Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #16
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If your goal is to learn how to put together an epub and remove the Calibre part of the process, skip Calibre altogether and go straight to Sigil.

You can start with almost any type of file (html, txt, docx, etc.), import them into Sigil (using import plugins when necessary), then build your epub from there.

Download Sigil User Guide here: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...tag/2021.05.27

See Tutorial section in particular to learn how to put together an epub. The chapter "Prepare Your File For Sigil" discusses how to import various file formats into Sigil. There is also a "Manage Plugins" chapter that explains how to use plugins.
I just read the Sigil user guide. Awesome stuff thanks.
jonesyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.

So now I have a better understanding of Sigil and how it works, I have a question.

Say I have a fully formatted html book in one html file (actually I do, this is not hypothetical). It includes a HTML TOC, and a decent sized appendix. Also all the CSS.

Is there a way of importing it and splitting it up in to sections without having to manually edit all the appendix links and TOC links etc?

I had a look through the plugins but I could not see anything.

Anyway I am just going to make a copy of a book to mess around with and see how I get on.

This question now is not on topic for the original thread I created. Should I create a new one or is it OK in here?
Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyb View Post
Say I have a fully formatted html book in one html file (actually I do, this is not hypothetical). It includes a HTML TOC, and a decent sized appendix. Also all the CSS.

Is there a way of importing it and splitting it up in to sections without having to manually edit all the appendix links and TOC links etc?
Yes.

Quote:
I had a look through the plugins but I could not see anything.
It's inherent to Sigil itself. No need to use plugins.

If you use Add File to add your existing html to a blank epub, it will pull in the css file as well (as long as the link to it is valid). After that, it's a matter of using the built in Split feature and adding the ToC semantic. Add File(s)/Splitting/Merging and adding semantics are things that are documented in the user guide.

But yes: feel free to start a new thread if you want some assistance in using these various Sigil features.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-17-2021 at 11:32 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
jonesyb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes.

It's inherent to Sigil itself. No need to use plugins.

If you use Add File to add your existing html to a blank epub, it will pull in the css file as well (as long as the link to it is valid). After that, it's a matter if using the built in Split feature and adding the ToC semantic. Add File(s)/Splitting/Merging and adding semantics are things that are documented in the user guide.

Thank you! Fully appreciated. I will crack on and see what happens.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #20
jonesyb
Enthusiast

Well that was an easy process. I have completed my mission.

Thank you for all your help everyone.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #21
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Well that was an easy process. I have completed my mission.

Thank you for all your help everyone.

@DiapDealer — now that the User Guide has been updated for 1.6.0+, would you consider putting a link to the User Guide in the Links section of the Sigil GitHub page, perhaps before or after the link to the MobileRead? Also maybe highlight the User Guide more prominently on the Sigil website Documentation page?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

@DiapDealer — now that the User Guide has been updated for 1.6.0+, would you consider putting a link to the User Guide in the Links section of the Sigil GitHub page, perhaps before or after the link to the MobileRead? Also maybe highlight the User Guide more prominently on the Sigil website Documentation page?
Sure. It's in the important links section of the Sigil github wiki, but I can add a link to the main readme if you think it will help.

But what would you suggest for making it more prominent on the documentation page? The link is already there. In my experience, it's not a problem of the link not standing out. The problem is they simply don't read the documentation page. Or any of the pages, really. For a large portion of the people who can't find the user guide, I've found that it's typically because the darn thing simply refuses to fall out of the sky and into their laps.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 PM   #23
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Sure. It's in the important links section of the Sigil github wiki, but I can add a link to the main readme if you think it will help.

But what would you suggest for making it more prominent on the documentation page? The link is already there. In my experience, it's not a problem of the link not standing out. The problem is they simply don't read the documentation page. Or any of the pages, really. For a large portion of the people who can't find the user guide, I've found that it's typically because the darn thing simply refuses to fall out of the sky and into their laps.
Ha! I didn't even remember there was a Wiki!

Anyway, when I went searching for a link to the User Guide for jonesyb, it took a lot of clicking for me to find it, whereas links to MobileRead were prominently posted everywhere, which is why I think people come here first and don't even realize there is a User Guide. If a link to the User Guide were posted wherever there is a link to MobileRead, more people might try the User Guide first (if that's even your goal).

For the Documentation page, if you want people to check the User Guide before asking on MobileRead, I suggest making that the first paragraph rather than the last. As it is, the first paragraph says: "Please consider the Sigil User Forums at Mobileread to be the primary resource for getting help with your Sigil questions." If I read that, I'd stop reading right there and click the Mobileread link, never making it to the last paragraph.

Also, you might attach a link to "Sigil User Guide" so that it's highlighted and clickable and make it capitalized and bold. That would make it more noticeable.

Code:
<p>The latest release of the <a href="https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil-user-guide/releases/latest"><strong>Sigil User Guide</strong></a> can always be found <a href="https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil-user-guide/releases/latest">in its own repository</a> (in EPUB format), as well as in the <a href="https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/tree/master/docs">docs directory</a> of the source tree.</p>

Last edited by odamizu; 06-18-2021 at 06:18 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Or any of the pages, really. For a large portion of the people who can't find the user guide, I've found that it's typically because the darn thing simply refuses to fall out of the sky and into their laps.
<sarcasm>What? The installer does not install the user guide and automatically open it after the install? What kind of user hostile software are you creating?</sarcasm>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #25
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you're consistent with your chapter titles, for example, I use h2 tags for chapter titles then you can use Sigil's insert split marker (ctl+shift+return) to have as a copy of what you're going to replace/change to. E.g., insert it just after the body line. Select the entire line with the split marker, ctl+x to cut it, then go down to the search and replace and put it in the Replace: box at the bottom. Above it in the Find: box put <h2, then in the Replace: box add that same <h2 at the end of the Replace: box. So then when you do replace all, all of the <h2s become split markers with an <h2 at the end of their line (or maybe on the next line). You can then use Mend and Prettify to add in line breaks after the split markers. Then do Split at Markers (f6). If you get it right you can have the .xhtml file names match the chapter numbers.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #26
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
<sarcasm>What? The installer does not install the user guide and automatically open it after the install? What kind of user hostile software are you creating?</sarcasm>
What? You mean the thing you're supposed to immediately click through as fast as possible and X right out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you're consistent with your chapter titles, for example, I use h2 tags for chapter titles then you can use Sigil's insert split marker (ctl+shift+return) to have as a copy of what you're going to replace/change to.

Insert > Split Marker (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) places this code within your EPUB:

Code:
<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />
then pressing Edit > Split At Markers (F6) splits the HTML files wherever that code is placed.

Or, like you mentioned, this can be done on a mass scale by using Search/Replace:

Search: <h2
Replace: <hr class="sigil_split_marker" /><h2

This looks for all "<h2" (or whatever else you use for chapter titles), then a simple F6 splits your entire book in one shot.

Example Code:

Original:

Code:
<p>Dedicated to jonesyb</p>

<h2>Chapter 1</h2>
<p>It was a dark and stormy night.</p>
<h2>Chapter 2</h2>
<p>I woke up in bed.</p>
After S&R (or manually placing splits):

Code:

<hr class="sigil_split_marker" /><h2>Chapter 1</h2>
<hr class="sigil_split_marker" /><h2>Chapter 2</h2>
<p>I woke up in bed.</p>
After F6:

Code:
Code:
<h2>Chapter 1</h2>
Code:
<h2>Chapter 2</h2>
<p>I woke up in bed.</p>

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-18-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:09 AM   #27
jonesyb
Enthusiast

Quote:
For a large portion of the people who can't find the user guide, I've found that it's typically because the darn thing simply refuses to fall out of the sky and into their laps.
maybe this is...erm... is directed at me here.

OK I admit, I can not remember how hard I looked for a user guide.

In fact, or at all. I am not very familiar with github at all. I am not sure it even crossed my mind. My idea was to just open sigil and use it. Or something like that.

But thank you. It has been fun learning this new software. I really like it.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:12 AM   #28
jonesyb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you're consistent with your chapter titles, for example, I use h2 tags for chapter titles then you can use Sigil's insert split marker (ctl+shift+return) to have as a copy of what you're going to replace/change to. E.g., insert it just after the body line. Select the entire line with the split marker, ctl+x to cut it, then go down to the search and replace and put it in the Replace: box at the bottom. Above it in the Find: box put <h2, then in the Replace: box add that same <h2 at the end of the Replace: box. So then when you do replace all, all of the <h2s become split markers with an <h2 at the end of their line (or maybe on the next line). You can then use Mend and Prettify to add in line breaks after the split markers. Then do Split at Markers (f6). If you get it right you can have the .xhtml file names match the chapter numbers.
I also use h2s for my chapters and this would work nicely. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:12 AM   #29
jonesyb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
What? You mean the thing you're supposed to immediately click through as fast as possible and X right out of?

Insert > Split Marker (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) places this code within your EPUB:

Code:
<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />
then pressing Edit > Split At Markers (F6) splits the HTML files wherever that code is placed.

Or, like you mentioned, this can be done on a mass scale by using Search/Replace:

Search: <h2
Replace: <hr class="sigil_split_marker" /><h2

This looks for all "<h2" (or whatever else you use for chapter titles), then a simple F6 splits your entire book in one shot.
This is super useful, thank you!
Old 06-18-2021, 01:13 AM   #30
jonesyb
Enthusiast

I converted my first book yesterday using Sigil. It and it worked great. Now I am going to go back and do all the rest of them and see what else I can learn along the way.

Thanks again