Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #4396
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was having some problems with my two Wemo devices a while back, so I just tossed them and got a few more TP-Link Kasa devices instead. I control them locally through my Hubitat hub.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #4397
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe the WiFi security protocol has changed with the home network change? This happened to me.

A suggestion for next time: do screen captures of your current WiFi settings, and when you get a new WiFi router, set everything (names, passwords, protocols, ...) To the same as the old network, that way you will not need to update every connecting device.
The only thing that is different was an accidental change to fix an immediate issue--lowercase letter instead of uppercase letter for my home network name, and, yeah, I had to update everything, which was a major pain. The plug was just about the last item, since it's rarely used. Good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I was having some problems with my two Wemo devices a while back, so I just tossed them and got a few more TP-Link Kasa devices instead. I control them locally through my Hubitat hub.
I may have a Kasa smart plug--if I can find it, I'll see if it does the job.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:26 AM   #4398
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I may have a Kasa smart plug--if I can find it, I'll see if it does the job.
I'm with ApK on this one. I've got multiple Kasa devices and all of them have been quite reliable, except for the very first one bought which has had to be reset a couple of times. But it's older hardware, one of the first generation from them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #4399
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Anyone using Wemo smart plugs and/or the Wemo app? I had the plug set up a couple of years ago and had used it occasionally, but my home network name has changed, and so I had to set it up again. Which I thought I did (after a lot of difficulty!); it worked when I tested it. But later when I wanted to set up a timer with the app, the app couldn't find the device--it's listed, but grayed out. The app won't connect to the network. The plug is in the same place it always was when it worked. I haven't even reached the step of trying to get the Dot to control the plug. Any ideas?
Does your Wemo smart plug have a built-in hub? I've got several TP-Link (Kasa) LED light bulbs, and they all have built-in hub capability. Occasionally one of the older 1st generation bulbs will lose connectivity with the Kasa app and with Alexa. (They can be controlled either way.) If I manually turn it off (or unplug it) for 20 seconds then toggle it back on it regains WiFi connectivity.

I have an Amazon branded smart plug too, but it doesn't have a built-in hub. It requires Alexa and an Echo device with hub capability. I haven't had any issue of it not connecting via WiFi, but it does occasionally ignore the timed on and off routines I set up in Alexa. I think that could be an Alexa issue though.

You probably already tried unplugging it and the plugging it back in again after 20 seconds, but if not, you might try that and see if it helps. It could also be a WiFi issue, as in being too far from the router. Try moving it closer to the router and see if it works then. If it still doesn't connect, then there is some other issue going on.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #4400
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turns out that my other smart plug isn't Kasa, but an Amazon smart plug. Which I set up with minimal issues. However, it does not do what I want to do--I want to use it as a sleep timer. There doesn't seem to be a routine for that--I don't want to schedule on/off times every day; I want to turn it on whenever and have it turn off an hour later. I could do this with the Wemo app when it worked; it seems to be beyond the capabilities of the Alexa app. The sleep timer is the only reason I want to use the stupid smart plug; otherwise I could use the dedicated remote.

So ... I tried redoing the Wemo plug setup; it's working properly now, but it initially worked properly yesterday too, so who knows how long that will last.

OtinG, I don't know anything about hubs; I know both these plugs worked when I used them for Christmas lights, which is the last time I used them.

The Wemo app allows you to set "rules" that include auto-off after a specified time. Does the Kasa app have that?
Old 05-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #4401
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use that feature in the Kasa app, but it appears that you can set a timer on it. But I don't see a way to have a specific device have an auto-timer.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #4402
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I don't use that feature in the Kasa app, but it appears that you can set a timer on it. But I don't see a way to have a specific device have an auto-timer.
I'm not following you. What I want--and which Wemo has--is a sleep timer like most TVs have these days; you hit the button on the remote to turn the set off in 10, 20, 30, etc. minutes so if you fall asleep, the set's not on all night long. If the Kasa app can do that, I'd look into buying a couple of Kasa plugs.

It seems like a basic, useful function for, say, a lamp plugged into a smart plug, so I'm pretty surprised that there doesn't seem to be a way to set it up as an Alexa routine. I don't want the timer to turn on or off at a specified hour; I want it to turn off after a specified interval once I turn it on.

The fact that I can't do something so straightforward easily--or at all--is what makes me resist all this smart home business. I don't think there's one useful thing that I've tried to get Alexa to do that hasn't required significant effort and a lot of frustration.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #4403
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I just tried this:

The following in the kasa app:

I had a plug named lamp.
Added a smart action for lamp that turns it off after 1 min after it is turned on.

Using an Echo:

"Alexa, turn on lamp"

Lamp turned on, and turned off after 1 min.

I previously enabled the kasa skill through the Alexa app.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #4404
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I just tried this:

I had a plug named lamp.
Added a smart action for lamp that turns it off after 1 min after it is turned on.

Using an Echo:

"Alexa, turn on lamp"

Perfect. That seems to cover what Catlady is looking for.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:54 AM   #4405
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
This may not be what you're looking for, but, supposedly you can set sleep timers to turn off smart devices with an echo:

"Set a sleep timer for 30 minutes with lights." This request turns off lights in the same group as your Alexa-enabled device.

"Set a sleep timer for 90 minutes with [smart home lighting device name/group name]."
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #4406
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
This may not be what you're looking for, but, supposedly you can set sleep timers to turn off smart devices with an echo:

"Set a sleep timer for 30 minutes with lights." This request turns off lights in the same group as your Alexa-enabled device.

"Set a sleep timer for 90 minutes with [smart home lighting device name/group name]."
I tried the copyrite's 2nd command and it worked, and audio stopped playing after the timer expired. Alexa replied that she was going to stop playing audio when I said the command.

I also tried this with the following voice command:

"Alexa set a sleep timer with <device_name> for 2 minutes" and it worked. When Alexa replied she didn't say anything about turning off audio. I tried the same command multiple times and Alexa sometime replied saying audio would be turned off (in addition to the plug being turned off). I think Alexa is turning off the audio every time.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #4407
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried this:

I had a plug named lamp.

Using an Echo:

"Alexa, turn on lamp"

Perfect, thanks; this sounds like what I'm looking for--I presume I could do this directly from the Kasa app without involving Alexa's voice control? I'm not fond of speaking to Alexa; we always get into arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

Thanks, it's kind of what I want, though I would prefer to bypass the speaking and use the Alexa app to set a routine. (I don't have groups--I think I tried to set up a group to have music play everywhere and never did get it to work.)

Quote:
I tried the copyrite's 2nd command and it worked, and audio stopped playing after the timer expired. Alexa replied that she was going to stop playing audio when I said the command.

I also tried this with the following voice command:

"Alexa set a sleep timer with <device_name> for 2 minutes" and it worked. When Alexa replied she didn't say anything about turning off audio. I tried the same command multiple times and Alexa sometime replied saying audio would be turned off (in addition to the plug being turned off). I think Alexa is turning off the audio every time.
This is why I hate talking to Alexa. Seems like the slightest variations in commands can become confusing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone. Right now, the Wemo app is still working, doing exactly what I want; if it starts getting wonky, I'll try the Amazon plug and the voice commands, or get a Kasa plug. (FYI, Amazon currently has Kasa plugs on sale, plus an extra 10% cash back--for a total of 15%--if you use an Amazon Prime credit card.)

Again, many thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #4408
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks, it's kind of what I want, though I would prefer to bypass the speaking and use the Alexa app to set a routine. (I don't have groups--I think I tried to set up a group to have music play everywhere and never did get it to work.)

I'm not sure if you are saying you can't use a routine, but I believe a routine could be used (but the timer would be specific to the routine).
Old 05-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #4409
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are saying you can't use a routine, but I believe a routine could be used (but the timer would be specific to the routine).
When I tried using the Amazon smart plug and the Alexa app, I didn't see a way to set a routine. I may try that plug in another room and play around with ways to get it to do what I want.

I did manage to set routines to turn Christmas window lights on and off, so I'm not totally hopeless!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #4410
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
When I tried using the Amazon smart plug and the Alexa app, I didn't see a way to set a routine. I may try that plug in another room and play around with ways to get it to do what I want.

I did manage to set routines to turn Christmas window lights on and off, so I'm not totally hopeless!
I have an Amazon Smart Plug I use with Alexa, and I named it "HEPA Filter Plug" because I use it to control a HEPA air filter.

When I open the Alexa app on my iPhone XR and select Devices at the bottom of the screen, I can see an icon for "Plugs" at the top of the Devices screen. (See attached images.)

When I select the Plugs icon, on the Plugs screen that displays I can see my plug named HEPA Filter Plug.

When I select More at the bottom of the screen, I can see an option for Routines on the screen. When I select Routines from the list, I see the Routines screen displayed which shows the four routines I created for my Amazon smart plug I named HEPA Filter Plug.

I basically wanted my HEPA air filter to run from 00:00 to 06:00 every morning, then again from 12:00 to 18:00 every afternoon. That allows to to run six hour then rest six hours then repeat that. I used four routines to accomplish that. One would have been better, but when I set these up I couldn't figure out how to combine them into a single routine. Regardless, I know this is different from what you want to do in that you want to be able to turn on your smart plug by selecting it in your Alexa app, then have it automatically turn itself off in 1 hours time. I'm not sure how to do that, but as you can see from my attached Alexa screen captures Alexa can see my Amazon smart plug.

I honestly don't remember how I went through the setup for this plug though as that was at least a year ago. Plus Amazon made a huge interface update to the Alexa app since then, so it has changed considerably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon-plug-01.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	186929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon-plug-02.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	186930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon-plug-03.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	186931  

Last edited by OtinG; 05-04-2021 at 01:09 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote