Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 03:28 AM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to prevent line-break before and after html tags?

So, I am using <q> and </q> to create « and ».

However, when I convert the epub to KFX, these tags allow for line-breaks before and after themselves sparingly. I attached a picture.

The text direction is rtl.

Finally, why does Kindle leaves so much space at the bottom. It is not always present. But I can't determine based on what it leaves space or start the new paragraph. The only thing I could think of is that if the following paragraph less than 2 lines, it does not start it on the previous page as not to leave one line by itself on the following page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	804C989F-DA93-49A7-9E02-1C48D5674650_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	186923   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D0BF57C-52B2-4F81-8F3D-3550E1A77BF6_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	604.7 KB
ID:	186924  
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
So, I am using <q> and </q> to create « and ».

However, when I convert the epub to KFX, these tags allow for line-breaks before and after themselves sparingly. I attached a picture.
I don't know why, but Amazon's conversion to KFX inserts a zero width space before and after the quote marks generated by the <q> element, which allows a line break there. To avoid that use the left double quotation mark and right double quotation mark Unicode characters instead of <q>.

Quote:
Finally, why does Kindle leaves so much space at the bottom. It is not always present. But I can't determine based on what it leaves space or start the new paragraph. The only thing I could think of is that if the following paragraph less than 2 lines, it does not start it on the previous page as not to leave one line by itself on the following page.
That is done by default in KFX to avoid widows and orphans, which are single lines at the top or bottom of a page. You can disable that by setting the widows:1 and orphans:1 properties in CSS. (More information in this thread.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't know why, but Amazon's conversion to KFX inserts a zero width space before and after the quote marks generated by the <q> element, which allows a line break there. To avoid that use the left double quotation mark and right double quotation mark Unicode characters instead of <q>.

That is done by default in KFX to avoid widows and orphans, which are single lines at the top or bottom of a page. You can disable that by setting the widows:1 and orphans:1 properties in CSS. (More information in this thread.)

Thank you so much! If I use the unicode, there won't be a method to control the <q> from css. For example, using <q> allows me to use quotes property to change which characters to use as quotations. Is there a way to keep that?
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Thank you so much! If I use the unicode, there won't be a method to control the <q> from css. For example, using <q> allows me to use quotes property to change which characters to use as quotations. Is there a way to keep that?
As far as I can tell if you use <q> for quotes in KFX it will always allow line breaks on either side of them. I don't know of any way to prevent that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kfx, kindle