Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-12-2021, 04:53 AM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
different View - possible or feature request?

Hallo

I'm working with calibre for many years now and I believe its the best software to manage epub - Thank you!

I do have come to a point where I would like to curate "groups of books" in addition to only curate a single book. To rephrase: is it possible to work on [series] as it is possible to work on single books. Is it - somehow - possible to get a view where the series can have additional metadata like
  • [series: rating] (a rating NOT for the single part but for the series)
  • [series: description] (for crime - series for example the location and some addition information as "located in Berlin, 1920's")
  • [virtual library: series] (having a view where it is possible to "drop" a complete series to a vl (including the feature that newly added books of the listed series will be added to the vl automatically)
  • [virtual library: genre] (making it possible to generate a view in which vl can be defined by a list of genre)

I do believe part of the idea is possible already but I'm not sure.
For some idea I believe additional features are needed. I would like to focus on the feature "having a view different from the traditional view focussing on a single publication but focussing on a group" (like a series).

I would be happy if someone could enlighten me.

Thanks for your help.
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Henning - for the first two (series: rating and series: description) you could add two custom columns:- series_rating/Series Rating and series_description/Series Description, then add empty zeroeth books (i.e. Blah Series [0]) and put the series rating and description in that book, you could hide those columns in the Book List and only show them in Book Details.

For the other two, virtual libraries are based on search expressions which could be something like series:"=My Series", but you could end up with lots of VLs. A simpler solution might be to use the Similar books tool:- e.g. Alt+S will show all books in the same series as the selected book.

And, have a look at the View Manager optional plugin, see ==>> Index of plugins.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-12-2021 at 03:35 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
@BetterRed: Thanks for helping.

I try to rephrase what I understood:
I create a "ghost book" for each series. The "ghost book" gets the Series Number "0".
I create custom [fields]. I use the "ghost book" within each series to asign series values like [series rating] or [series description].
I define the "book details" to show the fields like [series rating] and [series description].

I have four question:
(1) As the fields are empty for "regular books" of the series. As the view shows the content of the metadata associated with a book - if I have "book 2" of "seriesXYZ" selected, how is it possible, that the book details would show values of "book 0" of "seriesXYZ"?

(2) If I would like to sort my series based on a value like [series: rating] - how is it possible that the series actually get sorted? I would expect, that the books get sorted and not the series?
(If I have 2k books and 400 series I get 400 books with values of 1-5 and 1.6 k books with value "0". Let's say I want to generate a search with all books from all series with [series: rating]="4")

(3) If I would like to find series with a certain value in [series: description] - lets say I'm searching for the value "complete". I would expect to only get the "ghost books" of the [n] series which has the value "complete". But how to get the other books of the [n] series?!?
(Lets say the "main window shows the columns [author], [series], [series: rating] [series: description]. After the search for the value "complete" in the field [series: description] the main window would - lets say - show 100 series / rows / entries (as 100 of my 400 series are "complete").

(4) How do I get back to the actual books of a specific series. How do I get back to lets say "book 2" from "seriesXYZ"? ---- simply by using the value for [series] from the book details as link? Would that do the trick?

If I understand correctly - I can create "ghost books" to store "series related information". I can manage series by managing this "ghost books". It is not possible to show all books related to a specific "series related information" (like [series: rating]="4").

Did I understand you correct?

Henning
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest you create a test library by copying a representative subset of books and then experiment with the tools and features I previously suggested. If you are using Windows you could install the Portable version and use it as a testbed, then if something breaks you can start over.

Another couple of tools you may find useful are - Quickview and the CalibreSpy optional plugin.

Doing things in calibre is a bit like getting rid of a tree -- you could use an axe to chop it down, a chainsaw to cut it down, a dozer to push it over, or a heli-crane to pull it out

BR

PS: Or poison it with an injection of a powerful herbicide
Old 03-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not dynamite?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not dynamite?
This old promotional booklet actually suggests using dynamite for removing trees from farmland!
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not dynamite?
I've used gelly to blow stumps out, but not whole trees - back in the day when you could just go to the store and get a dozen sticks and detonators without any rigmarole. Gosh, I even had some blasting mats.

BR
Old 03-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just not on Dead Beached Whales
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:00 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I guess you could call that dynamite fishing on steroids

Tags
developement, library issue, series display, series organization