Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
chrubble
chrubble began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unify Duplicate Libraries (Mac OS X)

Hi,

Somehow, at some point, I've switch the location of my library from one virtual Google cloud drive to another. So, now in my Calibre library I have several hundred new books which are fine, but older books are listed but have no content in their folders except for a metadata file. I have located the original library and now I want to merge/unify the libraries to ensure that the ebook files all appear in the correct folders - I have a couple of thousand books, so I don't want to even think about doing this in a manual way.

Does anyone have tips on how I can combine the libraries and not lose content?

Thanks!

chrubble
chrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Google Drive is not compatible with Calibre. It destroys your library. That's why you have empty books. So, the first thing to do is to stop using Google Drive for your library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
chrubble

Thanks, Sirtel.

QUOTE=Sirtel;4082471]Google Drive is not compatible with Calibre. It destroys your library. That's why you have empty books. So, the first thing to do is to stop using Google Drive for your library.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrubble View Post
Thanks, Sirtel.

QUOTE=Sirtel;4082471]Google Drive is not compatible with Calibre. It destroys your library. That's why you have empty books. So, the first thing to do is to stop using Google Drive for your library.
[/QUOTE]

From the calibre FAQ's
Quote:
Even with these tools there is danger of data corruption/loss, so only do this if you are willing to live with that risk. In particular, be aware that Google Drive is incompatible with calibre, if you put your calibre library in Google Drive, you will suffer data loss. See this thread for details.
I do not know if the possible solutions work.

luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
chrubble

Thanks, Bernie.

So, with the knowledge that I have to take my library out of the Google Drive, is there any way to compare/combine the two sets of folders to create a unified library?

Many thanks,

chrubble

From the calibre FAQ's

I do not know if the possible solutions work.

luck
bernie[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2021, 01:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
add your second folder as anther library in calibre, and then use the copy to library function to copy the books from one library to another. You can control how duplicates are handled via the options in Preferences->Adding books
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:07 AM   #7
chrubble

Thank you, Kovid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
add your second folder as anther library in calibre, and then use the copy to library function to copy the books from one library to another. You can control how duplicates are handled via the options in Preferences->Adding books

Tags
libraries, merge, unify