Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Archive.org PDF scans on Kobo

I have a couple of PDF books from Archive.org/Open Library. (The ePubs provided are often not so great.)

They use some sort of layering/transparency for compression reasons, which I presume is the cause of various issues reading it on my e-Ink Kobo. Mostly it's just slowness in turning pages, which I can deal with. But then sometimes pages render badly (just the background layer, no visible text) or not at all. (Could it be running out of video memory? Does an e-Ink device even have video memory?)

I've been mucking around with trying to 'fix' the PDF file itself, but is there anything that can be done in Kobo to help?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-04-2021 at 04:42 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The layering that I'm aware of is to provide the scanned OCR'd text. If you open the pdf in SumatraPDF and go to its File menu (under the 3 bar thing at the top left) and select Save As, you can change the Save as Type from PDF documents to Text documents. Then you'll save the OCR'd text; most likely the same text that Archive.org provides for downloading when you download the text format.

Not all PDFs have this second invisible layer; one way to tell is when you move your mouse over the text where on my system the pointer changes from an arrow to the text selection I bar, where you can select and copy the text. But you're selecting and copying from that invisible OCR'd text layer. If there's no invisible text layer the mouse pointer doesn't change.

Years ago when Adobe first introduced this text layer they gave as an example how you could scan an entirely hand written page/document and manually create the invisible text layer and add it to the PDF, no doubt placing the words so that they lined up with the underlying scanned document. At the time, and I still am, I was very impressed with this ability. Everyone else seems to take it as commonplace. I guess I'm easily impressed.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PDF are going to be a very poor reading experience on your Aura HD even if they worked properly. Don't bother. Not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yes, I've seen the invisible text layer on some PDFs from other sources. From what I recall, the Internet Archive uses LuraTech's brand of mixed-raster content compression. Basically there's several different images and the text all layered on each page. It's pretty efficient in filesize, but slow to render and can look pretty terrible if done poorly.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-04-2021 at 06:01 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet archive