Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
CSS Question

I have <p> with text-indent = 2em since the vast majority of the time that's the default for a basic text paragraph.

Sometimes however (usually for a a group specially formatted paragraphs I use <p class="noindent">

I've tried to bracket a group with <div class="noindent"> ... </div> but the class seems to be ignored. If I can't do that, is there another way to 'turn off' indenting for a block of paragraphs?

Spoiler:
@charset "utf-8";
/* Styles for Test_CSS */
p {
text-indent: 2em;
}
.noindent {
text-indent: 0em;
}

and

Spoiler:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">

<head>
<title>Test_CSS</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css"/>
</head>

<body>

<h1>Test_CSS</h1>

<p>Some indented text </p>

<div class = "noindent">
<p>Some not indented text </p>
</div>

</body>

</html>
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Remember that CSS stands for cascading style sheet. In your example, the <div> is prior to the <p> so the <p> would be the final entry which results in the indent applying.

My personal choice is the base <p> has text-indent set to 0 and each paragraph that is indented get <p class="indent"> but that still wouldn't help you.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I've tried to bracket a group with <div class="noindent"> ... </div> but the class seems to be ignored. If I can't do that, is there another way to 'turn off' indenting for a block of paragraphs?
I was sure using !important would do the trick, but it doesn't.
So, here is another way:

Code:
p {
}
.noindent p {
}
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
I was sure using !important would do the trick, but it doesn't.
So, here is another way:

Code:
p {
}
.noindent p {
}
One problem with using that solution is that it does not seem to allow using <p class="noindent"> to not indent a single paragraph. I've attached a sample image from calibre's ebook-viewer where the last two paragraphs should not have an indent.

Spoiler:
Code:
<body>
  <p>The dwarf ignored them. <i>She’ll keep trying to crack me if I say my hounds</i> <i>told me.</i> “So, what? Another twenty blocks to go?”</p>

<p>“Something like that. Do you think you can keep your knife on your belt for that long?”</p>

<div class="noindent">
    <p>He scowled “We’ll see what happens.”</p>

<p>They made it twelve blocks before Rex and Luther both barked sharply.</p>

<p>“Hey, you smell that?”</p>

<p>“Yeah. Same smell in the deli. On that dented square on the floor.”</p>

<p>Johnny stopped on the dark street corner. “Hold on.”</p>

<p>Lisa had almost stepped onto the crosswalk in the street before she realized he wasn’t beside her anymore. “What?”</p>
  </div>

<p class="noindent">“Somethin’s off.”</p>

<p class="noindent">She fixed him with an irritated look. “Johnny, you gotta give me more than that.”</p>
</body>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test_page_ebookviewer.png
Views:	141
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	183304  
Old 11-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One problem with using that solution is that it does not seem to allow using <p class="noindent"> to not indent a single paragraph. I've attached a sample image from calibre's ebook-viewer where the last two paragraphs should not have an indent.
That was just an example for the specific code shared by the OP. But to address your case either, you can just ADD my suggestion to the original CSS:

Code:
p {
}
.noindent {
}
.noindent p {
  text-indent: 0em
}
See that a more specific rule takes precedence over the general one.

In other cases, you might need to apply it to everything but a specific class (let's call it 'special'); then you could declare it like this:

Code:
.noindent p:not(.special) {
}
If you want just the first instance of <p> to have that style, then use the '+' sign. This is good for styling first paragraphs without using classes, or for a drop cap (alongside with pseudo-selector 'first-letter'):

Code:
h1 + p {
}

Last edited by thiago.eec; 11-09-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@all - Thanks for the suggestions

The .noindent p seems to be the solution

I can still use just .noindent for paragraphs not bracketed by <div> and it works
Old 11-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A somewhat confusing way you could do it is to say
Code:
p { text-indent: 0; }
p + p { text-indent: 2em; }
Which says (confusingly) paragraphs by default have no indent, but paragraphs following a paragraph (which are the majority) are indented. So the first one ends up handling paragraphs after h, blockquote, etc. tags.

Clever, but as I said, confusing.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
A somewhat confusing way you could do it is to say
Code:
p { text-indent: 0; }
p + p { text-indent: 2em; }
Which says (confusingly) paragraphs by default have no indent, but paragraphs following a paragraph (which are the majority) are indented. So the first one ends up handling paragraphs after h, blockquote, etc. tags.

Clever, but as I said, confusing.
That won't do it. He wants to style a BLOCK of paragraphs. What you suggested only works for a single paragraph following a different element other then <p>.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That won't do it. He wants to style a BLOCK of paragraphs. What you suggested only works for a single paragraph following a different element other then <p>.
True. I should have said it was another way to do unindented paragraphs which is typically done after h and other tags, e.g., your h1+p example.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

Dunno if this is helpful but another thing I do is chain or stack classes. There are things that I consider "blocks" that are inset and styled differently than the running body; letters, telegrams, articles, etc. A lot of times you see blockquote used for this but some argue that that's semantically incorrect, which I go along with (although to me it's 50/50 but I'll go along with those who probably know more than I do).

So I have a basic block that's a div
Code:
div.block {
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-top: 1em;
    width: 85%;
}
Then for the specific type things like
Code:
div.article {
    font-family: sans-serif;
}
div.letter p {
    font-style: italic;
    hyphens: none;
}
And to use it it's
Code:
<div class="block letter"><p>blah</p><p>blah</p></div>
As a side note I don't understand (or have forgotten) why the div.article doesn't need the space p while the div.letter does. E.g., if you do
Code:
<div class="article block">First article sentence.</div>
<div class="letter block">First letter sentence.</div>
The article sentence is sans serif but the letter sentence is not italic.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Then for the specific type things like
Code:
div.article {
    font-family: sans-serif;
}
div.letter p {
    font-style: italic;
    hyphens: none;
}
And to use it it's
Code:
<div class="block letter"><p>blah</p><p>blah</p></div>
As a side note I don't understand (or have forgotten) why the div.article doesn't need the space p while the div.letter does. E.g., if you do
Code:
<div class="article block">First article sentence.</div>
<div class="letter block">First letter sentence.</div>
The article sentence is sans serif but the letter sentence is not italic.
The letter sentence requires a p tag for the "div.letter p" to apply -- it applies to p elements inside a div element.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Dunno if this is helpful but another thing I do is chain or stack classes. There are things that I consider "blocks" that are inset and styled differently than the running body; letters, telegrams, articles, etc. A lot of times you see blockquote used for this but some argue that that's semantically incorrect, which I go along with (although to me it's 50/50 but I'll go along with those who probably know more than I do).
If using HTML5 (Epub3), you can use <aside> and <article> for those.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #13
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
If using HTML5 (Epub3), you can use <aside> and <article> for those.
Does the Calibre editor support epub3?

Is there a quick list of the differences between the epub2 and epub3 specifications? (Maybe EPUB3 for Dummies??)

Right now for things like letters, signs, telegrams, etc. I have various flavors of .blockquote so it'd be nice if I could simplify my CSS with things like <atricle. and <aside>
Old 11-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Right now for things like letters, signs, telegrams, etc. I have various flavors of .blockquote so it'd be nice if I could simplify my CSS with things like <atricle. and <aside>

The problem for me is that when I work on other people's ebooks, I have to keep almost everything to the lowest common denominator. If I use an epub3 only feature, I have to make sure that it looks good on epub2, epub3, azw3 and (blechh...) even mobi. KISS is the mantra.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #15
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Does the Calibre editor support epub3?
Yeas, it does.

Quote:
Is there a quick list of the differences between the epub2 and epub3 specifications? (Maybe EPUB3 for Dummies??)
http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-changes.html

Basically:

- Added HTML5 support
- SVG documents can now appear in the spine in EPUB 3
- Support for MathML
- Navigation improved (drops NCX and adopts XHTML)
- Scripting
- Added modules from CSS3
- Embedded Audio and video
- Media overlays

Other features were introduced, then dropped later (its Epub 3.2, now). Some of then were never implemented by any reading system. There are also some other features, but not very outstanding.