Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Logarithmic
Logarithmic began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Adding "Comments" as a custom column

How do I add comments as a custom column. So I can check to make sure the books have their descriptions?

(What I mean by comments in case it was not clear)
Logarithmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-26 12_51_56-Create a custom column.png
Views:	59
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	182991

This'll display the HTML code though. Don't know if there's much to be done about it.

Searching comments:false will also get you books with no comments.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See the section, "Why doesn't calibre have a column for foo?"

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id34

I recently added a column similar to what you want and made it a Yes/No column. I wish there was a way (or I knew how to set it up) to have it toggle this to Yes when I download the metadata for the comments.

Last edited by hobnail; 10-26-2020 at 01:00 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
See the section, "Why doesn't calibre have a column for foo?"

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id34

I recently added a column for what you want and made it a Yes/No column. I wish there was a way (or I knew how to set it up) to have it toggle this to Yes when I download the metadata for the comments.
Try this for a comp column, and set "Show checkmarks":

Code:
program: 
	test(field('comments'), 'Yes', '')
Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Wizard

Note that there's probably a nicer template that uses the "new "if/else/then" functions. I just had that one handy.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
Logarithmic
Logarithmic began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Thanks for all the replies so quickly! You guys are amazing!

So for anyone wondering exactly what I did, I copied exactly what ownedbycats showed in the image and then put "program:test(field('comments'), 'Yes', '')" instead of just "{comments}" and it works fantastic!!!

thanks again you two!

Last edited by Logarithmic; 10-26-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Logarithmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If a book has anything in Comments I put a 'page' icon on the Title column otherwise a 'blank' icon. Avoids having to create a column.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Wizard

Unfortunately you can't sort with column icons.