Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #181
ernieh
Enthusiast
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Received the PB Color a few days ago so can give my comments.
Great for a gadget lover like me but not a practical item. The colour is pathetic next to a tablet or a cell phone and as a ereader it is only just adequate, the chief problem there being the background to print contrast is not nearly as good as other ereaders. Even an old Kobo mini is way better

Last edited by ernieh; 08-30-2020 at 03:07 AM.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #182
Markismus
Fanatic
Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.Markismus can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: OnyxNotePro, lot of cracked Kobo's
It’s on sale for 170€ on iBood:
https://www.ibood.com/nl/nl/product-...56a0d0ed4f9737
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #183
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Stil no Pocketbook support page? Nowhere?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #184
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Stil no Pocketbook support page? Nowhere?
What do you mean by a Pocketbook support page? Do you mean Pocketbook's websites? They exist.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-12-2020 at 02:02 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #185
ps67
Fanatic
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Color PB633
May be he means that at the Pocketbook support page if you search about PB633 Color You can't find it. There are all Pocketbook device but not the Color.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/support
ps67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #186
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
May be he means that at the Pocketbook support page if you search about PB633 Color You can't find it. There are all Pocketbook device but not the Color.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/support
I did find the PB633 Color if I search for color on the site you linked but singularly uninformative since no firmware, manual or release notes links associated it it. I seem to remember having found a bit more information but the link I used is now 404ed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #187
ky˘dai
Enthusiast
ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is a great in-depth article about the new PB Color on the german site papierlos-lesen.de with lots of pictures.

-> https://papierlos-lesen.de/testberic...en-test-68933/

- First picture shows how the screen displays "white".
- Second picture shows how each color (red, green, blue, white, black) is displayed.
- The other two pictures are a comparison with a tablet lcd screen and a regular (black/white) E-Ink screen with the front light turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PocketBook-Color-Detail-weisses-Display.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	181963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidodisplay-Farben.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	181964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmvergleich-PocketBook-Color_vs_iPad-Mini.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	181965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmvergleich-unbeleuchtet_PocketBook-Color_vs_Touch-Lux-4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	181966  
ky˘dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #188
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky˘dai View Post
There is a great in-depth article about the new PB Color on the german site papierlos-lesen.de with lots of pictures.

- Second picture shows how each color (red, green, blue, white, black) is displayed.
- The other two pictures are a comparison with a tablet lcd screen and a regular (black/white) E-Ink screen with the front light turned off.
Thanks for the very nice pictures. Even the thumbnails give some nice information.

My take is that it is a significant improvement to Triton, but I don't think I would find it useful for anything.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #189
ernieh
Enthusiast
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky˘dai View Post

The thumbnails illustrate exactly what I said, lousy colour compared to a tablet, lousy contrast compared to a black and white ereader...
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #190
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
It's what I thought, needs front-light on or sunlight to actually use at all, due to much less light reflected.
Colour is poor for maybe three reasons: Compromise half-pixel filter coverage to allow more reflected light, only 14 shades of grey as well as black and white (poorer white than any eink ever) and possibly less dense colour filter to improve brightness.

At 6" it's also too small for many colour applications, so a very niche eink and eink itself is niche. For most colour documents a 10" or larger tablet is needed. Entry level is Android at about $100 and posh level is the iPad from about $400, certainly the iPad screen resolution is much better than the ordinary Android tablets, so better value than the Apple Watch or iPhone.

Really I'd not pay $100 for it. I might consider it as a novelty purchase at $50 or less.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
I didn't realize how poor the contrast si compared to an eInk carta screen. There's no way I'd buy one because of that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #192
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The thumbnails illustrate exactly what I said, lousy colour compared to a tablet, lousy contrast compared to a black and white ereader...
I don't mind the faded color so much (looks kind of like old, hand-tinted photos and I don't mind that), it's the "grayish" screen for text that would be more of a bother. Not sure how noticeable that is in dim light with the reader's front light on.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #193
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I'm sure the front light compensates, but I rarely use the light on my PW3 or Kobo Libra. The Original H2O I have is slightly less grey than the PW3 or Libra, perhaps because there is no capacitive touch layer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote