Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Battery not charging (says it's charged)

So I'm having some issues with a Kobo Mini.

Unresponsive until plugged into charger, then starts up and works fine. Battery level displays as "charged". Connects to computer with no problem, goes to sleep, etc. However when disconnected from cable, becomes unresponsive.

I updated to the latest firmware for this device (some versions back compared to the rest). Still the same issue.

Took the back off, unplugged the battery, plugged it in again. Put back back on. Still the same issue.

It's on the wall charger just now. Shall I just leave it there for a few hours? Or is it time to order a replacement battery?
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is probably time for a new battery.

I have a Touch here just like that. It works perfectly when plugged in, but, unplug it and it stops working. Plug it in and it boots and the battery meter implies it is charging. But, unplug it, and it stops again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that's what I suspected.

I noticed one odd thing, that when the wall charger is plugged in the "Connect to computer" dialogue comes up. Maybe a different cable would make a difference? However this cable charges phones and other devices with no probems, and is clearly booting up the reader so power is getting through, just not to the battery it seems.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I updated to the latest firmware for this device (some versions back compared to the rest). Still the same issue.
You can install the 4.23.15548 firmware for the Mini. Even though it's unofficial, the Mini is still supported. You just have to download a Kobo4 version of the firmware and do a manual update.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can install the 4.23.15548 firmware for the Mini. Even though it's unofficial, the Mini is still supported. You just have to download a Kobo4 version of the firmware and do a manual update.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Aha! I had not realised that. Will give it a try.

Manual update via computer connection I presume?

[EDIT] - I won't brick my device by installing unsupported hardware..?

Last edited by Crowriver; 08-25-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 08-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Crowriver
Groupie

Okay that was painless to update the firmware to the very latest version.

Still need a new battery though*: only a few quid off AliXpress. It's the month long wait for it to arrive...

* - Still device claims "Charged 100%" which, frankly is not true. Presume it is just registering the charger voltage as a "full charge".

Last edited by Crowriver; 08-25-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Still need a new battery though*: only a few quid off AliXpress. It's the month long wait for it to arrive...

* - Still device claims "Charged 100%" which, frankly is not true. Presume it is just registering the charger voltage as a "full charge".
From my experience with laptops and other devices with Li-Ion batteries, when the battery finally dies, about half show no charging and zero charge level. The others show the battery charges and is at 100%, but turn off as soon as you disconnect. I assume it is differences in how the charging circuits work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery problem, kobo mini, not charging