Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.23.15505

Firmware 4.23.15505 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.23.15505

Kobo firmware 4.23.15505 has been released. As of August 10, 2020, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Nia, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick Gaskin (geek1011). Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Release notes....

Easier navigation

Now, you can access and discover more books or go back to the Home screen with one less tap.

Tap More to see everything else like reading activity, settings, and help articles. You can now scroll up and down your list of books.

New

• We’ve added a clock to the upper-left side of your screen

• Check release note information by going to Settings > Device Information > View release notes
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This will be an interesting update. I'll have a look at it and update the patches later today.

Edit: Well, ugh. There goes the main menu location for NickelMenu. I'll be able to make use of it and add items to it, but it will require an update to NM which will be somewhat large. If everything goes well, that'll be done within the next few days. For the record, I dislike the changes to the home screen.

Edit 2: I just had another idea. I might be able to hook the clock in the top-left and turn it into a dedicated menu for NM, as it's currently just a normal label.

Edit 3: Hopefully the "Check release note information by going to Settings > Device Information > View release notes" means that we'll be getting better release notes from now on.

Edit 4: I'll never get rid of my muscle memory for the top-left menu ... I've been pressing it too many times when working on NickelMenu . I'll really need to see if I can put a menu back there.

Last edited by geek1011; 08-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wonder if the onscreen clock will be optional. I'd rather not have it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

Random things about this firmware version:
  • Top-left main menu (i.e. the one which appears everywhere except for the reader) is now a clock (everywhere, not just the home screen).
  • New global bottom navigation (Home/My Books/Discover/More[My Articles/Activity/Beta Features/Settings/Help]). State persists between these views. This also means I'll need to re-test all of the NickelMenu actions making use of the MainWindowController.
  • New style for library tabs (it looks nicer to me).
  • No more pagination controls in the library views.
  • The right side of the book list in the library seems to be misaligned on my Aura2v1? (update: this was the space reserved for the scrollbar, but I still don't like it...)
  • There's a new `org.bluealsa` DBus wrapper in libnickel, implying the next Kobo will have Bluetooth audio?!?
  • There's a new ReadingMenuTab widget (currently unused) with TOC and annotation items, implying they were testing making the reading view popup have toc/annotation tabs (I hope not, as that will waste quite a bit of space).
  • The web browser now appears as a pop-up with a huge amount of wasted space.
  • TODO

Last edited by geek1011; 08-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It only shows on the top left of my home menu, and on the top right when I open the menu while reading, it's not constantly on display in my open book. I quite like that compromise - there if needed, not always on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock1.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	181221   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock2.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	181222  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Edit 4: I'll never get rid of my muscle memory for the top-left menu ... I've been pressing it too many times when working on NickelMenu . I'll really need to see if I can put a menu back there.
I still curse under my breath every time I want to change a font or size about hating the new location, I still go to the bottom right for it.

Quote:
Same here, I love the Miniclock add-on that can also show battery percent left placed in the bottom right corner. I always stop at the bottom of a page so I can read a line or 2 to remember where I was, so having the time in the bottom right works best for me.

I possibly will be staying on the older firmware for quite awhile and avoid updating.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I still curse under my breath every time I want to change a font or size about hating the new location, I still go to the bottom right for it.
I actually liked that change, since it works better with the way I hold the device and it's a lot more streamlined. But, the next worst part of the new menu location is that it's an entire new tab for the "More" button, rather than just a pop-up menu.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It only shows on the top left of my home menu, and on the top right when I open the menu while reading, it's not constantly on display in my open book. I quite like that compromise - there if needed, not always on.
Great - I just didn't want it to display while I'm actually reading.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Some notes since I updated my backup forma (which seems to have resolved its USB port issue leaving me with an 8gb and 32gb forma now ah well).

The clock appears in the upper left when you are on the home screen, library (and all the sub divisions of library), and the store (the tab for which is labeled discover). It also appears in your currently open book, but only when you've tapped to bring up menus otherwise it's invisible.

Library screen - "books" "authors" "series" and "collections" tabs themselves appear smaller (i suspect those who use the large print mode will need it for them now). These tabs no longer show page x of y for how many pages of whichever you have, you can still sort them and in the case of the base library filter them as you are able on the previous firmware.

The menu navigation they added (which is used on the home/library/discover screens) is fairly standard looking.

There is now a "notifications" indicator, though I have no new notifications currently, I'm not sure what would go here other than maybe overdrive book loans which are about to expire, or new firmware waiting (I doubt this last one though). This indicator is an outline of a bell, I don't know what it'd look like if I had a notification for the previously stated reason.

kepub page turns seem ever so slightly faster but I mean fractions of a second and I honestly don't have an issue with the page turns regardless.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I like the clock.
The clock tells time.
Without the clock, there would be chaos.
It is good to have the clock.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
There is now a "notifications" indicator, though I have no new notifications currently, I'm not sure what would go here other than maybe overdrive book loans which are about to expire, or new firmware waiting (I doubt this last one though). This indicator is an outline of a bell, I don't know what it'd look like if I had a notification for the previously stated reason.
That one's been there a while for devices with OverDrive support for hold notifications. Maybe they expanded it to other locations?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That one's been there a while for devices with OverDrive support for hold notifications. Maybe they expanded it to other locations?
Yeah I see it’s on my 32gb Forma which is on the previous firmware until patches and nickel menu gets updated. I probably missed it or forgot it was added.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I like the clock.
The clock tells time.
Without the clock, there would be chaos.
It is good to have the clock.

I'm fine with it since Uncle Robin reported it doesn't show up when you're actually reading.

I sometimes have insomnia. If I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning and decide to read for a little while until I can hopefully go back to sleep, I wouldn't want a clock right there at the top of the book reminding me of the time.

Tags
firmware, firmware release