Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
rasteps
rasteps began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Language for recipe covers

I have been looking for the answer to this question for weeks and hit a dead end.

I am using a Windows 10 64bit machine. And I have calibre set up with an English language interface, and my news feed dialog is also in English except for the days of the week. This is not a problem, except for news recipes which output the date on the cover.

I have tried setting the environment language override variable to no avail.

How can I change the news feed setting to see English dates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the japan times.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	176390   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	176391  
rasteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
date formatting uses the sytem locale not calibre interface language, since language is not quite enough information to determine how to format dates.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
rasteps

Can this be overridden in anyway?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Set the locale related enviornment variables, LANG and LCALL that might work, though am not sure if it will on windows.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
rasteps

I tried using the following shortcut command to launch calibre:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET LC_ALL=en_US && START /D ^"C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\PortableApps\Calibre Portable^" calibre-portable.exe"

but the result was the same.....no joy.
Advert
Old 01-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then your only option is changing the system locale.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #7
rasteps

Okay. I took your advice and change the system locale using LC_ALL = en_US and rebooted, but there is no change .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	env.var.png
Views:	6
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	176459  
Old 01-16-2020, 12:51 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your windows user interface language has to be in english, changing the envirnment variable wont do anything, since apparently env vars are not used on windows.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
rasteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Your windows user interface language has to be in english, changing the envirnment variable wont do anything, since apparently env vars are not used on windows.
That's what I was afraid of.... How is it that my Calibre interface is completely in English but the newsfeed part cannot be? ... Then again.. Calibre does so much. I guess it's greedy to ask for more.

Thank you for your advice. I will give up now.