Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #586
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiersaintO View Post
But...

• If you choose the "touch" mode to turn pages, you can not remove the "slide" option, and because of the sensitivity of the screen, you often go back instead of going forward when you touch the screen.
Yes, if I drag my finger a bit, that can happen. But, personally, it is about 1 in 50 taps that do it.
Quote:
  • The buttons are too far from the sides. So they are not very easy to use when you hold the reader with both hands (except if your thumbs are 10 cm long!). With a PocketBook touchlux for example you do not need to loosen one hand to turn the page and it is very comfortable...
Do you mean in landscape mode? Because, otherwise, I can't work out how you are holding the device that the buttons aren't under your thumbs.
Quote:
  • In landscape mode the inversion of the buttons does not work (bug).
That's not the case here. When I put the buttons in the inverted mode, the page turned in the expected direction no matter how I held the device
Quote:
  • Whatever the area screen setting, except if you use the center of the screen, you often trig the parameter menu instead of turning a page.
Again, it is working perfectly here. For each of the tap zones I tried, they worked correctly for all screen orientations.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #587
GanoesParan
GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.GanoesParan shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanel View Post
Hello,

I've just got my Libra H20 but I'm disappointed as the screen has an issue:

- the backlight diminish from left to right (were are the buttons ) and there are some black lines again on the same right side

It's a known issue this? Should I returned it?
Hi!

I have received my Libra (the white version) 2 days ago.
I can confirm that the lighting is uneven. It is darker on the buttons side. The effect is more pronounced as the lighting intensity increases, but what it accentuates it even more is the natural light.

The more you slide the natural light to the right the more visible the gradient becomes. This makes me think that the LEDs for this are on the thin left side which is weird as they could have easily balanced the number of LEDs on both sides considering the thickness and length on the right side of the device.

I also can observe the thin black lines on the edges of the display but they don't bother me near as much as the lighting.

I really like the device otherwise, but the only way I can use it without the light bothering me is with natural light off and brightness at max. 20%. Or in landscape mode where the gradient is from top to bottom and much less visible.

It's a shame because the natural light is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Since I can't return it I'm stuck with it but I wanted to let others know about this issue. I'm starting to regret not buying the Kindle Oasis, despite the price difference.

Also, without the light on, the display is indeed on the greenish side. Much more so than my 10 years old Kindle 2 which means I need to have at least 20% brightness in order to read.

One other issue I'm not happy with is the speed of the dictionary. It is much slower than on the kindle paperwhite.

I attached some pictures even though in reality the effect is much more pronounced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_124852.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	175481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_122100.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	175482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_122109.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	175483  
GanoesParan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #588
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, unfortunately the uneven frontlight of the Libra is a common issue, as is the greenish tinge on some devices. Still, I have to say that having used the Libra for a couple of months now, I don't notice the light problems so much anymore. I do use the comfort light. Yes, the Oasis has more even light, but the Libra is still a fine device and I have not regretted buying it.

As to the dictionary, it's not particularly fast, but nothing awful, imho. Also the default dictionary isn't so poor as I feared. I did install an additional one, though.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #589
cybernaut
Banned
cybernaut began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, unfortunately the uneven frontlight of the Libra is a common issue, as is the greenish tinge on some devices. Still, I have to say that having used the Libra for a couple of months now, I don't notice the light problems so much anymore. I do use the comfort light. Yes, the Oasis has more even light, but the Libra is still a fine device and I have not regretted buying it.

As to the dictionary, it's not particularly fast, but nothing awful, imho. Also the default dictionary isn't so poor as I feared. I did install an additional one, though.
Honestly I think the lighting issues are blown out proportion and can't help but wonder if the negative reviews come from people with the OCD Psychiatric disorder or paid shills for Amazon.

I picked one up today and the lighting issue bothered for a grand total of 10 minutes before I got used to it. My nook glowlight plus had better even lighting but was overall inferior.

Anyway, the text does not extend into dark spot in any meaningful significant way.

The new Kobo line of readers are superior for scholars, students and analytical readers of non-fiction due to the new scrub bar features.

However, superficial 8th grade level fiction readers who like Harry Potter, Tom Clancy, Dan Brown and Stephen king are better off with a Kindle.
cybernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #590
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Yeah I agree with Cybernaut about the OCD thing. I wouldn't go as far as saying Kobos are good for non-fiction. The forma with the 8" screen is good for some non-fiction books like Far from the Tree and Strange Glow. But for technical reading like textbooks, journals, and the like, I would get a e-ink device with 10-13" screen like the Max Pro 3. For fiction, the Kobos and Kindles are great.

My forma has the light band issue but it isn't noticeable unless the light is cranked up all the way.

The reading experience is awesome, and at the end, that is what counts. I'm totally happy with my Forma that I bought from bookyboy.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 AM   #591
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernaut View Post
The new Kobo line of readers are superior for scholars, students and analytical readers of non-fiction due to the new scrub bar features.

However, superficial 8th grade level fiction readers who like Harry Potter, Tom Clancy, Dan Brown and Stephen king are better off with a Kindle.
This superior tone sounds strangely familiar...

I do like Stephen King. Quite a bit in fact. Maybe I'd better trade in my Kobo for a Kindle. Maybe stop wearing shoes while I'm at it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:22 AM   #592
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Honestly I think the lighting issues are blown out proportion and can't help but wonder if the negative reviews come from people with the OCD Psychiatric disorder or paid shills for Amazon.

I picked one up today and the lighting issue bothered for a grand total of 10 minutes before I got used to it. My nook glowlight plus had better even lighting but was overall inferior.

Anyway, the text does not extend into dark spot in any meaningful significant way.

Must feel good to come here and register and make your first post about degrading other people. I bet you feel amazing right now.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #593
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
This superior tone sounds strangely familiar...

I do like Stephen King. Quite a bit in fact. Maybe I'd better trade in my Kobo for a Kindle. Maybe stop wearing shoes while I'm at it.
Do you want to climb a tree with me?
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #594
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

You won't make many friends here by criticizing what members read and what device they choose to read on. It also points out an area of intolerance in your attitude and tone.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #595
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Do you want to climb a tree with me?
I do! With lots of superficial fiction too.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #596
Nirekeyaki
Nirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Libra 2 - Clara HD
Quote:

Some people have more visual sensitivity for slight changes in color or hue.
Nirekeyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #597
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirekeyaki View Post
Some people have more visual sensitivity for slight changes in color or hue.
The poster's superiority complex as revealed in the cheap, borderline ad hominem slur at the end of the post you quoted nicely illustrates the level of credence it should be given. And I say that as an emphatically non-scholarly, non-analytical reader of both non-fiction and fiction on my Kobo.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-10-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #598
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The poster's superiority complex as revealed in the cheap, borderline ad hominem slur at the end of the post you quoted nicely illustrates the level of credence it should be given. And I say that as an emphatically non-scholarly, non-analytical reader of both non-fiction and fiction on my Kobo.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #599
Nirekeyaki
Nirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Libra 2 - Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Nirekeyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #600
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Back on topic, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote