Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by restinginlove View Post
The yellow/orange tint makes that much of a difference?? Dang. It's in my cart, guess I'll go for it, I just hate to retire my Glo HD when it has a lot of life left.
It's a personal thing. Some love it, some hate it. Some dial it all the way up, some just a little. I do the latter. It makes it a little easier to read, but, any more colour and I'm aware of the colour.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
one more question if you don't mind, is it possible to have black background with white text (accessibility mode type thing)? tia
Yes you can have inverted mode on any current Kobo, but it's not an official released feature at the moment. There are 2 different ways to enable the 'hidden' feature. Both involve ticking a checkbox in Settings.

One option involves using the kobopatch system to re-purpose a rarely-used, but easily accessible, standard setting checkbox, to switch it on/off. Kobopatch has very many handy tweaks, but it is hacking which not everyone is comfortable with.

The second option is not hacking and involves enabling Developer options by entering devmodeon in the search bar. This 'un-hides' an extra menu in Settings with several new options (most a bit esoteric) but one of which is a useful Invert Screen checkbox.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-02-2019 at 08:48 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Me I like the blue tint
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes you can have inverted mode on any current Kobo, but it's not an official released feature at the moment. There are 2 different ways to enable the 'hidden' feature. Both involve ticking a checkbox in Settings.

One option involves using the kobopatch system to re-purpose a rarely-used, but easily accessible, standard setting checkbox, to switch it on/off. Kobopatch has very many handy tweaks, but it is hacking which not everyone is comfortable with.

The second option is not hacking and involves enabling Developer options by entering devmodeon in the search bar. This 'un-hides' an extra menu in Settings with several new options (most a bit esoteric) but one of which is a useful Invert Screen checkbox.
thank you for your detailed answer. I can handle both dev mode and hacking but would go the easier route until I know my way around enough to start hacking. been doing a lot of reading and it's all gobbledygook right now having come from a kindle.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #20
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #21
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Me I like the blue tint
me too
Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #22
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Me I like the blue tint
I like night mode on my phone at night but can still read fine at night with my current Glo and its cool lighting, so I didn't snag it My beloved Glo HD better last a while longer, loose usb port and all!
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #23
FrozenTrout
FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: iPad, Kobo Aura 2, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
am I to understand that I can have book covers show on my Clara HD I just ordered? do I have to do anything special? also, and thank you in advance, anything you want to tell me, tips, etc., would be welcome. haven't found too many threads on this device yet. coming from a PW2.
If you ordered it from Walmart, it will by default display a Walmart lock screen. However, you can easily fix that - connect it to your computer, enter the .kobo folder, and open affiliates.conf with a text editor. Change the line “affiliate=Walmart” (or WalmartHybrid or whatever it is) to “affiliate=Kobo” and save the file.

Also, instead of the current book cover, you can have the lock screen display images you place in a certain folder: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321609
FrozenTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #24
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

@FrozenTrout

thank you. great info
Old 12-04-2019, 01:56 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
am I to understand that I can have book covers show on my Clara HD I just ordered? do I have to do anything special? also, and thank you in advance, anything you want to tell me, tips, etc., would be welcome. haven't found too many threads on this device yet. coming from a PW2.
Just go to Settings, then Energy Saving & Privacy and you'll find the option to display book covers or not.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #26
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just go to Settings, then Energy Saving & Privacy and you'll find the option to display book covers or not.
thank you!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yes, but I believe you have to change the affiliate first, as FrozenTrout described. That's what I remember from my first Kobo reader. When I got my Clara, I changed the affiliate before doing anything else.

Does displaying book covers over-ride the affiliate lock screen?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, but I believe you have to change the affiliate first, as FrozenTrout described. That's what I remember from my first Kobo reader. When I got my Clara, I changed the affiliate before doing anything else.

It's the other way around. Some affiliates remove the options to display the cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's the other way around. Some affiliates remove the options to display the cover.
I didn't know that. I guess I've never had a Kobo with an affiliate that blocked cover displays. Does Walmart do this?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:

Well no. It sounds like I had it right. You have to change the affiliate before you can display the cover, at least with some affiliates.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote