Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #46
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
OK - everyone mock me if you want to (lol), but I'm trying one of these (ordered one).
They are made out of a somewhat soft silicone apparently - It was $6 - why not, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	g97vWHr.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	175382

Last edited by issybird; 12-06-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Oversize image.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
OK - everyone mock me if you want to (lol), but I'm trying one of these (ordered one).
They are made out of a somewhat soft silicone apparently - It was $6 - why not, right?
Wow, that's the one I used with my basic kindle back then. A wave of nostalgia just hit me.

Last edited by issybird; 12-06-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Oversize image.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #48
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Wow, that's the one I used with my basic kindle back then. A wave of nostalgia just hit me.
What am I in for?
Does it totally suck?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What am I in for?
Does it totally suck?
No, not at all. From the ergonomic viewpoint it's very nice. I just moved on from the basic and got the sleep cover for my next reader (the Voyage). And then I moved on to the Oasis 1 which had its own cover, and then to the Oasis 2 and ditched the covers altogether since then.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #50
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, not at all. From the ergonomic viewpoint it's very nice.
Excellent! That’s what I’m after (ergonomics)
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #51
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Oh, I actually like it! I hope it feels nice to hold.

Where did you get it from?

Last edited by issybird; 12-06-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Oversize image.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #52
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Oh, I actually like it! I hope it feels nice to hold.

Where did you get it from?
eBay seller - but they are on Amazon too

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Voyage...00NQI9GSU?th=1
Old 11-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #53
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
The black one is sold out everywhere!
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #54
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Thanks bookyboy. I was looking for a bezel enhancing cover with no front, and had given up. Only available in Lavender now, what the heck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #55
bookyboy
Addict

My Oasis 3 arrived from black Friday.

I've got it side by side with the Voyage I need to send in for the trade-in still.

The sharpness difference is there, as expected and in favor of the Voyage, but like others here, I really prefer the warm light and real physical buttons.

I think my dream would be a new Voyage that were 7" with physical buttons on both sides and of the symmetrical design of the Voyage/PW (vs one-hand of Oasis).

But for now - O3 is going to win over the voyage for me. I love sharpness, but I read at night nearly exclusively and the warmer light is easier on the eyes for me.

Also - I do enjoy the haptic buttons, but I do find myself having to be too conscious of where they are, where my hands are and to not "grip too tight" and turn the page when I don't mean to.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #56
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
My Oasis 3 arrived from black Friday.

I've got it side by side with the Voyage I need to send in for the trade-in still.

The sharpness difference is there, as expected and in favor of the Voyage, but like others here, I really prefer the warm light and real physical buttons.

I think my dream would be a new Voyage that were 7" with physical buttons on both sides and of the symmetrical design of the Voyage/PW (vs one-hand of Oasis).

But for now - O3 is going to win over the voyage for me. I love sharpness, but I read at night nearly exclusively and the warmer light is easier on the eyes for me.

Also - I do enjoy the haptic buttons, but I do find myself having to be too conscious of where they are, where my hands are and to not "grip too tight" and turn the page when I don't mean to.
I had big problems with the Voyage I ordered due to the buttons and gripping too tight and having to watch my hand position all the time. the PW has always been very Baby Bear for me and will remain so, but I do love my Oasis 3, lack of ergonomics aside.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #57
bookyboy
Addict

@pghaworth

You'll think I'm nuts, but I can't do it. I'm going to stick with the Voyage.
I just really prefer the screen. lol.

At least someone can hopefully snag my O3 in the Flea market.

I also - I don't know - I just really think I prefer the symmetrical design of the Voyage & Paperwhite. I wish they'd' offer both form factors in the high end range and not just relegate it to the lower end (basic & PW)
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #58
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
@pghaworth

You'll think I'm nuts, but I can't do it. I'm going to stick with the Voyage.
I just really prefer the screen. lol.

At least someone can hopefully snag my O3 in the Flea market.

I also - I don't know - I just really think I prefer the symmetrical design of the Voyage & Paperwhite. I wish they'd' offer both form factors in the high end range and not just relegate it to the lower end (basic & PW)
Welcome to the yearning for an updated Voyage club.

I think a new Voyage with plastic substrate, increased storage, ability to disable page turn taps while retaining other gestures & taps, and maybe 2 to 5 mm wider bezels would be really nice.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #59
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Welcome to the yearning for an updated Voyage club.

I think a new Voyage with plastic substrate, increased storage, ability to disable page turn taps while retaining other gestures & taps, and maybe 2 to 5 mm wider bezels would be really nice.
Omg - like a DREAM machine..
I worry they'd "ruin" the screen in the process of updating though..

Whatever they did to the Voyage screen, they haven't replicated since on any other model (to my knowledge), have they?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Omg - like a DREAM machine..
I worry they'd "ruin" the screen in the process of updating though..

Whatever they did to the Voyage screen, they haven't replicated since on any other model (to my knowledge), have they?
Not to my knowledge.

While I do like the Voyage screen, I don't particularly like the form factor, though. I'm a fan of the lopsided design. So I very rarely read on my Voyage these days. Still, if Amazon made a 7'' Voyage and retained the text sharpness of the old Voyage, I'd probably buy it.