Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by celinego View Post
Thanks JSWolf

I don't think I can add zipped or RAR files into Calibre? Oh, wait sorry, I've just noticed it does have that option. Will try now.

Nope. When I add a RAR or zipped file to Calibre it automatically extracts the individual epub or mobi files from it. And if I click on an individual cover in Calibre it still shows the format as RAR but when I try to send it, it wants to automatically convert it to a mobi file (my chosen output format for my kindle) before sending. If I say "No" to the conversion, it just cancels the send option.

Or did you mean try sending a RAR or zip file via my webmail or emClient ... both of those DO still actually work when sending to kindle. Just Calibre that doesn't.
It sounds like your email server is not allowing eBooks to be sent. You are not allowed to send naked eBooks. That's the problem. If Calibre is not keeping the RAR or ZIP, then you'll not be able to use Calibre to email eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Thanks JSWolf

I don't think I can add zipped or RAR files into Calibre? Oh, wait sorry, I've just noticed it does have that option. Will try now.

Nope. When I add a RAR or zipped file to Calibre it automatically extracts the individual epub or mobi files from it. And if I click on an individual cover in Calibre it still shows the format as RAR but when I try to send it, it wants to automatically convert it to a mobi file (my chosen output format for my kindle) before sending. If I say "No" to the conversion, it just cancels the send option.

Or did you mean try sending a RAR or zip file via my webmail or emClient ... both of those DO still actually work when sending to kindle. Just Calibre that doesn't.
Mail has a setting for which FORMATs it can send to a particular recipient. If the format does not already exist, it offers to convert (just like a wire attached device does). To SEND a RAR or ZIP intact (no convert), those formats need to be on the list.

Note AFAIK, the mail program has no knowledge of DEVICE. You need to configure each mail recipient appropriately.
ALSO note: The metadata plugboard can be setup for MAILing a book formats with the magic it does (FORMAT, not recipient specific)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
celinego
Enthusiast
celinego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7; Kindle Fire HD10; iPhone5s; Windows 10 HP Pavilion; Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It sounds like your email server is not allowing eBooks to be sent. You are not allowed to send naked eBooks. That's the problem. If Calibre is not keeping the RAR or ZIP, then you'll not be able to use Calibre to email eBooks.
I've never emailed a RAR or a ZIP via Calibre. It's always been single mobi files, which it has allowed me to do for the last 3 years with no problems whatsover. And these are to my own kindle email address and my book club members' kindle or kindle app email addresses.

So I stlll don't understand why this would suddenly stop 5 days ago.

theducks: I understand the formats which can be sent to email recipients. As soon as I add a new mail recipient with a kindle.com address, Calibre knows which formats are acceptable. I keep it simple though and just manually convert everything to mobi. If I'm sending to someone with a non-kindle device, I first ask them to install the kindle app so they do have a kindle.com email address.

I wouldn't know how to even start setting up a the metadata plugboard.

So, again, for many years I've successfully emailed mobi files via Calibre to my own and other group members' kindles or kindle apps on non kindle devices using the specific device or app's @kindle.com email address. Until five days ago ..... when I discovered when sending books to my own kindle that, although Calibre said email successfully sent, nothing has arrived at all. So I tried with some group members' in case it was my kindle that was the prob. Theirs didn't arrive either, nor did different books to my iphone kindle app.

The TEST emails aren't arriving at devices either. Test emails DO arrive at my webmail and emClient BUT only after I have run "Diagnostics" in emClient (which must tweak the incoming and outgoing settings ... but that doesn't apply to kindle. It should just auto receive mobi files directly to the kindle email address?

I even uninstalled and reinstalled my emClient mail in case that would make any difference but it doesn't. I don't really want to uninstall and reinstall Calibre in case that makes a difference until my ISP calls me back (in case they've change the outgoing server in some way). I'm not sure doing this would make any difference either as Calibre's just mailing to the server I input the details for.

Last edited by celinego; 10-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
celinego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I've never emailed a RAR or a ZIP via Calibre. It's always been single mobi files, which it has allowed me to do for the last 3 years with no problems whatsover. And these are to my own kindle email address and my book club members' kindle or kindle app email addresses.
@JSWolf's suggestion was about testing if your outgoing mail server is blocking books from being sent. If your mail client is able to email books using the same server settings as you use in calibre, then it eliminates a change on the server being the culprit.
Quote:
So I stlll don't understand why this would suddenly stop 5 days ago.

So, again, for many years I've successfully emailed mobi files via Calibre to my own and other group members' kindles or kindle apps on non kindle devices using the specific device or app's @kindle.com email address. Until five days ago ..... when I discovered when sending books to my own kindle that, although Calibre said email successfully sent, nothing has arrived at all. So I tried with some group members' in case it was my kindle that was the prob. Theirs didn't arrive either, nor did different books to my iphone kindle app.

The TEST emails aren't arriving at devices either. Test emails DO arrive at my webmail and emClient BUT only after I have run "Diagnostics" in emClient (which must tweak the incoming and outgoing settings ... but that doesn't apply to kindle. It should just auto receive mobi files directly to the kindle email address?

I even uninstalled and reinstalled my emClient mail in case that would make any difference but it doesn't. I don't really want to uninstall and reinstall Calibre in case that makes a difference until my ISP calls me back (in case they've change the outgoing server in some way). I'm not sure doing this would make any difference either as Calibre's just mailing to the server I input the details for.
Reinstalling calibre is unlikely to help. You do need to check the configuration hasn't changed. And that the ISP hasn't changed something (which you are doing). Otherwise, you can run calibre in debug mode and post the logs from that, we can tell if the email left your PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #20
elegiacally
elegiacally began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm having the same issue--you aren't alone! It's super frustrating.

Following for any other suggestions/ solutions
elegiacally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #21
celinego
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Reinstalling calibre is unlikely to help. You do need to check the configuration hasn't changed. And that the ISP hasn't changed something (which you are doing). Otherwise, you can run calibre in debug mode and post the logs from that, we can tell if the email left your PC.
Thanks davidfor.

I've run in debug mode and have attached the log file (I hope) for sending a mobi file to my kindle, then the same file to my iphone5. Both sent but neither has arrived.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PDOCSnotarriving.txt (7.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Thanks davidfor.

I've run in debug mode and have attached the log file (I hope) for sending a mobi file to my kindle, then the same file to my iphone5. Both sent but neither has arrived.
Observations (not a solution ): (nothing jumped out at me)
btinternet still allows/uses port 25? (most around here have switched to a secure port)
You might put your reader: devices-apps in your profile
Helps with suggestions or others find similar issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
As with @theducks, I don't see any issues there. It has been accepted by your ISPs mail server, so should be sent on. I wouldn't expect using a secure port would have any affect if the ISP has left port 25 open.

One possibility is to check for a error reply email in your SPAM/junk mail. If the Kindle mail server has a problem it can be sent back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
celinego
Enthusiast

Thanks theducks and davidfor.

The only 2 ports I've ever used are pop3 110 and smtp 25 or 587. Have tried with both and still nothing. If I google the settings, BT says incoming 995 and outgoing 465 but I'v tried those too. My emClient auto finds the settings and it prefers 110/25.

It's so frustrating because my emClient and webmail sent files DO arrive. It's only the Calibre sent ones that don't.

As my mail is POP3 my client doesn't sync with the website (I chose pop3 deliberately in case I accidentally deleted something important from my emClient, so there would still be a copy in webmail). But I also set one new install of emClient up as IMAP and changed the Calibre in/out ports to match ... and that didn't work either! So if the logs show that Calibre is genuinely sending, where are they going, what is stopping them being delivered?

Nothing in trash or junk or spam and no rules set either (for reorganising or deleting mail without seeing it). Not on webmail or emClient ... so even if I had accidentally deleted or emptied trash on one, it'd still be on the other.

My ISP hasn't rung back yet. Amazon have and asked for a screenshot of the verification emails I was sent (but they were for files that DID arrive because I sent them via webmail or emClient) .... not for those that didn't arrive ... which is what I'm trying to get across to them. Tricky when I can only communicate with them via an agent/supervisor who's first language isn't English and he's not technical at all! And if he calls and I miss it (as I did yesterday) he sends me an email from a no-reply address and tells me to phone Customer Services so I then start again with another agent who of course, doesn't know the agent/supervisor and can't connect me with him. Second time in 3 days this has happened because I've asked him to call me between 3-5pm and instead, he calls me at 6.30pm when I'm not available. So in yesterday's email, after I couldn't answer my mobile when he rang, he says he called my landline and left a voicemail (no record of that call on my logs or any voicemail on my ansaphone). The email also asked me to send said screenshots ..... but didn't give any details of to WHERE?!! So I had to call customer service today again and go through it all again with an agent who said he COULD put me through (to John R) but actually must have misheard me, because he put me through to a "Joe" instead.

What chance do I have of their Tech team even understanding my problem when these are the agents/supervisors passing the info on? It's like Chinese whispers! And SOOOO frustrating.

Any other ideas? PLEASE?!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #25
celinego
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegiacally View Post
I'm having the same issue--you aren't alone! It's super frustrating.

Following for any other suggestions/ solutions
Are you also in UK using BTinternet as your ISP/mail provider? If so, what mail settings do you have.

If not, might be worth you also running in debug mode, sending, and upload the resulting log, so these kind folks can spot anything wrong in yours?
Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #26
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Calibre stopped emailing books to my device a while back and it appeared to be something with the gmx email that I was using. Something was changed there to prevent it from working. I ended up switching over to use a hotmail account, and it has worked fine ever since.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Calibre stopped emailing books to my device a while back and it appeared to be something with the gmx email that I was using. Something was changed there to prevent it from working. I ended up switching over to use a hotmail account, and it has worked fine ever since.
These days, it's an Outlook account that should be used.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you also in UK using BTinternet as your ISP/mail provider? If so, what mail settings do you have.

If not, might be worth you also running in debug mode, sending, and upload the resulting log, so these kind folks can spot anything wrong in yours?
Have you tried to ZIP or RAR an eBook and emailing it with your email client to see if that works? If that works, then it is your email service blocking eBooks.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #29
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
In all the test cases the emails appear to have been sent from a btinternet.com address to a kindle.com address. Have you tried sending a "loopback" from the btinternet address to the same address. That way you eliminate the possible issue of Kindle rejecting the incoming file for some reason (perhaps related to the SMTP header that Calibre generates).

Also worth checking is that your IP address hasn't found it's way onto a blacklist used by ISPs to silently dump mail. spamcop.net is a useful way to check. Remember that unless you have a static IP address (unlikely with btinternet) some previous "owner" of what is now your IP address may have got it blacklisted.

You may be able to get a new IP address assigned by powering down and back up your router.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
You may be able to get a new IP address assigned by powering down and back up your router.

BobC
Restarting the router will not work in most cases to get a new IP. You'd need to have the router off when the lease for that IP is up so it doesn't get renewed. If the router allows changing the MAC address, then a new IP can be gotten easily.

But the thing to do is test sending out ZIP, RAR, MOBI, ePub using a mail client and see what gets though.