Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #271
wbkindle
wbkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks, knc1 - I appreciate the explanation!
wbkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #272
dipilato
dipilato began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 90D4
Any love for PW2 yet by chance?? Many Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Hi, here is KindleLazy 0.5

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti_KD58UWuc

You can turn pages and alter brightness via a device like a keyboard.
I use a wireless 'presenter', it sends keys like page up, page down etc.
I specifically use this product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYK18T0

[snip of long quotation]
Hey guys, writing in with hopes you are still possibly helping out on the "dream" KindleLazy. I have a PW2 5.4.0 and was really hoping to get it working. I have the same pointer, adapter, etc. Have KUAL installed and KindleLazy as well. Was able to get the screen to flip, but the pointer is not working or changing pages.

I just read through all 19 pages of the thread (should have done this first I suppose) but now seeing that there may be a hardware issue with PW2 to have this work? If anyone has solved for this, or gotten it to work would really appreciate any assistance. I am not a coder but savvy enough to get through most tech items with a bit of direction.

Thanks so much in advance, about to have about 48 hours of planes and airports over the next few weeks and would love to keep my cold hands in my hoodie with this clicker to turn those pages !

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-03-2019 at 03:20 AM.
dipilato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #273
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Schedule your travels with airports and planes that have heat.
That reads like your choice is "seat optional" type of travel (note, many airplanes now have enclosed seating).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #274
dipilato
dipilato began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 90D4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Schedule your travels with airports and planes that have heat.
That reads like your choice is "seat optional" type of travel (note, many airplanes now have enclosed seating).
Ha, wish it was that easy...have Raynaud's disease so even when most people are warm my hands and feet can go numb. Can be very frustrating...
dipilato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #275
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipilato View Post
Ha, wish it was that easy...have Raynaud's disease so even when most people are warm my hands and feet can go numb. Can be very frustrating...
Oooo, I feel for you. I've been checked for Raynaud's too. I don't quite have it, but I still have very cold hands. And I recently bought an iPad pen because my fingertips HURT just from touching the screen. Weird stuff.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #276
bingo619
bingo619 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruditionastic View Post
FYI, I got it to work for now. I used a hex editor to patch in event4 vs event2 into the file kindlelazy in /mnt/us/extensions/KindleLazy/bin. Here's the file if it helps anyone. Sheesh, probably 20 hours pondering and trying various ways, and this way took about 5 minutes.
Thank you very much @eruditionastic.

Now it runs perfectly on my KOA1.
A few things, I needed to change event1 event2 event3 to event4, 5,6 for my KOA1 3G model.

When I tried to place those two rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/ it wont let me says read only file system. I had to run "mount -o remount,rw /"

Finally, in the rule files, I need to modify KERNEL=="1-1:1.2" to KERNEL=="1-1:1.0" as well as the product id for my logictek pointer.

Thanks a lot mate.
bingo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #277
bingo619
bingo619 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
https://youtu.be/t43Ba--vQkE
bingo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #278
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Would this work for the Paperwhite 4? Very much hope so
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #279
flaviolira
flaviolira began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 1 / KPW 3
Waiting for adapter to arrive... PW1!

Hey there! I'm waiting for the wireless presenter to arrive to test KindleLazy on the PW1 that I bought specifically for this (updated my PW3 to 5.12.2 ). Wish me luck!
flaviolira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #280
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviolira View Post
Hey there! I'm waiting for the wireless presenter to arrive to test KindleLazy on the PW1 that I bought specifically for this (updated my PW3 to 5.12.2 ). Wish me luck!
KindleLazy probably won't work on a PW1 without a powered USB hub, I could be wrong though.

Even if your USB port is powered, you may find that KindleLazy will fail to run if your kernel version doesn't match the version that the kernel modules were compiled against.

@zxczxc is shipping @lucida's patched version of mousedev.ko (essential for switching the USB port to OTG mode) and I don't think that either of them have documented the modifications that they've made to trick the kernel into thinking that an audio device is attached. This would be a roadblock to compiling your own kernel modules that are compatible with your PW1.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #281
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This might be useful for anyone working on OTG stuff - when an OTG cable with a device attached is plugged into a Kindle, the Kindle will switch between gadget and host mode every ~10 seconds. If you have a look at the output from dmesg, it'll look something like this:
Code:
[ 3232.841151] Schedule OTG enumeration triggered recovery
[ 3232.851811] switch to host?
[ 3240.861125]  otg_enum_fn not enumerated, catcha!
[ 3240.871392] fsl_otg_event ID changed to [0] during work
[ 3240.871419] asking for device mode and in host mode, thats okay 
[ 3240.871444] switch to gadget
[ 3246.931240] Unknown wakeup.(OTGSC 0x9282b20)
[ 3247.081258] 
[ 3247.081264] Schedule OTG enumeration triggered recovery
[ 3247.091818] switch to host?
[ 3255.101107]  otg_enum_fn not enumerated, catcha!
[ 3255.111309] fsl_otg_event ID changed to [0] during work
[ 3255.111333] asking for device mode and in host mode, thats okay 
[ 3255.111359] switch to gadget
[ 3261.171072] Unknown wakeup.(OTGSC 0x9282b20)
[ 3261.321176] 
[ 3261.321182] Schedule OTG enumeration triggered recovery
[ 3261.331837] switch to host?
[ 3269.341100]  otg_enum_fn not enumerated, catcha!
[ 3269.351374] fsl_otg_event ID changed to [0] during work
[ 3269.351399] asking for device mode and in host mode, thats okay 
[ 3269.351424] switch to gadget
[ 3275.411069] Unknown wakeup.(OTGSC 0x9280b20)
otg_enum_fn is a function defined within arch/arm/mach-mx6/usb_dr.c, which checks if the audio_enumerated variable is set at line 246. This variable is set by the USB sound card driver sound/usb/card.c and seems to be used by usb_dr.c as a crude way of locking out devices other than the Kindle Audio Adapter; generic USB sound cards can be used in the official adapters place because card.c is part of ALSA, rather than being Amazon specific code.

The mousedev.ko file distributed as part of usbotgmouse and KindleLazy is modified to set the audio_enumerated variable in the same way - if you run strings on the file and grep for the variable name, you'll find a match. It also seems to be the same file in both packages as they're exactly the same size.

It seemed a bit hacky to set the variable in mousedev.c, so I've created this dummy kernel module solely to set/unset the audio_enumerated variable - I think that it makes more sense to do things like this instead of adding extra functionality to mousedev.c. The code is really simple and based on the kernel module Hello World, nothing complicated here.

Code:
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>

extern int audio_enumerated;

MODULE_AUTHOR("katadelos");
MODULE_DESCRIPTION("Kindle USB OTG dummy module");
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

int __init otg_init(void) {
        printk("Inserting dummy kernel module...\n");
        audio_enumerated = 1;
        printk("Audio interface inserted ;)\n");
        return 0;
}

void __exit otg_exit(void) {
        printk("Removing dummy kernel module...\n");
        audio_enumerated = 0;
        printk("Audio interface removed...\n");
}

module_init(otg_init);
module_exit(otg_exit);
This can be cross-compiled with NiLuJe's toolchain and insmod'ed in the usual way. As an aside, the OTG functionality can be used for some really interesting stuff - if you compile the Linux serial drivers, you can add support for Arduinos, 3D printers and other fun toys. It also opens up the possibility of performing Kindle to Kindle serial jailbreaks, if you were so inclined.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #282
flaviolira

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
KindleLazy probably won't work on a PW1 without a powered USB hub, I could be wrong though.

Even if your USB port is powered, you may find that KindleLazy will fail to run if your kernel version doesn't match the version that the kernel modules were compiled against.
Thanks for your reply, katadelos. I tried using a powered usb 2.0 hub but no luck still.

If I can ask a few more questions:
How can I check the kernel version of my PW1 to see if it matches?

I was able to open Kindlelazy in the launcher and even flip my screen (even though it didn't flip the touchscreen reception, so I had to reverse my taps in the xy axis). Would that be a sign that the kernels match or not quite?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #283
katadelos
rm -rf /

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, katadelos. I tried using a powered usb 2.0 hub but no luck still.

If I can ask a few more questions:
How can I check the kernel version of my PW1 to see if it matches?

I was able to open Kindlelazy in the launcher and even flip my screen (even though it didn't flip the touchscreen reception, so I had to reverse my taps in the xy axis). Would that be a sign that the kernels match or not quite?

Thanks!
You'll need to install USBNetwork (found in this thread) and SSH to your Kindle. Once you've done this, type:
Code:
uname -a
On my PW3, the output is:
Code:
Linux kindle 3.0.35-lab126 #2 PREEMPT Fri Oct 12 06:16:25 PDT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
The relevant part here is the kernel version number, which in this case is 3.0.35.

To check whether your USB hub is being detected, try these steps whilst connected to your Kindle over SSH:
  1. Unplug the USB hub
  1. Type dmesg | tail at the prompt
  1. Plug the hub back into the Kindle
  1. Type dmesg | tail at the prompt once again
The output should change after you run the command for the second time, possibly with messages relating to USB device detection. Post the output here and we can help you further.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #284
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:

I was able to open Kindlelazy in the launcher and even flip my screen (even though it didn't flip the touchscreen reception, so I had to reverse my taps in the xy axis).

Thanks!
Yeah, I did that too (on my long ago brief test of Kindlelazy). It's quite an experience, trying to revert your screen when all the buttons are not where they are displayed to be!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #285
flaviolira

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
You'll need to install USBNetwork (found in this thread) and SSH to your Kindle. Once you've done this, type:
Code:
uname -a
On my PW3, the output is:
Code:
Linux kindle 3.0.35-lab126 #2 PREEMPT Fri Oct 12 06:16:25 PDT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
The relevant part here is the kernel version number, which in this case is 3.0.35.

To check whether your USB hub is being detected, try these steps whilst connected to your Kindle over SSH:
  1. Unplug the USB hub
  1. Type dmesg | tail at the prompt
  1. Plug the hub back into the Kindle
  1. Type dmesg | tail at the prompt once again
The output should change after you run the command for the second time, possibly with messages relating to USB device detection. Post the output here and we can help you further.

Hi katadelos.
Thanks once again for all your help,

I was able to SSH into my Kindle and able to get the kernel version, below is what came out. I can see the kernel is a lower one.

Would that mean that likely KindleLazy won't work on this PW1 without some considerable work? That's because I believe I messed something up when trying to set authorized_keys to be able to SSH via WiFi (to test if it's detecting the USB hub) and now I can't SSH even via USB. At least I was able to get the kernel version, and if the answer for the question is positive, I won't bother with SSHing.

Thanks!

Code:
Welcome to Kindle!

root@192.168.15.244's password: 
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Thu Nov 29 23:37:38 PST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux
[root@kindle root]#

Tags
remote, remote control