Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #196
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How often does 4.17 forget where you left off when reading ePub? Should we be bookmarking the page we are on before we put the device to sleep?
As per the previous firmware, bookmarking the page will not work, as it forgets all highlights, annotations, and bookmarks you've made that session. Hopefully at least that's been improved by 4.17
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
As per the previous firmware, bookmarking the page will not work, as it forgets all highlights, annotations, and bookmarks you've made that session. Hopefully at least that's been improved by 4.17
The bug is why I didn't bother with 4.15 and stuck with 4.8. I'm hoping this bug is not going to be a deal breaker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #198
jsessions
Enthusiast
jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo & Clara HD
Quote:
How often does 4.17 forget where you left off when reading ePub? Should we be bookmarking the page we are on before we put the device to sleep?
For me bookmarking made no difference as I always bookmark before I exit a book anyway, when the bug sporadically appeared eBook failed to open at last page/last bookmark read. Same eBook a few chapters in and 4.17 is behaving itself and remembering place. Difficult to identify why it failed to work on some occasions but fact it did is enough to irritate so I make a mental note of page number!
jsessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #199
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
Quote:
I tried with an .epub now and I didn't see it forgetting anything when closing and switching ebooks. It has issues showing where in the book bookmarks are since it can't show chapter progress and if you bookmark and change font size, the bookmark will still be there in the annotation menu but the little folded corner will disappear. I made another short video, just for you! You can download that ebook if you want to try it yourself (see description).
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
I tried with an .epub now and I didn't see it forgetting anything when closing and switching ebooks. It has issues showing where in the book bookmarks are since it can't show chapter progress and if you bookmark and change font size, the bookmark will still be there in the annotation menu but the little folded corner will disappear. I made another short video, just for you! You can download that ebook if you want to try it yourself (see description).
That was very nice. Thank you very much for the video. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #201
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If the header and footer are disabled, how do you display chapter progress with kepubs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #202
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
As I said, the official release for the patches is coming by the end of the week.
Patrick, maybe you should skip this release and do it for the next? In order not to waste your time?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #203
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Patrick, maybe you should skip this release and do it for the next? In order not to waste your time?
Oh, for **** sake, we just finished updating the patches for the previous one. At least it'll be similar... Now, don't expect the release until Sunday. I don't feel like updating everything tomorrow night anymore. I'll do it on Saturday. grrrr.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #204
celticchrys
Enthusiast
celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2014 (1st edition)
Unhappy

The problem with the device forgetting place and bookmarks in an epub is definitely only happening in certain files. I tried opening multiple epubs, alternating with kepub, etc. In one epub (which has many chapters in the Table of Contents), it doesn't seem to matter how many times I open and close it. My position and my bookmarks are there. Kepub also works (bookmarks all show 0%, but they all still work). However, I have other epubs which only have one thing in the table of contents, and every time I close these, the position and bookmarks are lost. Well, it's actually when I open those epubs again that everything is lost. Until I re-open one, the % read is correctly shown on the home screen under the book cover icon for it, but once I re-open it, it loses everything and goes to the first page again. This same "bad epubs" actually caused the device to crash and reboot at one point as well.

For example, I have the epub version of "Cranford" by Elizabeth Gaskell, which I downloaded from Standard eBooks [ https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/el...skell/cranford ] and put onto the device with Calibre. This book's entire "Table of Content" is one chapter named "Cranford". This file exhibits the problem behavior, while another epub with many chapters does not.

This video might help make more clear what is happening:

Last edited by celticchrys; 09-19-2019 at 05:23 PM.
celticchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #205
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Another thing linked to the inversion of title and chapter is very annoying, particularly while navigating big books...
I've been thinking if there isn't a way to swap the header and footer info, I'll likely stay on 4.15. I just learned how to shrink the footer down to where it doesn't bother me to leave it on and I really like the layout now. Sort of like my Nook, except I can turn the book title off.

In the newer firmware, the only thing I'd really like to see is the progress bar. The other changes I likely won't notice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticchrys View Post
The problem with the device forgetting place and bookmarks in an epub is definitely only happening in certain files. I tried opening multiple epubs, alternating with kepub, etc. In one epub (which has many chapters in the Table of Contents), it doesn't seem to matter how many times I open and close it. My position and my bookmarks are there. Kepub also works (bookmarks all show 0%, but they all still work). However, I have other epubs which only have one thing in the table of contents, and every time I close these, the position and bookmarks are lost. Well, it's actually when I open those epubs again that everything is lost. Until I re-open one, the % read is correctly shown on the home screen under the book cover icon for it, but once I re-open it, it loses everything and goes to the first page again. This same "bad epubs" actually caused the device to crash and reboot at one point as well.

For example, I have the epub version of "Cranford" by Elizabeth Gaskell, which I downloaded from Standard eBooks [ https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/el...skell/cranford ] and put onto the device with Calibre. This book's entire "Table of Content" is one chapter named "Cranford". This file exhibits the problem behavior, while another epub with many chapters does not.

This video might help make more clear what is happening:

Does this problem of forgetting with ePub happen in the ePub with only one entry in the ToC when you close the ePub while in the section that has that ToC entry? If you close an ePub in a section that has no ToC entry, does this trigger this bug?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-19-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #207
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just a reminder 4.17.13651 is no longer being distributed. The new latest and greatest is 4.17.13694 (at least, as of this date).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #208
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just a reminder 4.17.13651 is no longer being distributed. The new latest and greatest is 4.17.13694 (at least, as of this date).
Wonderful.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #209
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
However, importing .Trashes and similar is almost certainly a mistake (I had a couple odd things imported, I didn't even know I had a trashes folder on my kobo), and I suspect they will eventually be expanding their blacklist.
This (scanning trash) should be fixed in the new 4.17.13694
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This thread is dead. The patches won't be fully updated for this firmware. So it's time to move on and go to the thread on 4.17.13694.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323108