Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #481
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One, considering adding KOBO Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
That's actually something to remember about the forma, it has a plastic substrate so you shouldn't get a broken screen.

I know that the Forma is expensive, especially outside of Canada or the US (I got mine in Mexico), but for me, not having to worry about a broken screen again was totally worth it.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Will a plastic substrate crack, deteriorate so the screen looks foggy or get brittle as it ages?

I like the looks of the white caseing, but wonder if it will yellow with age?
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #482
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post

Will a plastic substrate crack, deteriorate so the screen looks foggy or get brittle as it ages?

The substrate shouldnĺt show any more wear and tear than the glass one itĺs replaced. Itĺs actually more durable it can stand up to drops that would shatter the glass. Not that you should throw the ereader around.

Iĺd think that white of the Libra would eventually show some discoloring but how much and how soon are up to environmental factors. For example if itĺs around a heavy smoker itĺs going to yellow faster. I wouldnĺt worry about it much though the surface shouldnĺt be too porous so keeping it clean is probably going to be easy
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #483
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
I've never liked white ereaders because it makes the background of the screen look greyer. Black ones always look like they have higher contrast between black text and white background.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #484
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Quote:
define age... my old white iriver story HDs (2011) still look the same as always. nobody uses these more because technology advanced much faster than the plastic could show signs of age ;-)

I think the yellowing with age was a problem in particular with 70s/80s plastics, you find it on ancient computers but anything semi-recent doesn't usually suffer this issue

(and it's not like black is impervious either... my black H2O attracts fingerprints and smudges like crazy. clean it every other week. my black cherry MX 3.0 keyboard soaks up finger grease in a way that cannot be cleaned, it just stays extra shiny forever)

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-12-2019 at 05:16 AM.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #485
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
The bezel of my white Kobo Touch is fine; however, the soft-touch back has got reddish dye marks from the case. My white Studio Proper case for my iPad Mini has discoloured especially around the rim. It's also crazed a bit. So I guess it depends on the plastic.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #486
ky˘dai
ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Back in the day, my white Oyo also suffered some discoloration in places where your fingers hold the device.

The most recent e-reader with such quality issues is last years Pocketbook Touch HD 3. According to some users, the colored backside is quite fragile and can react to sun cream or other hand lotions. Or be easily damaged by hard shell cases.

(Source of the second attached picture: https://www.e-reader-forum.de/ebook-...ng-loest-sich/)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oyo backside.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	173419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_165744.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	173420  
ky˘dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #487
mathil
Addict
mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3
We have an old Kobo Glo in the family from 2012, that's still in use, white and blue. The reader has always been in a case as long as it's been in use, but the case doesn't cover the border of the device, just the corners, and it still looks great. No sign from finger grease or anything else. I think that as long as it's hard plastic it should be okay.
mathil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #488
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I've never liked white ereaders because it makes the background of the screen look greyer. Black ones always look like they have higher contrast between black text and white background.
I have a Nook Glowlight Plus (2015) with a white bezel and I think the screen looks just fine. It doesn't appear to be any grayer than the screens on my Glowlight 3 or Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #489
ky˘dai
ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have a Nook Glowlight Plus (2015) with a white bezel and I think the screen looks just fine. It doesn't appear to be any grayer than the screens on my Glowlight 3 or Clara.
You should notice a slightly darker screen on ANY e-ink device with a white (or light coloured) case, because it is an optical illusion not a technical issue. (At least with the frontlight turned off.)

I have attached a good example.

The smaller rectangle in the middle of the picture appears to be darker on the left and brighter on the right. But that is just an optical illusion created by the gradient in the background. The middle rectangle actually has one solid grey colour (#989ba0), the same on the left as on the right.

You can check this with Photoshop, GIMP or another photo editing software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	optical illusion.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	173422  
ky˘dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #490
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

The substrate is not visible at all. It is under the screen. See E Ink Mobius in our wiki. See also TFT. The screen itself can a plastic or glass layer that you see. You might also want view front light. Touch screen is also important to the screen view. Plastic top screens are subject to scratches.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-12-2019 at 03:14 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #491
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky˘dai View Post
You should notice a slightly darker screen on ANY e-ink device with a white (or light coloured) case, because it is an optical illusion not a technical issue. (At least with the frontlight turned off.)
I understand the optical illusion.

To be fair, I never turn the light off on my readers. The frontlight is always set at somewhere around 20-25%. Doing that, the screen on all three readers looks the same. Honestly, black or white, the bezel does what it is supposed to do: fade away.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #492
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I understand the optical illusion.

To be fair, I never turn the light off on my readers. The frontlight is always set at somewhere around 20-25%. Doing that, the screen on all three readers looks the same. Honestly, black or white, the bezel does what it is supposed to do: fade away.
Yeah, that's the trick. I don't use the light much though. So those white Nooks are the ones I never got. The original Nook avoided the issue by having a black frame around the screen and the body was slightly grey too.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #493
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One
So.

After a three week long succession of careless mistakes and willful negligence across multiple people at Kobo customer (dis)service trying to get a defective Kobo Forma 32GB replaced I have given up and requested, in writing, a full refund.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #494
lkmiller
Laura

@ratinox
Last we heard you were happy with the Forma after one day with it. What did you discover was wrong?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #495
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
@ratinox
Last we heard you were happy with the Forma after one day with it. What did you discover was wrong?
It would freeze for no apparent reason and needed a hard power off and restart to get it working again. Sometimes it would happen while transferring files, sometimes just rotating it. Clearly a hardware defect of some sort.

I intend to post a summary of events once I get my refund. Kobo are currently (still) ignoring my emails about it so it might be a while.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote