Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #616
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I did several conversion test converting dictionary en-(ar,he,zh) and several character of the second language (ar,he,zh) aren't shown in the final kobodictionary on the device. What can I do?
The default font used for the dictionary (pop-up and fullscreen) is the built-in Georgia font. This is unlikely to be suitable for all languages particularly languages which Kobo doesn't claim to support.

If you're using the kobopatch system you can try one of my patches. It's the one called 'Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta' (in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml). It's been around a long time so don't let 'beta' put you off. It will allow you to specify a replacement sideloaded font instead of Georgia for dictionary stuff.

However, finding a font which is going to be suitable for all your dictionary languages may be easier said than done.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #617
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The default font used for the dictionary (pop-up and fullscreen) is the built-in Georgia font. This is unlikely to be suitable for all languages particularly languages which Kobo doesn't claim to support.

If you're using the kobopatch system you can try one of my patches. It's the one called 'Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta' (in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml). It's been around a long time so don't let 'beta' put you off. It will allow you to specify a replacement sideloaded font instead of Georgia for dictionary stuff.

However, finding a font which is going to be suitable for all your dictionary languages may be easier said than done.
Many thanks, it worked
The font code2000 solved the issue and worked well with all the dictionaries
https://web.archive.org/web/20101122...e2000_page.htm

Beside there are various choices
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_font

Arial Unicode MS should fit well too

The final (and very simple) solution should be a firmware version with a free unicode font
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #618
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

En-Chs multidictionary

Chinese simplified and English are the two most spoken languages in the world.
Thinking over the chinese users, I decided to make a complete dictionary. So here is:

English-Chinese simplified multidictionary. The elements inside are enriched with inflections and IPA phonetics

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19D...AhtLeVm5A8UnLB

As you see in the previous post, it needs the patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta enabled with a unicode font; for example CODE2000 (or at least one that include the chinese characters. Otherwise several characters will not be shown using the dictionary)

Last edited by Owl_; 12-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #619
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

En-ar dictionary

I do not know how, but I converted it

Babylon English-Arabic
improved with inflections and IPA phonetics

new wordcount: 239599

It needs the patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta enabled with a unicode font ; for example CODE2000 (or at least one that include the arabic characters. Otherwise several characters will not be shown using the dictionary)

PS: The conversion was pretty complex, so a check and opinion of an arabian user will be appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-ar.zip (7.48 MB, 199 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 12-29-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #620
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Babylon en-he dictionary

Here is:

Babylon English-Hebrew dictionary
with inflections and IPA phonetics added

wordcount = 240614

It needs the patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta enabled with a unicode font; for example CODE2000 (or at least one that include the hebrew characters. Otherwise several characters will not be shown using the dictionary)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-he.zip (6.96 MB, 236 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 12-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #621
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

WordNet 3 English-Chinese_traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Hi Owl,

May I have the English to Traditional version? Or even tab text file is good enough. Thanks in advance!
Here is:

Here is WordNet 3 Infused CN English to Chinese traditional,
with inflections and IPA phonetics

wordcount = 262144

It needs the patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta enabled with a unicode font; for example CODE2000 (or at least one that include the chinese characters. Otherwise several characters will not be shown using the dictionary)

toancv, check and tell me please. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-zh.zip (13.68 MB, 280 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 12-29-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #622
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Babylon EN-JA

Babylon English-Japanese, made wider with inflections. Phonetics added.

new wordcount = 227491
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-ja.zip (6.12 MB, 193 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 09-04-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #623
maf654321
maf654321 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
"No definition found"?

I'm playing around with Penelope and PyGlossary to convert dictionaries for my Kobo Forma and no matter the dictionary, I encounter the same error: the dictionary is apparently loaded and has a functional wordlist (autocompletes when searching in dictionary), but the words come up invariably as "No definition found". I loaded Owl's English Wiktionary file (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=507) and that worked but one's I made of the full English Wiktionary, (from http://www.dictinfo.com, needed to use the advice of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=180 for it to load) and a Gaelic-English dictionary (converted originally from ABBYY format) showed the same error. The Gaelic dictionary is much smaller so I'm uploading those Stardict and Kobo files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-gd-en.zip (377.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: zip gla-eng_MacEachen_1_0GD.zip (269.1 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by maf654321; 09-09-2019 at 11:04 PM.
maf654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #624
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question available suffixes for dictionaries

I'd like a third English dictionary on my kobos, but I don't feel able to implement the method described here for any numbers of dictionaries. So I use existing suffixes: -nl for the 2nd English dictionary, -pt for the 2nd French dictionary. I tried -tr and -ja but they didn't work. What are the suffixes supported by kobo nowadays?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #625
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'd like a third English dictionary on my kobos, but I don't feel able to implement the method described here for any numbers of dictionaries. So I use existing suffixes: -nl for the 2nd English dictionary, -pt for the 2nd French dictionary. I tried -tr and -ja but they didn't work. What are the suffixes supported by kobo nowadays?
You could try -en-en if you haven't already got one. It will appear as
English - English in the drop-down list. You will probably still need to manually add a line for it in the Kobo .sqlite database before it gets recognised by the device, but it will be a simpler process than adding unlimited Extra dictionaries.

If you have already got -en-en try -nl-pt or -pt-nl. The label in the list may be a bit weird but as long as you know what it means...
Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #626
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You could try -en-en if you haven't already got one. It will appear as
English - English in the drop-down list. You will probably still need to manually add a line for it in the Kobo .sqlite database before it gets recognised by the device, but it will be a simpler process than adding unlimited Extra dictionaries.

If you have already got -en-en try -nl-pt or -pt-nl. The label in the list may be a bit weird but as long as you know what it means...
Thank you very much. -en-en works fine. One surprising thing: when I look at the dictionary list in the parameters, two say they have 0 bit - I haven't checked the Deutsch-Français, but the English-English works fine.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #627
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you very much. -en-en works fine. One surprising thing: when I look at the dictionary list in the parameters, two say they have 0 bit - I haven't checked the Deutsch-Français, but the English-English works fine.
I don't know the full rules about dictionary entries in the database but I do know that when I've had to add a new entry I've had to type in the filesize bytes myself. I'd assumed this had to be exactly correct or the dictionary wouldn't work properly but I've never typed in an incorrect value to test the theory. Don't poke the bear!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #628
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf654321 View Post
I'm playing around with Penelope and PyGlossary to convert dictionaries for my Kobo Forma and no matter the dictionary, I encounter the same error: the dictionary is apparently loaded and has a functional wordlist (autocompletes when searching in dictionary), but the words come up invariably as "No definition found". I loaded Owl's English Wiktionary file (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=507) and that worked but one's I made of the full English Wiktionary, (from http://www.dictinfo.com, needed to use the advice of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=180 for it to load) and a Gaelic-English dictionary (converted originally from ABBYY format) showed the same error. The Gaelic dictionary is much smaller so I'm uploading those Stardict and Kobo files.
Check.

PS: I think it's a step back to use the basic version of wiktionary...
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-gd-en.zip (344.3 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #629
harsh23
harsh23 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
hindi dictionary

Can anyone please provide link to any elaborate hindi-hindi dictionary or atleast guide me in the right direction
harsh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #630
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
I don't know the full rules about dictionary entries in the database but I do know that when I've had to add a new entry I've had to type in the filesize bytes myself. I'd assumed this had to be exactly correct or the dictionary wouldn't work properly but I've never typed in an incorrect value to test the theory. Don't poke the bear!
In fact, -en-en didn't seem to work, it seemed to be the same dictionary as the plain English. I've tried several combinations but the one that worked was already in the SQlite list, -en-nl. I now have access to Owl's dictionary (English), Longman's (Nederlands) and Merriam-Webster 's (English - Nederlands).
As for the bytes, I entered them, but the real numbers didn't appear in the parameters in Kobo. Since the dictionaries work fine it is not a problem.

Tags
kobo dictionaries