Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Assistance with Kindle Oasis 2, KFX, and margins.

Hi all,

Hope you're well.

Just looking for some thoughts on margins and typesetting on the Kindle Oasis 2 (2017). Specifically, if you look at the images attached, you'll find three consecutive pages of a book; you will note that the "cut off" margin for page differs on the three.

This seems to be common in a lot of books I'm reading on the Oasis, and it's quite annoying. I don't recall experiencing the problem on my Kobo; whatever I put on it, seemed to format identically. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

The book is formatted in KFX, and I've verified it's an "Enhanced Typesetting" book, and that the Oasis is indeed receiving the KFX file and not AZW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	170818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpeg
Views:	382
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	170819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	170820  
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Possibly?

Sometimes, when that happens, I notice that there's actually a 'time break' in the narrative instigated by the author.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I’m not seeing it. Could you describe the problem more explicitly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Added space between paragraphs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I’m not seeing it. Could you describe the problem more explicitly.
The bottom margin is different on the three pages shown.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I see it with all my books (which are all in the azw3 format and sideloaded). Hasn't it something to do with widows and orphans?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I see it with all my books (which are all in the azw3 format and sideloaded). Hasn't it something to do with widows and orphans?
That would be my suspicion, too.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would be my suspicion, too.
Could I trouble you to elaborate a little further?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
Could I trouble you to elaborate a little further?
It has to do with avoiding having the first line or two of a paragraph at the bottom of a page or the last line or two of a paragraph at the top of a page. This is done to make page changes less disruptive.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at the images it can be seen that in this book the spacing between paragraphs is set slightly larger than the spacing between lines of the same paragraph.

So the number of paragraphs present on each page will affect the exact positioning of the bottom line on the page. That seems reasonable to me.

Added: And even though it looks like there may be room for one more line of text in some of those images, there isn't really because the bottom of the screen is reserved for reading progress indicators. (Turned off in this case.)

Last edited by jhowell; 04-20-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:32 AM   #11
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Looking at the images it can be seen that in this book the spacing between paragraphs is set slightly larger than the spacing between lines of the same paragraph.

So the number of paragraphs present on each page will affect the exact positioning of the bottom line on the page. That seems reasonable to me.

Added: And even though it looks like there may be room for one more line of text in some of those images, there isn't really because the bottom of the screen is reserved for reading progress indicators. (Turned off in this case.)
That makes sense, thanks for your explanation. My understanding is that Enhanced Typesetting was supposed to accommodate for this? Is that not the case?

Secondly, is there a way I can correct this in the KFX file, either by conversion or otherwise?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:15 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
That makes sense, thanks for your explanation. My understanding is that Enhanced Typesetting was supposed to accommodate for this? Is that not the case?

Secondly, is there a way I can correct this in the KFX file, either by conversion or otherwise?
I don't understand. What is there to correct?

The extra space between paragraphs was apparently a design choice by the publisher. Removing that would be problematic for a book obtained from Amazon.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-21-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 AM   #13
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
I don't understand. What is there to correct?
Well it seems to be erroneous, because in reading the book these gaps are illogical; they're not indicating paragraph breaks, but the formatting of the books suggests they are.

In the three images attached, there is no paragraph break, they're all part of the same body. (I haven't included the full page for copyright reasons).

If it was a paragraph break then I'd understand, but they're not.

Notably, I converted from KFX to KFX (which I appreciate goes KFX > EPUB > KFX and affects formatting), but with "Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs" checked in Calibre, it corrects the problem.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But the paragraph spacing is what's invoking the widow/orphan control, which is the cause of the issue. It's not an error.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 AM   #15
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the paragraph spacing is what's invoking the widow/orphan control, which is the cause of the issue. It's not an error.
I follow. I guess it's largely personal preference, I just find it quite annoying. As I said, I can correct the "flaw," for lack of a better term, by converting the book from KFX to KFX in Calibre, with "Remove Paragraph Spacing" checked.

My follow-up question is, what am I losing by doing this? I know converting from KFX isn't recommended, but why is that, and what is detrimental in this approach?

Thanks again to all, I appreciate your help.