Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #46
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Hmmm...just had something weird happen. I was working on an epub when it started slowing down, so I saved my work, closed Sigil, and reopened it. I had been pasting the same thing over and over (a span instead of a space after numbers or bullets in a list), but when I went back, the copied text was no longer available. Ctrl-V didn't paste anything. I had to recopy the span before I could start pasting again. This may have nothing to do with any of my problems (and I haven't been able to reproduce it), but I thought I'd mention it in case it gives you a different idea about where the problems might be originating.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Hmmm...just had something weird happen. I was working on an epub when it started slowing down, so I saved my work, closed Sigil, and reopened it. I had been pasting the same thing over and over (a span instead of a space after numbers or bullets in a list), but when I went back, the copied text was no longer available. Ctrl-V didn't paste anything. I had to recopy the span before I could start pasting again. This may have nothing to do with any of my problems (and I haven't been able to reproduce it), but I thought I'd mention it in case it gives you a different idea about where the problems might be originating.
Sigil no longer automatically adds what's in the system clipboard to the beginning of the Sigil clipboard ring-history whenever Sigil launches. But it doesn't attempt to modify the system clipboard in any way when it closes/launches.

I did a quick test to make sure what I had in the system clipboard with sigil open was still available (Ctrl-V) after closing and relaunching Sigil. I didn't run into any issues. Not doubting your report, just verifying that I can't reproduce it. Nothing in Sigil's code should be clearing your system's clipboard.

Do you have any clipboard handling-related software installed?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #48
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do you have any clipboard handling-related software installed?
I've got no clipboard handling software installed.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #49
Kiruhdu
Enthusiast
Kiruhdu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Touch Lux 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

That said, if someone does have a "killer epub" that would be helpful, would you please run the Sigil "Borkify" plugin on it to scramble the text (I think calibre can do the same thing) and post it someplace for us to test with via pm. It would be helpful especially in our memory leak testing.

Thanks,

KevinH
Hi

Do you need just the 'borkified' epub or before-after? However - I can borkify my 'killer-epub'^^ - how should I submit it to you?
Kiruhdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #50
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
With the issues of 9.11.& 9.12 I reverted back to 9.10. When 9.13 was released I backed up my INI files and installed 9.13 overtop of 9.10.

All was work for a bit the I started getting the black hole before selecting Icons. Then I couldn't get the preview windows to go to where the cursor was in a code window. (see attached)

Hate to say it but I immediately uninstalled 9.13 and reinstalled 9.10 and installed my backed up INI files. All is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.png
Views:	244
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	170388  
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
Then I couldn't get the preview windows to go to where the cursor was in a code window. (see attached)
What on earth is the name of that file in the open tab?

Are those filenames in the Book Browser all real!?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #52
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Sure. Get EPUB from Gutenberg, for example: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/308
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Only **after** being borkified to protect any copyrght.

You can create an issue on Sigil's GitHub and zip the epub and attach it as a killer.epub.zip or something along those lines. Alternatively if you have a DropBoxaccount or know of a FileSharing website that would work too. In that case just pm DiapDealer and KevinH with the link.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiruhdu View Post
Hi

Do you need just the 'borkified' epub or before-after? However - I can borkify my 'killer-epub'^^ - how should I submit it to you?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kiruhdu,

Thanks for that killer.epub. It was not fully borkified so I removed the link to it from my visitor page.

By the way, that is a really messed up epub.

It is a strong argument for never adding un-manifested files.
It has *.dat files that are really font files of some type but not properly included in the manifest, so calibre or something else nicely added them to the opf but gave them the world's most ridiculous mime types:

chemical/x-mopac-input

The css files with urls to those "font" files were wrong as well.

If you paid actual money for that epub, I would send it back and get a refund.

I was able to load it (took about 15 to 20 seconds which felt like a lifetime) and was able to edit and change it with no problems on my macOS machine (but I have 16 gig of ram to boot and a true quad core i7).

I will keep it for testing purposes but these omnibus style epubs are often very very poor quality and are simply shoved together with some file renaming.

Thanks for your testcase.

KevinH
Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 PM   #55
icallaci
Guru

Just want to say that I also experienced the unsyncing of the preview window with the codeview window during one of my editing sessions with 0.9.13. I closed Sigil and reopened it, but the problem didn't go away. Then I restarted my computer, and that seemed to clear it. The problem has not reoccurred, so I'm not sure what caused it in the first place.

Quote:
With the issues of 9.11.& 9.12 I reverted back to 9.10. When 9.13 was released I backed up my INI files and installed 9.13 overtop of 9.10.

All was work for a bit the I started getting the black hole before selecting Icons. Then I couldn't get the preview windows to go to where the cursor was in a code window. (see attached)

Hate to say it but I immediately uninstalled 9.13 and reinstalled 9.10 and installed my backed up INI files. All is good.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW... Having to restart a computer to clear a problem is typically related to either memory corruption, a bad memory chip as restarting randomizes the layout, or a conflict with something else running at that time that is not reloaded automatically at restart.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #57
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What on earth is the name of that file in the open tab?

Are those filenames in the Book Browser all real!?
As BeckyEbook said, that book is from Gutenberg. I downloaded it and read the book from there. I pulled it onto my laptop to see their code as to why that cover appeared on my Samsung e-tab / Nook preview and was able to get my cover to show in preview as well.

Brent
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As BeckyEbook said, that book is from Gutenberg. I downloaded it and read the book from there. I pulled it onto my laptop to see their code as to why that cover appeared on my Samsung e-tab / Nook preview and was able to get my cover to show in preview as well.

Brent
I'm sure it's probably not a problem. But it just seems wildly bizarre that someone would release a book in that state. That's just plain atrocious. It turns every link in the book into an url-escaped, unreadable mess for no good reason.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-26-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was able to load it (took about 15 to 20 seconds which felt like a lifetime) and was able to edit and change it with no problems on my macOS machine (but I have 16 gig of ram to boot and a true quad core i7).
Took me about 30-40 seconds on my mediocre work machine, but the end result was the same. I was able to edit with no apparent difficulty or high memory usage.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #60
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
FWIW... Having to restart a computer to clear a problem is typically related to either memory corruption, a bad memory chip as restarting randomizes the layout, or a conflict with something else running at that time that is not reloaded automatically at restart.
I don't disagree with your statement, but when I've been using Sigil since before 9.5 without issue until 9.11 it all points to a single program.

Sigil 9.5 is the oldest version still in my downloads folder, though I have had to replace my hard drive twice, losing all files that were on them. Important files are backed up.