Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW4
Advice for a first time pw user

Hello guys,

First I want to thank You for this amazing community I learned a lot about the obsession I never thought I had.

Now to the question
I initially wanted a kobo ereader but Amazon's substantial Black Friday sale persuaded me to get a kindle since I am a first time user and am not really familiar with the technology.

Is there anything I need to know about pw4 from other users some caveats aside from alleged lower contrast than pw3. Are there any mass production defects to keep an eye out for like flimsy plastic, screen defects, wigglly usb ports. I know that the general consensus is paperwhites are phenomenal devices with better quality control than other ereaders. I am asking so I know whether I should return it and ask for a substitute.

Also does anybody know how to test for dead pixels is there a template one runs that covers the entire screen, if so I think it would need two such templates one for regular and one for an inverted mode.

I hope I can still return it if something is wrong. Due date is end of this month and I haven't even opened the box because I had too much work

Thanks
Ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
As a charter member of Overthinkers Anonymous, I suggest you open the box, start it up, and use it for a few days. It makes no sense to plant possible problems in your mind before you even open the box.

I've been using Kindles since 2009, and they have all been great as far as the screens and reading. The only thing that may seem strange to a brand new user is the screen refresh, as it's seen as a "flash" for lack of a better word. You stop noticing it after a day of two of use. This is something you'll see on all e-ink readers, it's just how the screen redraws itself after a page turn.

Out of 9 Kindle models I've purchased, only one had an issue with the alignment of the screen with the bezel. The screen was a bit crooked, an assembly issue, and Amazon sent a replacement. That was years ago.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
If you've had it for almost the entire 30 day return period without opening the box you have been quite irresponsible. Have you been too busy to eat, go to the bathroom, or wait for an appointment? I read on my Kindle while doing all those things. It's been a while but the setup should take fifteen minutes and you'll be "using" the Paperwhite while you do that. I notice you had time to post a lengthy post about imaginary problems but did not have time to unbox the Kindle.

I've had two Paperwhites that developed a "hotspot". I don't know which term is appropriate but it was a tiny spot with a brilliant light. One was on an edge and appeared at an viewing angle that wasn't common and I usually ignored it. The other was right where I'd see it on every page I read and it was distracting so Amazon replaced the Paperwhite with no hassle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I just don't know how you have resisted having a 'play' with your new kindle for all this time!
That said, if there is something actually wrong with it, Amazon will accept a return after the 30 days. This period is really for people who receive a product and just change their mind about wanting it, even though it doesn't have a fault.

Get it out of the box, charge it up, register it, then load some books onto it and start reading. Aspects like page refresh (the slight flash when you turn a page) can be altered in the settings to a max of refresh every six turns, so you don't see it each time you turn a page if you don't want.

You won't find out all this wondrous stuff if you don't get using it. What's stopping you?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had 6 Kindle models over the past 7 years and none of them had any noticeable defects (except for the somewhat loose back of my very first Kindle which didn't interfere with reading on it at all, and except for the usual color variations of the frontlit screens). I think you're worrying unnecessarily.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW4
Thanks guys,

Yes I know I am worrying unnecessarily and the reason I haven't opened it yet is because I bought an ereader to use with Koreader specifically. That is also the reason i wanted a kobo because of the ease of the installation. If there wasn't such a Black friday price decrease I would have gotten the Kobo Aura One because Koreader installation is literally drag and drop no possible bricking the device as with kindle jailbreaking. Every time I came home there were stuff to do I didn't want to brick it due to negligence caused by fatigue, also if I accidentally connected to Wifi during set up it would update and jailbreak couldn't be performed.

I am going to use it this week as I have finally got the time and I hope I can return it if something appears to be wrong. To me it seems and also a kind user pointed out it can be returned no questions asked after a month, and warranty covers a whole year if there are manufacturing defects not covering drops. I am pretty sure I am not going to return it because I don't like it

But You guys are right I wont know until I open it.
Just wanted to check what the return policy is from other users. I initially got worried because I received the device in a cardboard envelope.

Take care, and also thank You for your replies.
Ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico View Post
Thanks guys,

Yes I know I am worrying unnecessarily and the reason I haven't opened it yet is because I bought an ereader to use with Koreader specifically.
If you want to use koreader, you will have to jailbreak your kindle and you need to start browsing the Kindle Developer's Corner forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=150

Specifically the Brand new PaperWhite 4 (2018) factory image JailBreaking thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312489

When you open the box and turn on your kindle, do not connect to wifi.

You need to find out how to block automatic firmware updates from the developer Corner.

If your Kindle updates, you will not be able to ever run koreader unless you open the case, commect to the serial port, and reflash the firmware.

Once you jailbreak, it is safe to update the firmware if you follow the developer corner instructions for doinf so,
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead pixels, help request, paperwhite 4, pw4