Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #16
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What does this language nerdistry have to do with the price of tea in China? (I couldn't help myself, sorry)

The fault is mine, though I did tag my initial reply as OT - BookCat mentioned a review she tried to leave on Amazon, I jumped on my pet peeve pony, and we took a detour longer and more meandering than the Amazon. Mea culpa

Last edited by stuartjmz; 12-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What does this language nerdistry have to do with the price of tea in China? (I couldn't help myself, sorry)

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Green Tea in Japan is Ocha.
Apache
And then there are various teas, also of green color (matcha, ryokucha, genmaicha, hojicha, etc), and other colours as well (kocha, mugicha, kombucha, etc) but they all have cha in the end (which is same as chai in Hindi). Just like in Russian and many European languages it’s called chai.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Char" in Aussie slang, eg, "Cuppa char, love," but becoming obsolete. Pronounced more like cha. No aspirated h on end, but no pronounced r either. Haven't heard it used for (wait for it) yonks.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
"Yonks" now that's a word which takes me back. Seems to be used as infrequently as "char" is now in the UK. I wonder what the origin was?

Answering my own question:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-yon1.htm

Last edited by BookCat; 01-05-2019 at 08:38 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote