Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
matopeto
matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Paperwhite
Kindle timezone

Hi, anyone knowns how to set timezone in kindle paperwhite (not jailbroken)

This is my problem:

I set time on kindle to 23:51

in javascript/browser i call Date.now() and i get 1546037486922

This is in GMT: Friday, December 28, 2018 22:51:26.922

So my kindle is somewhat in +1 timezone, from where this settings come from?

When i set time on kindle to 22:57 (one hour less)

Date.now() is 1546037913339

This is GMT: Friday, December 28, 2018 22:58:33.339

This give me +0 timezone

It seems kindle is running in GMT and set the timezone from diff time you set and GMT time.

This is very strange behaviour. Anybody have a explanation?
matopeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which model Paperwhite?
Which version of the firmware?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
matopeto
matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

PW3, actual firmware
Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matopeto View Post
PW3, actual firmware
Go to the "Device Info" panel in the "Settings" section, copy the version number to your post.
(I can't give you a more exact set of directions without knowing the firmware version - which is what you are looking up. )
Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
matopeto

it is 5.9.7
Old 12-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

OK, have you tried setting the date/time/timezone from the search bar command?
(same command sets all three at the same time)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
matopeto

Thanks for reply, What do you mean exaktly by set time from searchbar?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
matopeto

If i set time with ;setTime command, behaviour is the same.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
matopeto

It seems to be as i write. Confirmed by ;411 command.

If i set my local time (offset +1 from GMT) kindle is running in +1 GMT
If i set my local time to GMT it is running in GMT
and so on

So kindle knowns actual time and settings local time change the timezone

Last edited by matopeto; 12-29-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
matopeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
OK, have you tried setting the date/time/timezone from the search bar command?
(same command sets all three at the same time)

But i dont find documentation with date/time/timezone commands, only ;setTime and ;st wit format without timezone yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM
Old 12-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But i dont find documentation with date/time/timezone commands, only ;setTime and ;st wit format without timezone yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM
5.9 is new enough that it should accept the time zone field.

The search bar command simply makes a single call to the *nix date function without reformatting of input.
Ref:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/date.1.html
Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
matopeto

Thank you. It seems it is somewhat working I was able to set difrent time and GMT timezone.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you. It seems it is somewhat working I was able to set difrent time and GMT timezone.
Well, that is good news, Lab126 has had those controls "broke" for years.

There is a utility posted that will also correct the hardware clock (which "date" does not).
But that requires a jail break to run it.

The "somewhat working" you are seeing may just be the effect of not correcting the hardware clock.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
matopeto

"somewhat working" i mean, that set diferent GMT time is workaroud to my problem.

Because kindle webbrowser doesn't report local timezone to javascript (that is correct according to ;411 command) and always report getTimezoneOffset() as zero. So if i need to show correct local time i need to set GMT to local time (in my case +1) (without using 3rd library and set the timezone by hand in javascript)

Last edited by matopeto; 12-29-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If your computer is running ntpd and you have usb networking, you can ssh to your kindle and get the time from your computer.
Code:
ssh root@192.168.15.244
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# ntpdate 192.168.15.201
29 Dec 15:24:41 ntpdate[16285]: step time server 192.168.15.201 offset 16.067199 sec
(Use different IP addresses if you changed defaults)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote