Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I've seen some of the best pricing for used Kindles on Craigslist...and if you find one locally, you can check it out in person when buying. I occasionally see ones listed as cheap as $200 (some never opened).

Regarding ergonomics...for me the Kindle 1 was extremely ergonomic for reading no matter how you held it. The large key placement and easy to click functionality, made it problematic for some who would accidentally turn pages when not reading.

Oh and daffy-- I never go to "teaching the Kindle store" with my mother, we both decided that its easier for her to email any books she is interested in buying.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Oh and daffy-- I never go to "teaching the Kindle store" with my mother, we both decided that its easier for her to email any books she is interested in buying.
No email for my mother. She lives in the country and the only way to get internet is through dial-up or a satellite dish (too expensive). Also as much as she likes the idea of being a techie, she gets intimidated by it very easily (I've purchased both Windows and Mac laptops for her with no luck). We live 3 states apart so I'm not there to work with her to help her learn (she forgets what I teach her after I visit).

Kindle 2 is going to be the bridge. By having two K2's it will be easier <insert laugh here> for me to work with her over the phone. The Whipernet signal is stronger in her area on the K2 than it was on my K1 so I don't have to worry about getting her on the computer.

Now that the plastic is gone and she knows how to get into the Kindle store, it should be easier <insert a bigger laugh here>. Also my brother and sister can send her emails and pictures as "books" once I add their email addresses to her account. It's a baby step.

Pray for me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Pray for me.
Laughing here and prayers sent.

My mom has a PC which she uses only for email (mostly jokes and urban legend stuff)...and it gets so clogged up, we have to clean it up every 6 months because it gets so slow.

Come to think of it, her recent request for books came via snail mail (newspaper and magazine clippings)
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
If I were starting over, I might have bought the Sony 505 instead of the Kindle 1 because of the ability to borrow library books. I am a big proponent of the library, and was almost exclusively getting my paper books from the library. I was disappointed when I found out the kindle is not really suited for this. Now there is a way to remove DRM from library books and convert them so they can be read on the kindle, but some people have issues with that. I don't, but if you would, and if you want to check out ebooks from your library, I suggest the Sony.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
If I were starting over, I might have bought the Sony 505 instead of the Kindle 1 because of the ability to borrow library books. I am a big proponent of the library, and was almost exclusively getting my paper books from the library. I was disappointed when I found out the kindle is not really suited for this. Now there is a way to remove DRM from library books and convert them so they can be read on the kindle, but some people have issues with that. I don't, but if you would, and if you want to check out ebooks from your library, I suggest the Sony.
Does your library carry .mobi books because they will work on the Kindle without removing the DRM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does your library carry .mobi books because they will work on the Kindle without removing the DRM.
Not nearly as many as PDF. I found 70 total mobi romances at Chicago Public Libary - they have over 700 PDF romances to borrow. Hence, the beginning of my life of crime. Debra
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Not nearly as many as PDF. I found 70 total mobi romances at Chicago Public Libary - they have over 700 PDF romances to borrow. Hence, the beginning of my life of crime. Debra
Who's gonna arrest that cute little puppy face.

It might be worth checking out the New York Public Library. If they have a lot of romance books in mobi, it could be worth the $100/yr membership. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannah346 View Post

Your comments were very helpful. I thank you very much. I do not think one can get the Kindle 2 anymore. Do you know if this is true?

One of our own members listed one (K1)here for $200 earlier today.

Check the "fleamarket" .......here is the link;

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40693

Last edited by desertgrandma; 03-01-2009 at 09:22 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Who's gonna arrest that cute little puppy face.

It might be worth checking out the New York Public Library. If they have a lot of romance books in mobi, it could be worth the $100/yr membership. Just a thought.
Thanks, daffy, my thoughts exactly!

I jutified the price of an ereader on ebooks from the library. Not that $100 would make or break me, but since I pay $400 a year to my local library through property taxes, I feel like I should be able to use their services.

But the real reason is I cannot justify spending $$ on these books! They are 2 hours of pure fluff. I can read a couple a day, between my train commute and my insomnia. $4 a book doesn't sound bad, unless you multiply that by 50 books a month.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #25
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I like the feel of the K1 much better. The thickness of the left side just feels natural in my hand and the big page turn buttons did not bother me in the least. The K2 feels like it's going to easily slip through my fingers when read without the cover. The K1 also has better contrast. The K2 is much better for reading blogs and newspapers though with the ability to skip to the next article at any point or bring up the list of articles with a touch.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
I like the feel of the K1 much better. The thickness of the left side just feels natural in my hand and the big page turn buttons did not bother me in the least. The K2 feels like it's going to easily slip through my fingers when read without the cover. The K1 also has better contrast. The K2 is much better for reading blogs and newspapers though with the ability to skip to the next article at any point or bring up the list of articles with a touch.
I agree with you on the thickness of K1. I find it more comfortable to hold (while in the cover) than K2. I like the thickness.

K2 is more comfortable to hold while it's naked, something I could never do with K1. I haven't received my K2 cover yet so I don't know how I'll prefer to read it (cover or not).

I'm about to do a test. I think K1 is going to be better to use on treadmills, ellipticals and just about any kind of cardio equipment because the page turn buttons are easier to work. But, if I turn on the TTS with the volume all the way down and the slowest read (at the right font size), I would have auto page turning that might work well.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #27
LauraBayne
LauraBayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, Sony, Cybook
Sarah from SmartBitchesTrashyBooks.com is doing a series where she compares Kindles 1&2 with Sony 505 & 700. Here's the link for the first installment:
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.c...mpics-round-1/
LauraBayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #28
morriscsps
morriscsps began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for the link. I like the Smart Bitches' site.
morriscsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
No email for my mother. She lives in the country and the only way to get internet is through dial-up or a satellite dish (too expensive). Also as much as she likes the idea of being a techie, she gets intimidated by it very easily (I've purchased both Windows and Mac laptops for her with no luck). We live 3 states apart so I'm not there to work with her to help her learn (she forgets what I teach her after I visit).

Kindle 2 is going to be the bridge. By having two K2's it will be easier <insert laugh here> for me to work with her over the phone. The Whipernet signal is stronger in her area on the K2 than it was on my K1 so I don't have to worry about getting her on the computer.

Now that the plastic is gone and she knows how to get into the Kindle store, it should be easier <insert a bigger laugh here>. Also my brother and sister can send her emails and pictures as "books" once I add their email addresses to her account. It's a baby step.

Pray for me.
If she gets good Whispernet coverage there, she could get an EVDO modem for her computer. I think the service is $30 on top of your Sprint service. If she uses some other wireless provider, she could see if they have a similar deal. I think most do. Some allow you to tether your phone to your computer and use it as a modem, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #30
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
listen, I've never had an e-book reader but I've researched for years. Finally bought the Kindle 2 and I am loving it! It's the cat's pajamas and the bee's knees.
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote