Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Netbooks

Does anyone here own one, or have you played with one at any time?

Since our community is so used to tiny handheld devices, I was wondering what your impressions were.

I just bought a Sony Vaio P a few days ago (I love my Sony products - even if they don't love me)

So far I'm enjoying the experience. It doesn't have a touch pad. Instead it uses one of those old school roller ball thingies in the center of the keyboard. The whole thing kind of has a retro appeal to me.

And for what its worth - I'm typing right now on the keyboard and the spacing is pretty decent.. ... I can just about touch type and I spent about 4 hours working with the keyboard today with no cramps or adverse effects yet - - AND my typo numbers are getting smaller by the day.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
lots of people have them, i had one, my finger's too big for good typing, need a full size keyboard, good for reading pdfs
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I have one, but mostly use it in the summer so I can have a computer in the living room where the air conditioner is.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Does anyone here own one, or have you played with one at any time?

Since our community is so used to tiny handheld devices, I was wondering what your impressions were.

I just bought a Sony Vaio P a few days ago (I love my Sony products - even if they don't love me)

So far I'm enjoying the experience. It doesn't have a touch pad. Instead it uses one of those old school roller ball thingies in the center of the keyboard. The whole thing kind of has a retro appeal to me.

And for what its worth - I'm typing right now on the keyboard and the spacing is pretty decent.. ... I can just about touch type and I spent about 4 hours working with the keyboard today with no cramps or adverse effects yet - - AND my typo numbers are getting smaller by the day.
I just ordered an MSI Wind ... which should be arriving in Texas just about the time I set foot in Los Angeles.

It's going to replace one of my other computers that, sadly was lost in the recent Peterbilt vs. Ford Escape fight. I'll let you know what I think about it as soon as I get my hot little hands on it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I've got an Asus eee. It's great for overseas travel. I opted for a 12gb solid state disk model for the extra ruggedness. 12gb is plenty of space for Win XP and programs. I keep all my data separately on an encrypted USB flash drive. That way, if the Asus is stolen or lost or destroyed, I still have my data.

Last edited by RCR; 03-01-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: wrong company name
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 9, which has a 32GB SSD rather than a hard disk. Excellent for mobile web browsing and email, writing letters, etc, but entirely unsuitable for use as a bookreader (it's just the wrong "shape"). Being SSD, it's completely silent, which takes some getting used to! I take it with me whenever I go away on trips. WiFi works great.

Some of the netbooks take the approach of having a "full" laptop keyboard with very small keys. Dell have taken the other approach - normal size laptop keys, but a restricted keyboard - no function key row, for example (they are replaced by an "Fn" key pressed in conjunction with a key on the middle row of the keyboard).

Excellent machine, but, as I say, don't buy one if you're after something to read books on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I've had a Medion Akoya (=MSI Wind) for 4 months & I love it ! 1.2 Kg, full keyboard, 1Go memory, 80Go HDD, windows XP. It fits in a (big!) pocket!
It's my one & only machine; I have a 20" screen in the office.
The 3cells battery is not great : 2 hours & some of autonomy is so-so; the new 6cells batteries are announced w/ 5 hours autonomy...
It's not very speedy, but for e-mail, word & powerpoint I find it perfect.
Also, it's for sale in France for 249 € (as comparend to the last Sony wonder at 1800 €, "blessed" with Vista too).
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I have an Acer Aspire One with a 160 gb HD and a nice size keyboard. I have it with me at all times and am always online thanks to a 3G flatrate and a USB modem. Love it, too. It is really fast and does all the things my desktop does, too (music, movies, office work) The only drawback is the reflecting screen that is otherwise fine for occasional reading and assembling ebooks.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
I have a Dell Mini 9 and its an excellent little netbook, I am really happy with it but I agree with Harry its not good as a book reader.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I have the Asus eeepc with the 7 inch screen. I bought it when it became available in France last year. It is a great machine. Small and light. However the screen is only 800 pixels across so I have to scroll left and right all the time even when I am reading this forum. So I am selling it and moving on to the Samsung NC10. It has a 6 cell battery and larger screen and keyboard.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I have a Samsung NC10.
I enjoy the long battery life and the small form factor (for a computer).
It's great during travels and in my train commute everyday.
But I don't plan on using it to read, except maybe to consult some RPG PDFs for reference during play sessions.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
My Sony isn't actually that difficult to read on. It also comes with a built in magnifier for making text larger and easier to read.

I'm enjoying the keyboard so far, its actually spaced similar to a full size. So far I think I've made six typoes in 16 hours of use, which is pretty darn good.

I'm not a big fan of having Vista on this tiny thing (it went into boot loop last night) but once you disable all the bells and whistles, I think it takes a significant speed increase.

I'm not using it for much more than screwing off at work (EV-DO to avoid being babysat by our IT guy) and word processing....I've got a few older games to try on it for super spare time (Heroes of Might and Magic IV, Starcraft, Warcraft III) I may try to get WoW to run on it too....but I only get 5gb of bandwidth per month.

I agree on all the comments about using it for a reader, it just doesnt seem to be an option.. Especially with this 1600x1024 resolution or whatever this is.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
THE best deal is on the Dell Mini 9, as low as $199. Beautiful machine
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
THE best deal is on the Dell Mini 9, as low as $199. Beautiful machine
Ya made me go look at this. Now I want one.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
order yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Ya made me go look at this. Now I want one.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote