Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #121
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
Second store had a display of kobo gift cards, but it was odd. You could buy denominations for dollar amounts (that makes sense), or you could buy gift cards for particular books in particular formats. That seems not the best option, since what if someone already has the book, and the card prices seemed inflated. To Kill A Mockingbird, in audiobook, was $27, which seemed quite pricey. I asked there about the Kobos, they didn’t know if there were plans to bring any in store. Their best guess was to check around Black Friday.
I think the book cards they do have on display are — more or less — just there for spur of the moment purchases. Samples of what's available online. As for Kobo devices, what I read in Walmart's press release was that there was going to be 1,000 stores that had the devices and 3,500 stores that had the book and gift cards. I don't know if the 3,500 stores included the 1,000 stores that had both, or not. So if that particular Walmart has the book cards but doesn't have the Aura on display (or at least a spot for it) I'm guessing they won't be getting them. (Unless the numbers change, and maybe for Christmas in the tablet section?) I guess it also depends on Kobo sales.

I honestly thought the "roll-out" would be a bit bigger than this.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-26-2018 at 07:17 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #122
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the book cards they do have on display are — more or less — just there for spur of the moment purchases. Samples of what's available online. As for Kobo devices, what I read in Walmart's press release was that there was going to be 1,000 stores that had the devices and 3,500 stores that had the book and gift cards. I don't know if the 3,500 stores included the 1,000 stores that had both, or not. So if that particular Walmart has the book cards but doesn't have the Aura on display (or at least a spot for it) I'm guessing they won't be getting them. (Unless the numbers change, and maybe for Christmas in the tablet section?) I guess it also depends on Kobo sales.

I honestly thought the "roll-out" would be a bit bigger than this.
My store has a nice display now but the employees are clueless. They don’t know what an ereader is so they call it a ebook. Lol I purchased the Aura and it was a painful shopping experience. I almost went postal with these idiots. So far the Aura is thinner and lighter than a paperwhite. Better customization as well of fonts, sizes..etc. Only two things I hate is keyboard is so small took
Me dozens of tries to log in and I do not see a way to bold text
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #123
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPribyl View Post
Just found my way back to mobileread after debating spending the $$ on an Oasis since I scratched my voyage . However, I then found about about Kobo’s and became intrigued. I didn’t even realize Walmart was going to be selling them, so I’m hopeful that my local Walmart will have them tomorrow!
I love love the oasis outside of the battery life which sucks. I have to recharge 2 or 3 times a week
Old 08-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #124
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've not been to a Walmart yet to see if they have them ( Kobo's ) but at this point they probably won't be one of the 1000 stores. No ads about Kobo from Walmart so far either. They just don't seem to be promoting them. I agree not a very good roll out effort. If they are this timid at launch it doesn't look promising. Most likely they will be available online in most stores. Better than nothing but still I would like to see them in person. Maybe they will have them on the shelves by the holidays.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #125
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I've not been to a Walmart yet to see if they have them ( Kobo's ) but at this point they probably won't be one of the 1000 stores. No ads about Kobo from Walmart so far either. They just don't seem to be promoting them. I agree not a very good roll out effort. If they are this timid at launch it doesn't look promising. Most likely they will be available online in most stores. Better than nothing but still I would like to see them in person. Maybe they will have them on the shelves by the holidays.
It's possible that they want to get supplies up and work out the kinks before the big promotion(s). I don't know. I'm hoping that, at some point, they have a sale to get people's attention. As it is, so far, it's not very impressive.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #126
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Well, that's something I never knew. Do they lower the price of everything you buy with cash?
The price was lowered simply by going from free 2 day home delivery to 2 day store pickup - regardless of payment. I am not sure if all store pickup are cheaper, I have never ordered from Walmart.com.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #127
kcladyz
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post

Pull up the kobo on Walmart.com and use the store availability feature to whine which store has them
Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #128
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I would imagine the specific book cards could be used for some other book if the recipient already had it. Need to read the fine print though.

Checked the website for store availibilty here -- looks like it's only ship to store and pick up in a few days. One of the readers (Clara?) had a pick-up discount.
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #129
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Lol I purchased the Aura and it was a painful shopping experience. I almost went postal with these idiots. So far the Aura is thinner and lighter than a paperwhite. Better customization as well of fonts, sizes..etc. Only two things I hate is keyboard is so small took
Me dozens of tries to log in and I do not see a way to bold text
Search through the different threads here or post a separate thread and you should get some answers. If you want all the text bolded, you should be able to adjust the font weight. But that discussion is probably better had in a different thread.

Hope you like your Kobo. I've only had limited experience with the Kindle, so I can't say the Kobo is better. But it is loads better than the Nook software experience.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #130
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Flaneurette figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle gen2/pw1/voyage/oasis3/nook glowlight3/kobo Forma
Quote:
It's possible that they want to get supplies up and work out the kinks before the big promotion(s). I don't know. I'm hoping that, at some point, they have a sale to get people's attention. As it is, so far, it's not very impressive.
Here is the ad from the nyt book review I mentioned upthread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F16F648-D67B-458A-A74B-20DDEAEE294D.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	897.6 KB
ID:	165881  
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #131
Cyfranek
Zealot
Cyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of lightCyfranek is a glorious beacon of light

Device: PocketBok Touch HD 3, Kindle Oasis 3, Tolino Vision 3 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
What a giant Kobo! 10 inches? More...? [ups, this picture is about e-book not ereaders]
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
What a giant Kobo! 10 inches? More...? [ups, this picture is about e-book not ereaders]
It looks like an eInk device in the ad. I wonder which one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #133
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Pull up the kobo on Walmart.com and use the store availability feature to whine which store has them
Thanks, the store nearest me will ship in 2 days for pick up. They don't have them on display yet. So they are only available online so far.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #134
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Lol at least they could have shown a Kobo with this ad. I know the ad is for e books, but since they are timing the roll out with the Kobo tie in ?
Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #135
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like an eInk device in the ad. I wonder which one.
It looks too big, the bezels look more like a tablet. Dedicated devices are nice, but will work on any tablet or phone you already have. Wherever you can use your tablet now, you will be able to read. Small steps, replace some entertainment on tablet with books, then venture outside.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote