Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Firmware 4.10.11591

I just installed the subject firmware on my Kobo Aura ONE. I can't find any release notes, so I'm not sure what's changed. The only thing that I have noticed so far is that long presses are now required to change the format of the reading progress reported in the footer.

I've notice a couple of bugs I've been monitoring still haven't been fixed, but I'll leave that for the bug report thread.

I am hoping the helpful gentleman that usually advises whether "attempt to support newer firmware" may be used with new firmware releases will comment on the compatibility of this setting with this release
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The new firmware can probably be called the "Walmart" release. I believe this will be released to the Aura ONE and later devices. I don't know about the other devices as yet.

The changes I know of for this firmware are:
  • Full Overdrive support available in some of the newer devices. This is the for the Aura H20 Edition 2, Aura Edition 2, Clara HD.
  • Fix: Top margin correctly rendered when opening an epub.
  • Fix: Long press needed to change the page progress display when reading
  • Reading settings page has been rearranged a little.
  • Paging in settings that need multiple pages has been improved.
  • Config file option "AutoUsbGadget" has been added. If set to "true" in the config file, the device automatically connect to the PC when plugged in. This needs to be added to the "DeveloperSettings" section of the config file.

If I find anything else, I will update this list.

For calibre, there are no changes needed except to bump the supported firmware version number. This change has already been checked and will be in the next calibre release. Until then, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" in the drivers.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-21-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
¡Bien, bien, bien! I'm not going to change the display of the progress anymore
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

• Overdrive support available some of the newer devices. This is the for the Aura H20 Edition 2, Aura Edition 2, Clara HD.

Interesting! Is this what I think it is? Borrowing from Overdrive directly from the device and having the Overdrive book be in your account for the loan period (and thus sync to all devices using that account)? Will it be available outside the US?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for sharing your expertise with us, davidfor.

GoodEReader's news about the Overdrive support: https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...kobo-e-readers

Last edited by JeanPierre; 08-21-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Adding news
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
  • Config file option "AutoUsbGadget" has been added. If set to "true" in the config file, the device automatically connect to the PC when plugged in. This needs to be added to the "DeveloperSettings" section of the config file.
Someone at Kobo has obviously been watching @NiLuJe and I figure out a screen scraping solution to do this when faking a USB connection...

(Semi-joking here... could very well be be a co-incidence)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Interesting! Is this what I think it is? Borrowing from Overdrive directly from the device and having the Overdrive book be in your account for the loan period (and thus sync to all devices using that account)? Will it be available outside the US?
It is exactly the same support for Overdrive that is in the Aura ONE. So, linking your Kobo account to your library account and borrowing on the device. Then it syncs to any of your devices.

It doesn't appear that they have expanded the supported countries. The FAQ only lists Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this firmware yet available for the H2O?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The new firmware can probably be called the "Walmart" release. I believe this will be released to the Aura ONE and later devices. I don't know about the other devices as yet.

The changes I know of for this firmware are:
  • Full Overdrive support available in some of the newer devices. This is the for the Aura H20 Edition 2, Aura Edition 2, Clara HD.
  • Fix: Top margin correctly rendered when opening an epub.
  • Fix: Long press needed to change the page progress display when reading
  • Reading settings page has been rearranged a little.
  • Paging in settings that need multiple pages has been improved.
This is pretty big news about Overdrive. (At least I think it is.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
It is exactly the same support for Overdrive that is in the Aura ONE. So, linking your Kobo account to your library account and borrowing on the device. Then it syncs to any of your devices.

It doesn't appear that they have expanded the supported countries. The FAQ only lists Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This is pretty big news about Overdrive. (At least I think it is.)
So do I
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
JeanPierre
Zealot

By the looks of https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html it appears they have rolled back to the previous version (4.9.11311) for the Aura ONE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-21 Kobo Firmware Downloads.png
Views:	434
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	165767  
Old 08-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Overdrive functionality is huge news for me. Well done Kobo.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
The new firmware can probably be called the "Walmart" release What ?

- If I'm not "walmart" is just the name of the store, whee "Fnac", or "bestbuyca" ca = Canada.

I have version 4.10 but I do not have Overdrive, how to activate please ?

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-21-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I have version 4.10 but I do not have Overdrive, how to activate please ?
Does this apply to you?

Quote:
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Does this apply to you?
Hi Mathil ! How are you
I'm from France, is that a problem?
"now I see it, sorry"(Okay, so only the countries I know, I understand.)
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote