Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question HELP please with cool reader cr3 on a windows 7 laptop

Hi all

pretty please.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I couldn't find one that is relevant to windows pc/laptops or cool reader for windows only.

I have a working knowledge of using a pc daily, and can figure out some basic issues, but not this time. I have no knowledge of coding.

My PC is a Dell Inspiron windows 7 64 bit laptop and I've been using cool reader (cr3-qt-win32-3.0.56-42 which I seem to have had since Dec 2014) as my epub viewer and my epub files are associated with cr3 so I just click the file I want to read and bam, it opens.

A few days ago it just stopped working. No error messages, no pop ups, no warning, nothing. It just doesn't open any files.

confused.com!

This is what's happened so far...
  • I tried restarting my laptop a few times. Nothing.
  • I went to Set Associations and there's no cr3 available?
  • I went into the .exe file to open it just in case I had done something to shut it down unknowingly, and again, nothing happens.
  • I went to the control panel to uninstall the programme, so I could DL it again, and there's no cr3 there to uninstall?
  • I tried to "open as Administrator" and still, nothing happens (past the do you want to let this programme run...message).
  • I couldn't find a dedicated cool reader website but I DL it again (cr3-win32-qt-opengl-3.3.61.zip the most up to date version I came across as I couldn't find the one I had) from a third party website and ran it through my virus scanner and the programme opened but I couldn't figure out how to add any files to view.
  • I went to Set Associations again, cr3 is there now so I chose it as the default programme. And still nothing happens when I try to open a file.

Now I may well be missing something really obvious here. Or I may have inadvertently done something to it. And yes there are alternatives available (incl the calibre viewer) but you know when you like something, get used to it, and it works why change it? Especially when I just need it for basic viewing without any bells and whistles.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It's annoying the hell out of me and whatever the outcome, I just need to know.

Or has cool reader for windows become obsolete in the last few days? It seems odd to me that there is no website for it, but it seems to be all over many third party sites and there is loads of info available on the Android versions.

TIA for any help or advice.

ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Burgess Meredith
Burgess Meredith began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Hello Ilove,
I'm thinking a few things here. If you downloaded from a 3rd party site (like cnet)
The unscrupulous will take open source code, and put their own spyware, adware,
dirty underware in it. Did the cool reader go away after the last windows update?
Or maybe after you ran some anti virus software? Personally, i never open a downloaded file with out checking the file first with Spybot search & destroy, Avira, and
Malwarebytes. If you don't have Malwarebytes, download the free version, and run a
whole scan to be safe. Now for the Fun Part- You can go to git hub, (github.com/search?q=cool+reader&ref=opensearch) there is quite a lot of forks there
and you're right, there are many forks for android. Hopefully, there will be something
suitable For Win7. I have never used Cool Reader, but if you want something lite and fast, think of giving Sumatra PDF a try. It reads many file types not just PDF. It really is fun to work with. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Books Books All The Books I'll Ever Need.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	163673  
Burgess Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
Burgess Meredith

Hi Ilove,
I did some further checking at GitHub and found the code for the desktop
version of cr3 and discovered that the original source for download is here-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/

It's the latest version 3.3.61.zip: Some further thoughts, being that it is
designed for 32bit and you're running 64bit, after you have a clean DL,
right click on the file ~Properties ~then see if there is a setting to run the
32bit software on your 64 system (I know I had something like that on
my old WinXP Pro anyway.) Perhaps it was only that after all.

Hope it works,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Bookworm .jpg
Views:	417
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	163676  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Thanks for your support BM.

Not going in order of what you've said. I have Sumatra (didn't realise until I played with it that it's for more than just PDF's) and it looks good, I mean simple enough to me so that's what I'm using now. But the whole issue is still bugging me (excuse the pun!), beyond belief, being one of those who has constantly asked "why" way past my terrible twos!!!

Also, I do check anything I DL from a third party site with my AV virus scanner before openong the file. Are you saying that I should use something else too? Aren't Malwarebytes and Spybot search & destroy two versions of the same thing? So you check with your AV and then these two apps also?

Lastly, the link you provided is where I got the new file to DL and when I open properties there is no option to choose 64bit. But even if that was the case, why change all of a sudden after years of use as it was? Following your prompt though, I looked at my update log and there was a Windows Defender automatic update on friday 20th, which may be where it stemmed from... I can't remember which day was the last one when the app worked.

Now the thing is, this opens up a whole new discussion for me. When I click the details for the update, it tells me

"Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

There's a Microsoft link to find out more information which when I click it, it tells me

"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available."

And then there's also a link for help and support and when I click that , it tells me

"Protect your PC
Applies to: Windows 10". Also "Last Updated: Nov 30, 2017".

... Well, I'm on 7 not 10... why doesn't it know that when my laptop was bought pre-installed and was registered yada yada yada...?

So basically, I can't find out anything about this update that may (or may not) have ruined my cool reader despite that fact that there is a link for me to do so???
Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Burgess Meredith

"Also, I do check anything I DL from a third party site with my AV virus scanner before openong the file."

Sorry, I should have read your original post better.

"Are you saying that I should use something else too? Aren't Malwarebytes and Spybot search & destroy two versions of the same thing?"

Not exactly- for instance, Malwarebytes picks up things that slips past AV.
It's fast too.

"So you check with your AV and then these two apps also?"
Yes. Also, they show up (along with AV) when I right click on a file.

"When I click the details for the update, it tells me Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

I'm not familiar with Defender, but if you were to mean the monthly microsoft update, (the 2 nd Thursday of the month) I have chosen the-
'allow microsoft to check for updates, but let me decide when to install them.' Only install the Important Updates-never the optional ones.

"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available."

I've seen this too- Not very nice of them is it?

"And then there's also a link for help and support and when I click that , it tells me
"Protect your PC
Applies to: Windows 10". Also "Last Updated: Nov 30, 2017".
... Well, I'm on 7 not 10... why doesn't it know that when my laptop was bought pre-installed and was registered yada yada yada...?"

They are trying to Trick Us into upgrading to Win10 Don't Fall For It!

Can you open up Defender and see if it quarantined cr3 as a PUP?

There is a PDF i think you would want called 'PC Bits things you must do'
if you like, I should be able to send it to you with the messenger. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bookworm 2 .jpg
Views:	398
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	163685  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Hi again

So you use Malwarebytes in addition to your AV programme. What is spybot for then and why use both? (Excuse my ignorance!)

"I'm not familiar with Defender" Ha ha, me neither. Most of the stuff people talk about on this forum is waaaaay beyond my comprehension. But, the update was an Important rather than optional one. In fact I have two optional updates waiting for me to click yes to right now...

They are trying to Trick Us into upgrading to Win10 Don't Fall For It! Ha, well if that's the case no chance! For one my laptop is now in it's 8th year of almost daily battery (no pun intended) and (ab)use, showing very obvious signs of wear and tear (I have already replaced the hard drive once and could probably do with another new one right now) and I doubt very much would withstand an incredibly expensive upgrade, plus why put an old machine through that crap anyway?. For two, I have literally ZERO funds to buy WIN 10 or a new laptop at this time... if I could I'd be out the door quicker than The Flash on speed!

Why does Win 10 make you ??? Is it the HUGE (lack of) privacy issue?

Can you open up Defender and see if it quarantined cr3 as a PUP? WTF does this mean? Ha ha No never mind, I have just found it and checked and there is nothing listed. It tells me my computer is running normally and was last scanned at 05.04 this morning.

There is a PDF i think you would want called 'PC Bits things you must do' if you like, I should be able to send it to you with the messenger.' To save time I just googled (duckduckgo'd!) it, is it the same thing that's on Dean Hancy PC Bits Blog?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
Burgess Meredith

Hiya, Ilove,
So you use Malwarebytes in addition to your AV programme. What is spybot for then and why use both?
Basically, Spybot immunizes your laptop from (some of) the EVIL Doers. Dean's
suite of free security software complements one another without conflicting with each other. Also, when I right click on a freshly downloaded file, AV,Malwarebytes and Spybot both show up in the bubble as an option. I just do all three for the heck of it.
"Defender"
I got rid of that years ago. It's Trash compared compared to others out there,
but apparently ranks higher if you have Win10, which brings us to-

They are trying to Trick Us into upgrading to Win10 Don't Fall For It! Ha, well if that's the case no chance! For one my laptop is now in it's 8th year of almost daily battery (no pun intended) and (ab)use, showing very obvious signs of wear and tear (I have already replaced the hard drive once and could probably do with another new one right now) and I doubt very much would withstand an incredibly expensive upgrade, plus why put an old machine through that crap anyway?. For two, I have literally ZERO funds to buy WIN 10 or a new laptop at this time... if I could I'd be out the door quicker than The Flash on speed!

But Ilove, Win10 is FREE! FREE! FREE!
(Bill Gates did not become a billionaire by giving things away)

More later, have to get some

So, how's the weather in the UK?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burgess Meredith-In Deadly Color .jpg
Views:	386
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	163699  
Old 04-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Oh BM you is funny peeps!

The weather here on the south coast of the UK is okish, but still coldish enough I have my heating on indoors tonight! What about you?

Like I said-ish before I don't know anything about the "insides" of the laptop, just how to use normal everyday stuff, stuff to put on (in!) it to make some things helpful, useful and pretty, and some basic troubleshooting so windows defender isn't something I've ever thought about, let alone about replacing.

I can assure you that Win10 isn't free here any longer! (or was my sarcasm detector MIA when I read that bit?) If I want to "upgrade" my lovely current laptop to Windows 10 Home it's gonna cost me £75+ (>£100 via microsoft themselves!) double for the priviledge! Or of course the price of a brand spanking new laptop with it already installed... I WOULD LOVE A BRAND SPANKING NEW LAPTOP considering mine is WELL past it's best before date And despite my lack of insider knowledge, I am sceptical of Win 10 given all the privacy issues I've heard/read about so when £'s not so tight, I don't know what I'm gonna do?!

Anyways, have enjoyed wasting this thread chatting to you! Look forward to hearing from you again

PS I love the basic nature of my kobo glo, but man their CS stinks! I had an awful time sorting out an issue with them today! Can't afford to replace that either!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Burgess Meredith

Hi Ilove,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Insomnia and fatigue.
The weather here on the south coast of the UK is okish, but still coldish enough I have my heating on indoors tonight! What about you?
A blizzard a couple of weeks ago, and 82F the other day!
Wishing you'll have a good crop circle season this year, the South of UK
has a lot of aquifers and some think there may be a connection.
Win10 isn't free here any longer!
Wow, I can't imagine someone actually paying for it. Along with the
privacy issue, It seems to me that win10 uses your computer as a server
too, I guess it's cheaper for Dear Bill to use other peoples resources.
When Win7 is no longer supported, I expect Deans Suite to fully protect
me- or I'll be switching to Linux. Download Deans PDF, download the free versions of software and use that instead of Defender. I also subscribed to
his RSS feed and keep it on my browser so I remember to check it a couple
times a month for info on updating the various software.
You might do well to find a refurbished laptop with Win7 Pro. Look for
at least a 250 Gig hardrive with at least 4 Gig memory try (newegg dot com)
Maybe you could upgrade your current laptop from 4 to 8 Gig (it's cheaper)
if you don't know how much memory you have download the Speccy program
from Piriform they also make the CCleaner. Also Defraggler is better than
Microsoft's defragger. Giving your laptop a good cleaning should make it
run faster.
Anyways, have enjoyed wasting this thread chatting to you! Look forward to hearing from you again
I enjoyed you company as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burgess and The Gang.png
Views:	357
Size:	938.2 KB
ID:	163795  
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Off topic but is it necessary to end each and every post with a picture?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
Burgess Meredith

Off topic but is it necessary to end each and every post with a picture?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No, not necessarily.
Is it difficult to render on your device?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Have It Your Way Then-800x600-48-colors.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	163845  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

I loke seeing a new pic with every post!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Burgess Meredith

Well, Here You Go Then!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	conscioushumanenergy162_02.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	163993  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Thanks!

How you doing? (as Joey would say!). Hope you are kicking the insomnia/fatigue rather than the other way round. How's the sun where you are? So far so good here, has been okish, but a bit colder today.

Going back to the original convo, I've only ever seen new windows laptops or mac's for sale both online and in shops. Where would I look for a linux model? And what is linux like compared to windows? I've only ever used windows, never even used a mac before. I actually have a phobia against Apple, as like Amazon and their Kindle stuff they browbeat you into their product monopoly and I refuse to be dictated to like that.

My current machine really is not worth me spending any more money on, , it really is a monster now! It is coming up for 8 years old, which proably means more like 9 'cos how TF do we know how long they stay on the shelves for before they're sold? And TBH I don't like the idea of buying a refurbished machine, you don't get the same level of cover as you do when you buy new. Not that I'm in a position to buy anything yet, but when the time comes (hopefully later this year) after such a long time I think I deserve something sparkly and new... yes that's a tad shallow but it's also how it is.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #15
Burgess Meredith

Hi ILove! Feeling a bit better, thanx.
It's been pretty hot here lately, 87*F today (well, yesterday now.) It's definitely
time to get some tomato's in the ground. Where I am it's usually safe to plant them on the 15th but probably could have put them in a bit sooner.

Where would I look for a linux model?

Linux is software (an OS) and can be put on any machine that you would run Windows on. See-
https://www.linuxmint.com
For user manuals-
https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
You can even put it on the same machine as Windows, providing your hard drive is large enough to be able to partition it. Many people after having Linux would never switch back. It is supposed to be more elegantly designed than Bill's big jumbled heap of 1's and 0's.

One option is if you get a new computer, you can migrate your current files on to the new machine (you will want to do this anyway) and, with the wiped hard drive on the old machine, you can load Linux on it and then you'll have a spare.

Before you give up on your machine, tell me, how big is your hard drive (C,
and how full is it?

And how is the big wedding coming along?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SHERLOCK HOLMES VERSUS DRACULA.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	164016