Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
awcross
awcross began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Confirmed. As soon as I edited the ch1.html to fix the link href, the styling showed right up in Preview.

The corrected code as mentioned earlier in this thread by jackie_w:

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../Styles/TSOW.css"/>
Makes everything work. This is something that Reports or epubcheck would have detected.

In the future it would probably be easier to highlight ch1.html in the BookBrowser and right click and select Link Stylesheets... would probably be a safer way to make proper links if you are unsure about the exact href needed.
Yes! I just did the same thing! I have idea why reports or epubcheck didn't pick it up :/ Thank you so much for your help :-)
awcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Now, about that "CleanHTML" or whatever that site is--if THAT is the HTML that you get out, run like hell and don't ever look back. That is some of the worst-looking cruft I've seen, if it's to be construed as "clean" HTML. All those bloody spaces, etc. That's not clean. That's the dog's breakfast. I would NOT continue to use those folks, and quite honestly, you should manually clean your first 5+ files, because you will learn loads that you will NOT learn any other way.
And/or you could just not use that crappy word2html site.

If you are using Word, I highly recommend installing and using Toxaris's EPUB Tools. That is THE BEST way to output clean EPUBs directly from Word.

No need to send your files through some third party site (who knows what they do with that data).

His plugin also come with a lot of helpful tools (like Dialogue Check, which is the absolute best way to catch mismatching quotation marks).

I also highly recommend learning how to use Styles in Word:

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-c14a0abd8cfa

That change alone will save you A TON of headaches in the future, and your documents will be a hell of a lot better for it.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
And/or you could just not use that crappy word2html site.
Didn't I say that? (looks around, wondering if her mind was further gone than she thought....)

Quote:
If you are using Word, I highly recommend installing and using Toxaris's EPUB Tools. That is THE BEST way to output clean EPUBs directly from Word.
YES, I second this. WAY better than Word2HTML or whatever. Or D2D, or any of those online sites.

Quote:
No need to send your files through some third party site (who knows what they do with that data).
Ditto.

Quote:
His plugin also come with a lot of helpful tools (like Dialogue Check, which is the absolute best way to catch mismatching quotation marks).

I also highly recommend learning how to use Styles in Word:

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-c14a0abd8cfa
More ditto. Strongly recommend this.

Quote:
That change alone will save you A TON of headaches in the future, and your documents will be a hell of a lot better for it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The simple, Sigil way, to link stylesheets is the select the files: Right click: Link stylesheets: Select ALL to be used (those not selected will be unlinked)

That takes care of the Path details as well.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #20
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Except for the odd <a name= in the first paragraph, and the <p><em> </em></p> following it, I see no odd spaces or strange formatting.

I did a Prettify and added the /...Styles/, and it looked fine, except that I think it would benefit from <p class="first"> to open each chapter or section. And there's no paragraph style for the very first paragraph.

And of course the Metadata and TOC tools should be used eventually. That gets rid of most of the errors, though Flight Crew is unhappy with the italics.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I must be totally lost Hitch...or maybe the OP edited his file and I am not seeing what you saw. The HTML files I saw had the <p> tags on their own line and of course the empty paragraphs <p><em> </em></p> which is poor coding, but that is easily corrected with a right click and a Mend-n-Prettify. The only glaring thing I cringed at was the initial paragraph that was only surrounded by <a> tags. I thought that was a nono.

Did you see anything else???
Hey, Turts:

You didn't see all the gappy crappy stuff? Like the attached? At first, I wasn't quite sure what caused it; then I realized that there was *something* in there, and whilst I haven't looked at it in the nitty-gritty, they are, at the very least, spaces, if naught else. To me, hinky.

Hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-16_15-17-15.png
Views:	232
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	161617  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I saw the weird spacing in the sample.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I saw the weird spacing in the sample.
Thanks, Diap. I was starting to think it WAS ME!!! Oh, no...the horror...

(Yes, I'm a bit goofy this afternoon.)

Hitch
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Thanks, Diap. I was starting to think it WAS ME!!! Oh, no...the horror...
Looks like the "Word is just a typewriter" issue to me, with something injecting 4 SPACES after the in-paragraph CRLF endings, maybe Word as a result of a hanging indent on default Normal Style .

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	161622

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Looks like the "Word is just a typewriter" issue to me, with something injecting 4 SPACES after the in-paragraph CRLF endings, maybe Word as a result of a hanging indent on default Normal Style .
That's word2html trying to enforce an 80 (?) character limit.

Same with all the spacing around tags... the person behind that site probably thinks that makes it more readable.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I saw what BR is showing, but without all the 'CR/LF' and '...' that her HTML editor displays. After I used Mend and Prettify it seemed to clean it up except for the <a> issue around the first paragraph and the '<p><em> </em></p>'.

That makes sense now though what you were talking about. Thanks!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Same with all the spacing around tags... the person behind that site probably thinks that makes it more readable.
Well...your deduction makes sense, but bygod, that makes NO sense for "Word2HTML" to do that.

@Notjohn, you are ALWAYS recommending this site to newbies. Did you know that it did THIS??? That is total SHITE.

Hitch
Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Well it would, on a VT100 or 3270 terminal

Does word2html offer a 72 column option with line numbers so you can save it on punched cards, then if you dropped the deck you could resort it.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Well it would, on a VT100 or 3270 terminal

Does word2html offer a 72 column option with line numbers so you can save it on punched cards, then if you dropped the deck you could resort it.

BR
LOL, are we time-travelling? I got my start with the old 80-column punch cards...wow, takes me back.

Hitch
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #30
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Hi,

i was more progressive punch card reader/printer did exist on the Cyber 860, but i already had a magnetic tape with 9 tracks and 1650 bits per inch capacity.

Maui
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paragraph indent, paragraph spacing, paragraphing