Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks a lot, gmw. I like what you've done. Only I have to keep the "seem to" which gives it a little whimsy.[...]
I do know what you mean, but I also think that you've made the whimsy obvious enough already in both the opening sentence and the "one little problem" phrasing. By the time you add "seem to" as well, the reader is battered by whimsy and it just sounds like you're uncertain.

It's quite likely one of those things we might have to agree to disagree on , but from my own writing I've learned to give every "seem" and "appear" a really stern looking at.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I agree with gmw, in fact I would go further and pare it down more. This must have a high reading index, and I feel words like 'nefarious' could easily be replaced with 'evil'. You'd be surprised how many average readers don't know what nefarious means.

There's also a sense, to me, that you're giving too much away. Personally, I dislike blurb which tells me too much about the plot. As a feminist, an animal lover, and someone with a silly sense of humour, I'm possibly you're target audience. One thing puts me off reading it: it's about dogs not cats.

The majority of female animal rescuers rescue cats, hence the saying Crazy Cat Lady. I've known many of them, and they do become a close knit society giving each other support. The only dog rescue I've known was run by a man.

As you're at the point of writing the blurb, it's probably a moot point, but it may make your book even more popular if you alter the rescue species.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I do know what you mean, but I also think that you've made the whimsy obvious enough already in both the opening sentence and the "one little problem" phrasing. By the time you add "seem to" as well, the reader is battered by whimsy and it just sounds like you're uncertain.

It's quite likely one of those things we might have to agree to disagree on , but from my own writing I've learned to give every "seem" and "appear" a really stern looking at.
Ha ha. "Battered by whimsy." I love it. Yeah, I agree but some writer friends reading it don't. And I want to make sure everybody gets it. So I'm going to keep battering them with whimsy. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I agree with gmw, in fact I would go further and pare it down more. This must have a high reading index, and I feel words like 'nefarious' could easily be replaced with 'evil'. You'd be surprised how many average readers don't know what nefarious means.

There's also a sense, to me, that you're giving too much away. Personally, I dislike blurb which tells me too much about the plot. As a feminist, an animal lover, and someone with a silly sense of humour, I'm possibly you're target audience. One thing puts me off reading it: it's about dogs not cats.

The majority of female animal rescuers rescue cats, hence the saying Crazy Cat Lady. I've known many of them, and they do become a close knit society giving each other support. The only dog rescue I've known was run by a man.

As you're at the point of writing the blurb, it's probably a moot point, but it may make your book even more popular if you alter the rescue species.
Thanks BookCat. Yes, ha ha, a little late to switch over to cats. That'll be the next one. And thanks for the "nefarious" catch. I'm changing it to "villainous."
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe "he's stealing Chicago's dogs" instead of "he's systematically stealing Chicago's dogs". Does the adverb really add anything?

Do you really need "clearly unacceptable" instead of just "unacceptable"?

Sorry, the editor in me has come out to play

Last edited by BookCat; 01-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IWS needs to be removed for the full words. If you can't be bothered to do so, we (the readers) cannot be bothered to read your book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] The majority of female animal rescuers rescue cats, hence the saying Crazy Cat Lady. I've known many of them, and they do become a close knit society giving each other support. The only dog rescue I've known was run by a man. [...]
There are plenty of women doing dog rescue over here in Australia (more women then men as far as I've seen). There are women doing animal rescue of all sorts here.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 AM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Maybe "he's stealing Chicago's dogs" instead of "he's systematically stealing Chicago's dogs". Does the adverb really add anything?

Do you really need "clearly unacceptable" instead of just "unacceptable"?

Sorry, the editor in me has come out to play
Thanks BookCat. gmw suggested the "clearly acceptable" go and it did. I don't know though, I think the "systematically" makes it seem a little more sinister somehow.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IWS needs to be removed for the full words. If you can't be bothered to do so, we (the readers) cannot be bothered to read your book.
I agree 100%.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I agree 100%.

Here's how we do in Journalism: I was the Editor for the Arkansas Press Association (APA), in addition to being the Features Editor at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR). While at UALR, I majored in "Lunch-Room Dynamics" and minored in "Drunken Brawls 101."

So, spell it out the first time - see above - and then you can then forever use the letters whenever the organization is mentioned.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-11-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So, spell it out the first time - see above - and then you can then forever use the letters whenever the organization is mentioned.
Not a good idea. The reader may tend to forget. So occasionally spell out the abbreviation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not a good idea. The reader may tend to forget. So occasionally spell out the abbreviation.

If it's memorable, I don't think the reader will forget.

(What were those letters, again?)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J

"systematically" does suggest that he has a plan, maybe emphasise the sinister element: "is carrying out his plan to rid Chicago of its dogs" or something similar which suggest that he spends time planning the eradication of the dog population - maybe that's it! "is planning the eradication of Chicago's dogs."
I just avoid adverbs.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If it's memorable, I don't think the reader will forget.

(What were those letters, again?)
Do you guys really think not mentioning what the IWS stands for is that big a deal? How come no ones asking what the "rules" are? The fact of the matter is there are no rules and I don't know what the IWS stands for. I could make something up but I like the zaniness of not knowing.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #30
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
"systematically" does suggest that he has a plan, maybe emphasise the sinister element: "is carrying out his plan to rid Chicago of its dogs" or something similar which suggest that he spends time planning the eradication of the dog population - maybe that's it! "is planning the eradication of Chicago's dogs."
I just avoid adverbs.
Tempting, BookCat. Thanks. But I think "systematically" does the sinister job. And "ridding" could be killing them and "eradication" isn't really accurate either--he's stealing them.