Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #91
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Don't care... I just read the book if it interests me. I don't pick a book based on the sex of the lead character.

Hear! Hear! Absolutely!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #92
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
No preference.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #93
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I've read quite a lot with female leads of late, but that's mainly because I've been on an Urban Fantasy splurge whose protagonists appear to be either Harry Dresden or women in jeans and a tank top.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #94
hildea
Addict
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had a BeBook Neo earlier)
I agree with most of the others here, the most important thing is that a character is well written. There are lots of both men and women among my favourite characters.

Thinking over my favourite authors, I find that most of them are women. I'm also somewhat more willing to take a chance on an unkown author -- buying a book based on just one review or a tempting blurb -- if she's a woman. This is mainly because there are a couple of ways to write women badly that I've seen far more often from men than from women:
  • Where have all the women gone? Ie. almost no female characters. Any character who could be either a man or a woman just happens to be a man.
  • Narrative voice or woman's internal dialogue describes her sexy body, in situations where it's alien and irrelevant. For instance woman walking while thinking about politics, and the author takes the time to describe how her breasts move.
This comes not just from inexperienced and/or blatantly sexist authors -- I've come across this in authors who are otherwise great, and who are outspoken feminists. (Patrick Rothfuss and GRR Martin spring to mind.)

These aren't the only criteria I care about in books, of course. But all other kinds of good and bad writing habits seem to be distributed equally among men and women, at least as far as I've noticed.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #95
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Narrative voice or woman's internal dialogue describes her sexy body, in situations where it's alien and irrelevant. For instance woman walking while thinking about politics, and the author takes the time to describe how her breasts move.
Considering the news lately, maybe the author's just being realistic
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #96
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Considering the news lately, maybe the author's just being realistic
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is that something like the seven stages of grief?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Narrative voice or woman's internal dialogue describes her sexy body, in situations where it's alien and irrelevant. For instance woman walking while thinking about politics, and the author takes the time to describe how her breasts move.
Over the years, I've intended to read Friday, by Robert Heinlein. But then I also believe the book is full of what you just described. Have never decided to commit to it.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #99
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Is that something like the seven stages of grief?
No. It was the most coherent response I could come up with to your post.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No. It was the most coherent response I could come up with to your post.
Right on. I just read politics and an author having inappropriate thoughts about their female character and it all clicked.