Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #61
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I'm on the token plan for Safari, think I've had it since 2007.

One thing about the tokens is that they go away after a period of time, if you don't use them. To download a whole book you usually need something like 20-30 tokens. I get 5 tokens a month so it takes a couple of months to accumulate enough tokens for a whole book.

You used to be able to download individual chapters, and those cost a couple of tokens per chapter.

I've also noticed that fewer and fewer books offer the option to buy with tokens, so it's currently a limited range of books you can get with the tokens.
I haven't bought any O'Reilly books and/or e-books after they closed the online shop. I won't use Safari because I pay too much for not 'owning' the e-books.

That said I have already a lot of e-books in my O'Reilly bookshelf and now I have the time and motivation to read through my previous bought e-books. Decreasing my 'pile of shame'.

So, O'Reilly no new money from me in the short run.

Last edited by joblack; 11-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #62
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
and now I have the time and motivation to read through my previous bought e-books.
That's actually true. I find that it's harder to commit fully to a book on Safari, usually you read one chapter here and one chapter there. It's easier to get distracted. It's also easier to get overwhelmed when you get like 20-100 books to choose from.

Others have also pointed out the bane of VIDEOS. Every single time I make a search, Safari insists on showing me the tab with the Video titles
I have yet to find a setting that takes me straight to the books-tab.

I don't do videos, they're just a nuisance, so for Safari to shove it in my face is very annoying.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #63
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
That's actually true. I find that it's harder to commit fully to a book on Safari, usually you read one chapter here and one chapter there. It's easier to get distracted. It's also easier to get overwhelmed when you get like 20-100 books to choose from.

Others have also pointed out the bane of VIDEOS. Every single time I make a search, Safari insists on showing me the tab with the Video titles
I have yet to find a setting that takes me straight to the books-tab.

I don't do videos, they're just a nuisance, so for Safari to shove it in my face is very annoying.
Mostly I use Safari as a general purpose research tool, reading a chapter here, a chapter there. It does seem that with their focus on videos, they are dropping the ball on adding new book titles. The whole point of Safari for me is that as new technologies pop up, I can research it without having to waste money buying books that will be obsolete in two years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #64
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
That's how I use it too. Don't think I've read a single whole book on Safari. The user interface feels more skewed towards fast lookup and researching.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote