Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #166
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it was a typo for Kleenex. A brand name that in the US is used for any paper tissue, rather like Hoover is used as a generic term for vacuum cleaner in the UK.
Thank you. "Kleenex" isn't used as a "generic" name in this neck of the woods!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #167
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you. "Kleenex" isn't used as a "generic" name in this neck of the woods!
Interesting, I'm in your neck of the woods and I've heard it used as a generic term, I blame American TV
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #168
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I want to clarify something. Paul referred to Kleenex as any paper tissue in the US. This is inaccurate. Kleenex is a brand name of the tissue used to blow your nose. People use the term for tissues in a box.
Tissue on a roll is generally used on your bum. Common brands are Charmin, Scott and Cottonelle.
Then we also have colored tissue paper used in crafting and wrapping presents.
Tissue on a roll is usually referred to as toilet paper.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #169
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think you're being a little picky. Paul's claim was accurate. "Give me a tissue" and "give me a Kleenex" are synonymous in much of the US. That there's also other types of "tissue paper" isn't all that relevant. Case in point: I don't believe I've ever heard anyone (IRL) use the the term "tissue on a roll" in place of toilet paper.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2017 at 11:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #170
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I want to clarify something. Paul referred to Kleenex as any paper tissue in the US. This is inaccurate. Kleenex is a brand name of the tissue used to blow your nose. People use the term for tissues in a box.
Tissue on a roll is generally used on your bum. Common brands are Charmin, Scott and Cottonelle.
You won’t hear “tissue” when someone in Ohio wants a tissue. You’ll hear “Kleenex.” It is used almost exclusively, even though technically it is a brand name.

I buy Puff’s brand tissues, and still call them Kleenex when I refer to them. Everyone I know says “Kleenex.”
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #171
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think you're being a little picky. Paul's claim was accurate. "Give me a tissue" and "give me a Kleenex" are synonymous in much of the US. That there's also other types of "tissue paper" isn't all that relevant. Case in point: I don't believe I've ever heard anyone (IRL) use the the term "tissue on a roll" in place of toilet paper.
No, I was being a lot picky. As per tissue on a roll, I couldn't think of a better way to describe it here. That was a describer not what it is called.
Now I can't think of the last time someone asked me for a Kleenex. We just gave the sniffley person the box of whatever was on sale when we bought it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #172
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Actually, certain brands of loo paper used to come in boxes in this neck of the woods (I think some contract cleaning supplies still do - at least now it's tissue paper not the old hard loo paper of the past...)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote