Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
philb
philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Unhappy Kindle PW bezel dented

I've dropped an ipad on my Kindle PW and dented the bezel.

Amazon don't repair them, so what can I do?

At least it wasn't the screen.

Photo of Dent
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
So its just a cosmetic damage then? All functions normal including screen? If looking at it bothers you, try putting on a skin with design and you won't see it anymore.

I'd consider myself lucky if it didn't hit the screen.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
philb
philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.philb shines like a glazed doughnut.

Yes it's just the bezel and the screen is fine.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd keep it visible as a reminder to treat my Kindle with more care. You were very lucky that it didn't hit the screen. One reason that I always keep my Kindle in a cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post

Photo of Dent
How is the IPad?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'd be so angry at my Ipad that I'd probably beat it half to death.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
If it really bothers you, you could consider buying a decal (e.g. on Decalgirl, but there are other websites) and applying it on the kindle. If you don't want it to be conspicuous there are even some that are matte black, or black/grey woodgrain.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Photo of Dent
The bezel is attached with reusable glue.
Peel it off, warm and smooth from backside, replace (all of the glue that you didn't iron off will still work).
GENTLY warm, the bezel is pretty tough stuff, but not indestructible.

Some "Scotch Brand double sided tape" can be used instead of re-using the factory glue.

OR

Just decide that you have modified your Kindle to include a tactile indication of where to put your thumb.

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2017 at 10:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
philb

Thanks guys, the dent is under my thumb when reading, so it's not too bad.

I'll have a look into removing the bezel, but in all honesty, the risk of damaging it further probably outweighs the attempted fix. Unless I had a new bezel to replace it with.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks guys, the dent is under my thumb when reading, so it's not too bad.

I'll have a look into removing the bezel, but in all honesty, the risk of damaging it further probably outweighs the attempted fix. Unless I had a new bezel to replace it with.
Read/Watch some of the teardown information in the Wiki, that would give you an idea of what is involved.

Just use a nonmetallic thingy to slip under the bezel to peel it off.
Chopped up credit cards work well.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bezel, repair