Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Updated iPad Air today with no issues. My available storage went from 2.93 GB up to 4.18 GB after the upgrade on a 16 GB drive.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The only issue so far is with the TitanTV app, which is a TV show listing guide, will not load any data on the iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.3. This app is working fine on my iPad Pro and iPhone 6+ which are still running 9.2. Other than that I haven't noticed any other issues. But I haven't had a lot of time to spend with the Mini today.

The iCloud settings have moved. Under settings menu there is a profile setting, and iCloud is now under that menu.
This morning the TitanTV app is working fine, so yesterday must have just been a glitch, probably unrelated to 9.3.

The new settings menu group I talked about is at the top left of the screen, see screen capture attached. Pressing this group item brings up a menu page wherein you can edit Apple ID, iCloud, and iTunes and App Store settings. To be honest I thought this was just a label at first as it does not look like the other menu items. It is easy to overlook it as it does not resemble the other menu items in style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS-9.3-system-menu.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	570.7 KB
ID:	155870  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-29-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How can I update my iPad 4 without using iTunes? OTA is not working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can I update my iPad 4 without using iTunes? OTA is not working.
Try again, I just now finished doing an OTA update on my iPad Pro 9.7. I did an OTA yesterday on my iPad Mini 2. So the servers are probably just swamped at the moment.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just updated my iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB. So far everything looks okay. The one weird thing, which I also noticed with my iPad Mini 2 update yesterday, is the storage amounts don't seem to jive at all because they vary between device About menu and iTunes amount shown. The iTunes amounts seem way off IMO, but no surprise there. I think iTunes is a suckfest when it comes to anything but music stuff. I don't use it for music, do maybe it sucks at that too. But it definitely sucks at being a library for all the iPad files.

Here are my results from today's update of my iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB. I show both iOS 9.2 results and iOS 9.3 results on the iPad and in iTunes.

iOS 9.2
  • 27.95 GB Capacity
  • 7.52 GB Available

iOS 9.3
  • 28.56 GB Capacity
  • 8.47 GB Available

iTunes with iOS 9.2
  • 26.04 GB Capacity
  • 10.59 GB Available

iTunes with iOS 9.3
  • 29.81 GB Capacity
  • 11.03 GB Available

I think Apple has some 'splaining to do about their numbers being different on the device and in iTunes.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Why are you adding capacity (maximum usable storage) to available (unused storage)?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Why are you adding capacity (maximum usable storage) to available (unused storage)?
Probably because I was up most of the night with bad storms going through the area. Not fully awake yet! But the numbers are still off between what the devices show and what iTunes shows. Not sure why, but they are.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I see a similar discrepancy between the numbers reported in the settings of my iPad and what iTunes reports when connected.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see a similar discrepancy between the numbers reported in the settings of my iPad and what iTunes reports when connected.
My two iPads and my iPhone all three show the discrepancy between the numbers reported by the devices and iTunes.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could it be something as simple as one of them regarding 1MB as 1024k and the other as 1000k, or something like that? Such a thing is very common.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Caved in, updated 6S, 5S, iPad Air 2, and Watch Series 1. Havent done AppleTV yet. So far it seems to me that things are just a bit smoother than they were. Eg Hyphen reader (and other apps) loading faster, or, at least, seeming as if they load faster. I guess the cruft cleanout helped
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 AM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could it be something as simple as one of them regarding 1MB as 1024k and the other as 1000k, or something like that? Such a thing is very common.
I don't think so. Here is the math both ways:

iOS
8.47 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 8,470,000,000
8.47 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 9,094,593,249

iTunes
11.03 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 11,030,000,000
11.03 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 11,843,372,319

None of these amounts seem to match another.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #28
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think so. Here is the math both ways:

iOS
8.47 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 8,470,000,000
8.47 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 9,094,593,249

iTunes
11.03 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 11,030,000,000
11.03 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 11,843,372,319

None of these amounts seem to match another.
Perhaps one is counting something that the other is not? Does iOS have a backup partition to aid in the reset process? Or perhaps something else to do with the system?

Last edited by Dylrob; 03-30-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #29
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Might be sparse files. They are a new feature of the APFS. iOS itself might be reading it wrong.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Might be sparse files. They are a new feature of the APFS. iOS itself might be reading it wrong.
No, iOS and iTunes were off on iOS 9.2 and prior, so this issue predates iOS 9.3 and thus the new file system.