Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #24961
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't often post my current reading on here, but I thought I'd mark the occasion of having completed my re-read of our Agatha Christie collection. A superb and superbly consistent writer over her career - though I must say that I feel there is more fun (more overt humour) to be had in the earlier books.
Have you read her non-fiction? My favourite is "Come, Tell Me How You Live", her account of the time she spent in Iraq on archaeological expeditions with her husband, Max Mallowan (later Sir Max) excavating Nimrud and other ancient cities. A wonderful (and extremely amusing) read. Her autobiography is also fascinating.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #24962
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read her non-fiction? My favourite is "Come, Tell Me How You Live", her account of the time she spent in Iraq on archaeological expeditions with her husband, Max Mallowan (later Sir Max) excavating Nimrud and other ancient cities. A wonderful (and extremely amusing) read. Her autobiography is also fascinating.
No, I haven't. I will see about chasing some down - especially with the emphasis on amusing. One of the things had I had forgotten since my last time through this collection was how much fun there is to be had in her earlier books. Thanks for the recommendation.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #24963
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. A comedy thriller and a recent impulse purchase.
Less comedy than expected, although there is some fun writing. An OK thriller.

Next up: Analog SFF for December 2016.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-18-2016 at 04:39 AM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #24964
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi only) Kindle Paperwhite 2G Wi-Fi only, iPad, iPod Touch
Jane Austen wrote twelve chapters of a novel before she died. Evidently she at first thought of calling it "The Brothers" but the family decided to call it "Sanditon" since that is the primary setting of the fragment. All who love Austen's writing should read this last unfinished piece as she is still at the peak of her literary powers and one senses that we have here a potential masterpiece.

Still, there is a feeling of disappointment that it ends after those twelve chapters leaving us on the border of an undiscovered country. Hence, there have been some attempts to "complete" the story as Austen might have intended. This has been attempted with an earlier unfinished novel, "The Watsons" In that case, however, Jane simply lost interest in the book and later told one of her nieces how she had planned to complete the story. Thus, those who have completed the book (including one of the descendents of the Austen family) are on fairly firm ground as to the plot. This is not the case with "Sanditon". Any completion is going to be purely the opinion of the author.

I have just finished "A Return To Sanditon" by Anne Toledo. Her completion attempts to recreate the settings, character types, relationships and dialogue style which appear in Jane Austen's works. But she fails to generate the sharp irony that is so much a part of Jane Austen's vision of her world. Her heroine, Charlotte, is nice, gentle, and child-loving--altogether too much so! Some of the scenes don't ring true. Yes, bathing machines existed in the 18th century, but I somehow doubt that Austen would have used one as a setting for the formation of a friendship. There are characters who are thrown in without a great deal of point--Jane Austen was very adroit in making efficient use of even minor characters.

Toledo gives us a rather gentle completion that is pleasant to read but is certainly lacking the sharp edge that Jane Austen would have provided.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #24965
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I finished Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho, a fantasy set in Regency England. I really liked this one. Goodreads indicates that this will be a series but the book is complete in itself. Two thumbs up.

Next up is Lucia in Wartime by Tom Holt, the continuing adventures of E.F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia.

Last edited by BenG; 11-17-2016 at 11:16 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #24966
Dazrin
Hey! Who took my cookie?!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Soul Music has been good so far (duh...) should finish tomorrow then I will start Ocean of Storms by Christopher Mari.
Yup, Soul Music was very good as expected. I don't have as high of hopes for the next one, Interesting Times, since I don't care for Rincewind much.

I got about 20% into Ocean of Storms but abandoned it this morning. I didn't care for the writing style used and couldn't get past that. Instead I started Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres and the Methods of Rationality which has been on my to-be-read list for a while.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #24967
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Analog SFF for December 2016.
An average (for Analog) issue. A good read.

Next up: Asimov's SF for December 2016.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #24968
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I finished Lucia in Wartime. Tom Holt does does right by E. F. Benson's characters and I plan to read the next in the series soon.

I've heard a lot of good things about Charlie Jane Anders' All the Birds in the Sky . I may get the audiobook for that one.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #24969
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeba View Post
I am reading the Euro by Joseph Steglitz. Its quite an Interesting book, i was initially reading it for a paper but then it evolved to something more, which is quite a pleasant feeling.
What'd it become, a coin?

I'm rather between books at the moment. Most of what I've been reading lately is dire news.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #24970
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Yup, Soul Music was very good as expected. I don't have as high of hopes for the next one, Interesting Times, since I don't care for Rincewind much.

I got about 20% into Ocean of Storms but abandoned it this morning. I didn't care for the writing style used and couldn't get past that. Instead I started Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres and the Methods of Rationality which has been on my to-be-read list for a while.
It's also has a lot of Cohen in it which makes it more fun.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #24971
Dazrin
Hey! Who took my cookie?!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Quote:
Instead I started Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres and the Methods of Rationality which has been on my to-be-read list for a while.
Meh. It was ok, I guess. Not going to continue past the first "book" of this.

Next up: TBD, I have 4 books on hold at the library and am first in line for 3 of them, hopefully something will come in this weekend.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #24972
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly and it was a predictably very good Connelly read. Next up Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman. I know in advance this will be a very good read because of all the recos from MobileRead members who NEVER get it wrong.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #24973
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
That is good news. I have it queued up and my daughter wanted to know if she needs to have read it before she comes up to visit for Thanskgiving.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #24974
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
An average (for Analog) issue. A good read.

Next up: Asimov's SF for December 2016.
Also an average issue.

Next up:

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Bought 14 Oct 2016, with the next seven in the series, when the series was on special offer. I'm enjoying this first volume, so it looks like it was a good buy after all.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #24975
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Next up are more 2011 purchases: Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer, Dead Ball by Michael Balkind, and Doubleback by Libby Fischer Hellmann.
Completed all of these^: Black Sheep was a good Heyer read, Dead Ball was meh (way too many characters, no character development, and plot going around in circles), and Doubleback was merely OK.

After these, I also completed The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer, which was good fun, plus I DNFed Wind to Water by David Hamershock (too sappy) and Murder in Clichy by Cara Black (to be fair, I didn't get into this far enough to say it was the book's fault, but I read enough to know I had no interest in reading more).

My next-up list has more 2011 purchases: Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo, The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer, and The Pirate’s Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote