Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Problems installing 0.9.7

Hi Kevin et al:

I downloaded the latest release, uninstalled 0.9.6 as recommended, then tried to install 0.9.7. It gets as far as the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24210 window then hangs. I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit. I have had problems with downloading and installing Windows updates due to the rogue Windows KB 3004394 update of December 2014, but I'm not sure if that is the source of the problem.

I thought it best to post here rather than on your issues page on GitHub because I'm not sure if the issue is with Sigil or my computer.

Thanks.
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's being discussed in the 0.9.7 Release thread.

The short answer is: while Sigil itself is perfectly compatible with all versions of Windows 7, the 2015 VC++ runtime (on which Sigil depends) that's being distributed with Sigil requires Windows 7 to have Service Pack 1 installed.

You can uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24210 from Add/Remove Programs (if it appears there) and download and install a version of the 2015 VC++ runtime from Microsoft that works without SP1 (if one even exists--I'm beginning to suspect not) and see if that fixes the problem. Or ...

Make sure both Sigil and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24210 are uninstalled, install SP1 for Windows 7 and try the standard Sigil installer again.

My apologies for this. I had no idea the 2015 VC++ Runtime required SP1 (nor predicted that there would be very many people who did not have SP1 already installed).

I really despise Microsoft sometimes.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well it's confirmed. The 2015 VC++ Runtime requires:

Windows Vista SP2
Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8, Windows 8.1
Windows 10

So Sigil v0.9.7+ now has the same requirements. I'll get to work on making sure the Sigil installer can detect whether the system is compatible with Sigil before installing.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm really, really surprised that there are Win7 implementations out there that don't have SP1. I can only think that they're machines not connected to the Internet?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm really, really surprised that there are Win7 implementations out there that don't have SP1. I can only think that they're machines not connected to the Internet?
It surprises me a bit, too. Heck, I went from my Vista machine directly to Windows 7 SP1. Still ... I should have accounted for it. I messed up.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It surprises me a bit, too. Heck, I went from my Vista machine directly to Windows 7 SP1. Still ... I should have accounted for it. I messed up.
(my emphasis added)

Naah, I don't think so. I'll bet it doesn't run on a Commodore 64, either. So maybe you should have planned for that as well. (Just kidding)

A simple posting on the OP telling those of us who are running a little bit outdated software is sufficient. You can't plan for every slight variable.

So lemme say it again: THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORK!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

I have SP1.

I tried downloading direct from Microsoft and installing the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24210 but it failed. Turns out, the likely culprit is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. About two years ago -- at the same time as Microsoft released the rogue update that falsely accused Win 7 owners of running non-genuine copies of Windows, and which rendered such systems unable to update Windows -- I had upgraded my hard drive from 500GB to 750GB. Apparently, the old IRST cannot handle the larger drive, so certain files don't get loaded, which is what has allegedly been at the heart of the problem, when all along I thought it was the rogue update.

This, after 7 hours of hunting, testing, hunting, testing...

But when I use Intel's Driver Update utility to scan my system so it can tell me which driver to download, it says no can do, your is an OEM and has likely been modified by your computer manufacturer; contact them. I call Asus and their tech guys don't know which driver to give me because I upgraded by hard drive.

So now I have to call Intel. Nothing whatsoever to do with Sigil as it turns out, though everything to do with Sigil because without it I cannot build the ebook I am in the middle of writing.

So back to the races. Intel's Pacific offices are now open.

Thanks for the response, though.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

So sorry for your troubles. Hope you get resolution soon.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So sorry for your troubles. Hope you get resolution soon.
After lengthy conversations with both Intel and Asus, and getting absolutely nowhere, I figured it out myself. Problem solved. Sigil installed. I'll post on the release thread in case anyone else has had a similar problem.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

No one has had the exact same issue, but FYI in case this comes up for you later:

I upgraded my hard drive a while back, from 500GB to 750GB. After that, Windows refused to update. All attempts by myself and my techie guys resulted in bumpkis, and I was told to just leave it as is. Which sucked because it left my laptop vulnerable.

Turns out, the problem is this: if you have an Intel processor and/or controller (not sure which is actually relevant to this), often when you upsize your hard drive, the older Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver fails to load essential dlls and you cannot update Windows. Some people reported that they hadn't noticed that their Windows and things like Security Essentials were not updating until something like Sigil with its need for Visual C++ came along and they could not install it.

So you have to update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. But if you're on a laptop, Intel's own driver update will not work; it returns a failure due to your system being unsupported ("OEM"). But in my case the sad bastards at ASUS (which I thought was a pretty good company) don't put the driver on their website. But if you go to HP you can find it there and it works the same. I found this one, http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&swEnvOid=4058, though it is 2011. There may be a newer one on the site if you dig deep enough. But in any case the 2011 worked. I was able to install the Visual C++ required for Sigil and install. Now I just have to update Windows, which will likely take all night.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@eggheadbooks1 - you probably don't need IRST. Google for "do I need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver" and make up your own mind. I've removed it from a couple of systems including one with RAID 1, no noticeable effects, except it stopped munching on the CPU.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@eggheadbooks1 - you probably don't need IRST. Google for "do I need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver" and make up your own mind. I've removed it from a couple of systems including one with RAID 1, no noticeable effects, except it stopped munching on the CPU.
Good to know. Will check it out.

Tags
0.9.7, fails, install, sigil