Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Email from Amazon

I just received a very strange email from Amazon. (Actually, I received it twice, sent to the same email address) I've copied the text below:
Quote:
Hello,

At Amazon we take your security and privacy very seriously. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email address and password sets posted online. While the list was not Amazon-related, we know that many customers reuse their passwords on several websites. We believe your email address and password set was on that list. For your security, we have assigned a temporary password to your account.

You will need to reset your password when you return to the Amazon.com site. To reset your password, click "Your Account" at the top of any page on Amazon.com. On the Sign In page, click the "Forgot your password?" link to reach the Amazon.com Password Assistance page. After you enter your email or mobile phone number, you will receive an email containing a personalized link. Click the link from the email and follow the directions provided.

Your new password will be effective immediately. We recommend that you choose a password that you have never used with any website.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com
The email supposedly came from security-update@amazon.com and it has a subject line of "Your Amazon password has been changed"

The strange thing about this email? I don't have an Amazon account associated with that particular email address.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
They did that to several others too.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Have you checked to see if you can log into your Amazon account?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not click on any links in that email but do go to Amazon. Com.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Have you checked to see if you can log into your Amazon account?
I have, and logged in with no problem. As I said, the email address that the emails were sent to are not associated with Amazon in any way.

Shari
Advert
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I would change the password anyway. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I would change the password anyway. Just to be on the safe side.
I did. The point is that IF the email came from Amazon, how did they get that email address? If it didn't come from Amazon, then what is the game plan? There were no links in the email to click on, so I don't think it was a phishing email.

Shari
Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Contact Amazon Alert them... sounds like a SCAM! You click the link they have Your information to get into your account.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I did. The point is that IF the email came from Amazon, how did they get that email address? If it didn't come from Amazon, then what is the game plan? There were no links in the email to click on, so I don't think it was a phishing email.

Shari
There is a link right below the signature that looks legit.
So yes it was phishing.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/...x1AY2Z1OHI02AT

Thread Starts in 2011 EXCATE Same Letter... People got some Today!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #11
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Unless emails of this sort are addressed to me personally by name (and not just "hello"), I consider them as phishing attempts and just delete.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I had a similar email a few weeks ago from Amazon UK - it had my name (would be easy to get from the email address) and absolutely no links anywhere. I had to change my password though AFAIK the only time a password/email combination leaked was from that Adobe breach quite a while back (and that had a different, unique, password anyway).

Amazon UK haven't bothered with 2-steps verification yet, maybe they should....

Last edited by Yolina; 03-14-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
There is a link right below the signature that looks legit.
So yes it was phishing.
No...that link was not actually a link in the email. It was just the web address typed out--the forum software turned it into a link when I pasted it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

Thanks Katie--I'm reading this now!

Shari
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

That's not quite the same text as quoted above, no.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

I checked the last several emails I've received from Amazon, and they all end with "Sincerely, Amazon.com" and the "Amazon.com" portion is ALWAYS a link although it isn't underlined. Is the OP's email suspicious? Yes. Is it a fake? Maybe, but then again Amazon is known for being quirky and sending out strange emails. To be safe, always delete such emails then later enter your account the normal way and change the password.

As far as security breaches go, I've had Adobe, T-Mobile, and the U.S. Office of Personnel Management all get hacked and my data possibly compromised in each of those cases, so always be suspicious.