Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #346
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Just double-checking before I start: I EXTRACT the jb.zip, yes?, and then put the extracted resulting jb FOLDER in the root directory of my Kindle?
No, put the "jb/jb" file in the root of the Kindle, then serve the "jb/*.html" files in a webserver.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #347
nigredo
nigredo began at the beginning.

Device: k4nt, voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Did you...uh...run ;fc-cache in the search bar?
I should be very tired today, I read the message in the jb script, the title bar has a too tiny font... And so i don't get the meaning...

It worked !

Thanks you Branch Delay !

It must be very hard to figure out so a convolute way to get root's privilege.
nigredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #348
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Oops - -
Amazon is taking this seriously - just received:
Quote:
Dear xxxx yyyy,

- Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
- Connect to Wi-Fi.
- From the Home screen of your Kindle, select Menu or tap the Menu icon. Then choose Sync and Check for Items.
- Leave your Kindle connected to both power and Wi-Fi overnight, or until the update is complete.

For your 3G device(s) that don't have Wi-Fi support (Kindle First and Second Generations):
- Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
- Turn on wireless.
- Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete.<br/><br/>If you do not update the devices' software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via Wi-Fi or a wireless connection. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on each of your Kindle devices. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically: www.amazon.com/ku2016
That means they are going to update my K2 and DX, DXG models over 3G !!!
So much for the posts above about the OTA being delayed by weeks - better to think "Hours".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #349
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The K2, DX, DXG are all still showing fw2.5.8
The K3 still shows 3.4.2 (I think they already fixed that one. )

The K1 seems to have gotten an emergency update from 1.2 to 1.2.1 and I unpacked it with kindletool -- it updates /opt/usr/java/lib/security/cacerts
That is all.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #350
RoBoKoP
Enthusiast
RoBoKoP began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Worked on Japanese PW2 (905A 22xx xxxx xxxx)
EDIT: Can I safely update to 5.7.2?
RoBoKoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #351
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes.

Once you are jailbroken, the jailbreak is known and reported to survive the 5.7.2 update.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #352
gett
gett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkalo View Post
HardReset+English is what I did, so it seems at least for the moment I'm out of luck.
I'll try again with language english-gb instead of english-us, although I doubt this will change anything

@gett: what is the beginning of your S/N? We can create a list of known models where JB does not work to avoid frustration to other users
G090 G105

EDIT
It's possible to JB with this S/N
I use this

Last edited by gett; 02-06-2016 at 03:26 AM.
gett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #353
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm pretty confused by the topic.

I put the jb files in the root of the kindle (this is where it goes correct? I couldn't figure it out from BD's instructions, since its linux based and I use OSX). Since my internet is fast, I used a different router with no wifi access to try to connect the kindle. It does not work, because the kindle complains that it does not have internet access and will not connect to it.

It started to tell me to connect to wifi for the update, which I will not do, but in order to jailbreak, I must connect? Since they are going to update it via 3G, I will have to do this soon. Is there an IRC or something I can ask specific questions on?

Quote:
Serve up jb folder on port 80 on a web server.
DNS redirect "a" to the web server via man in the middle, changing the server name on your network, adding an entry to your DNS server on your router, etc. (if you specify a wireless network and click advanced, you can put in a static DNS server)

i.e. after all of this, browsing to a should open up index.html.
By this it means I connect a computer to the kindle or the kindle connects to itself?
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #354
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Add the empty file "WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE" to the root of the Kindle drive (/Volumes/Kindle if I remember OSX correctly) and the Kindle will stop complaining when it fails to reach the Internet connectivity test page.
The "jb/jb" file must therefore be added as "/Volumes/Kindle/jb"

And the Kindle must browse to a server running on your computer. The server must be set to display the "jb/*.html" files.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #355
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No, put the "jb/jb" file in the root of the Kindle, then serve the "jb/*.html" files in a webserver.
Done!
Although it may take a few hours to propage around the world's dns system.

In the device that does your 'local wifi' to Internet routing - -
That is, your PC or Router or whatever - - -
Make whatever change is the same as changing a Linux system router's /etc/host file by adding the entry:
Code:
208.113.182.154    a
Warning: I seem to recall that the Windows host file has those two columns reversed.

Try it, in any browser - enter the above ip address, when you see BD's warning page - it is working for your location.

Then, open the jb.zip file -
Go to the jb subdirectory (a.k.a: folder) -
find the jb file -
connect your kindle by usb cable to your pc -
transfer (copy) the jb file to the top of visible storage (right along side the 'documents' directory) -
safely remove (or eject) -
disconnect the usb cable -
on your KINDLE - select the 'experimental' browser -
in the address bar enter the single letter 'a' (no quotes) -
press enter -
follow directions that are now on-screen

See attachment for what you should now be looking at on your Kindle:

= = = =

That is the best that I can do.

But I can't test it myself - anyone who does give it a try - post here if it works for you (or if it does not work for you).

= = = =

Corrections provided by: CalbertAmu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jb-sshot.png
Views:	617
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	146083  

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #356
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am on Mac's terminal and wondering if I will need to emulate Linux to follow this guide.

I could use the linux computer in my school but I'm not sure if the commands require special permission. In any case, just the possibility of it keeps me hopeful
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #357
HumanSlayer
HumanSlayer began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
PW2 Succeded. Did on windows 7
Serial starts with 9017 2201.
Let it stay idle after jailbreak and got blank screen. Locked and unlocked and everything became as it should be.
HumanSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #358
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post
I am on Mac's terminal and wondering if I will need to emulate Linux to follow this guide.

I could use the linux computer in my school but I'm not sure if the commands require special permission. In any case, just the possibility of it keeps me hopeful
If your Mac is also your home router, then you need to make the entry in your /etc/hosts file.
If your Mac is **NOT** your home router, you only need it to unpack the jb.zip archive and transfer the jb/jb file to your kindle.

Translation: Yes, it works on a Mac

Let see if I can be clearer - -

There are two things that have to happen:

1) you must be able to get the file named: jb out of the sub-directory named jb in the archive file attached above, named: jb.zip

2) you must modify your local network routing so that when you enter the single character 'a' (without the quotes) in the Kindle's browser the packets are actually sent to the ip address:

That's it, just those two things have to happen.
And one is just like side-loading anything else onto your Kindle.

= = = =

And for the curious -
Yes, I had to buy that IP address for this purpose, and it is costing about $60 per year.
So I don't promise to keep it up for very long (I am purchasing it by the month).

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #359
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post

/mnt/us is just the KINDLE root.

knc1, do you mean I put the /jb/ folder in the kindle root, or all the files from the jb folder onto the root?

I tried your instructions, but when I go to a it doesn't work.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #360
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
/mnt/us is just the KINDLE root.

knc1, do you mean I put the /jb/ folder in the kindle root, or all the files from the jb folder onto the root?

I tried your instructions, but when I go to a it doesn't work.
I mean that you put the single file, named: jb in the kindle root.

Not the jb.zip archive.
Not the jb folder.
Just the jb file, nothing else, just that one file.

= = = =

Please give me more details of the failure than: Doesn't work
I can't do anything with that information only.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking