Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #16
sb1370
Enthusiast
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You might have trouble buying books, though, as most companies cannot legally sell to customers in Iran.
Not a big problem, There are many ways to do so (VPN, proxy ,...).
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1370 View Post
So, what about the advantages of E-ink?
If a tablet can do that, I can borrow my brother's tablet. He doesn't use it.
It would certainly be worth trying the tablet first, as then you'll find out whether it's the backlight LCD that's giving you eyestrain, or whether it's just your reading position when reading from a computer monitor.

I much prefer eInk over LCD myself, but I did read for several years on backlight LCDs in PDAs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
uncletoma
Connoisseur
uncletoma doesn't litteruncletoma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
E-Ink screen is much better, it's just a replacement waiting for an ereader
uncletoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
So, what about the advantages of E-ink?
If a tablet can do that, I can borrow my brother's tablet. He doesn't use it.
A tablet can do all that an E Ink reader can do for features. You can read about E Ink in our wiki. The advantages of E Ink are related to the technology. E Ink has much better display outdoors in the sun. It has much better battery life, do the fact that it does not need refreshing of the page (weeks vs. hours). The fact that it doesn't need refreshing also means there is no flicker which can help your eyes when reading a lot. Today's technology has front light capability for E Ink which means you can read in the dark. This can be turned off when not needed. E Ink is typically monochrome with 16 levels of gray scale.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
E Ink has much better display outdoors in the sun. It has much better battery life, do the fact that it does not need refreshing of the page (weeks vs. hours).
Hope you don't mind a minor correction, Dale.

LCD screens don't need refreshing; they aren't like CRT displays, where a pixel instantly starts to fade, and must be refreshed to stay illuminated. An LCD screen will display a steady image for as long as power is applied to it. The reason an eink display uses less power has nothing to do with refreshing, but is due to the fact that it only uses power to update it. Once the image has been written to the screen, power to the screen can be removed and (unlike an LCD) the image remains on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hope you don't mind a minor correction, Dale.

LCD screens don't need refreshing; they aren't like CRT displays, where a pixel instantly starts to fade, and must be refreshed to stay illuminated. An LCD screen will display a steady image for as long as power is applied to it. The reason an eink display uses less power has nothing to do with refreshing, but is due to the fact that it only uses power to update it. Once the image has been written to the screen, power to the screen can be removed and (unlike an LCD) the image remains on the screen.
Good point, it is the power must remain to keep the transistors in the state they are in and it needs power to run the light for you to see the display and there is often motion on the screen based on clocks, wifi connections and other banner activity. Even if it is not changing it is often updated. That is so much more to say that it might refresh the screen but technically you are correct. It is not refresh to keep it alive.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #22
sb1370
Enthusiast
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and I need to find another way to buy it.
Thank you guys, I read your answers. IMO one of the other advantages of kindle is that it has a matt display. Glare screens are annoying specially at days, even indoor.
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #23
uncletoma
Connoisseur
uncletoma doesn't litteruncletoma doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and I need to find another way to buy it.
Thank you guys, I read your answers. IMO one of the other advantages of kindle is that it has a matt display. Glare screens are annoying specially at days, even indoor.
Agree but... if you can buy in China via, e.g., Aliexpress... there are some chinese ereaders there
uncletoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stores