Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Well, there is only one place to buy Harry Potter books and there are only seven of them, so there isn't exactly an infinite supply. I suppose that some could start pirating the Harry Potter books, but so far people seem to be honoring the lack of DRM and not putting them on the pirate sites, just like they did with the Baen ebooks.
You can also "buy" them at a public library; my favorite source for audiobooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Jim Dale is the only reason I would even consider listening to Harry Potter (I read only the first book on paper and thought it was just "eh"). But I've loved Jim Dale ever since seeing him as Barnum onstage. Fantastic performer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think he does an excellent job reading the books. A great range of voices. I liked the first book and think that the second is the weakest of the series. The third, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is, IMPO, the best of the series. One of the things that I found interesting is that the voice of the books aged with the characters. By that I mean that the books seem to be written for the age of the characters. By the third book, the characters interactions and plot are more involved and complex. That would be the one I would recommend if you want to give Jim Dale a try.

If you just want to try Jim Dale as a reader, he also does several classics. Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol (I have that one and like it. ) Alice in Wonderland, Around the World in 80 Days. They are all at Audible.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you just want to try Jim Dale as a reader, he also does several classics. Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol (I have that one and like it. ) Alice in Wonderland, Around the World in 80 Days. They are all at Audible.
The Cricket on the Hearth, narrated by Jim Dale, is free at Audible.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Cricket on the Hearth, narrated by Jim Dale, is free at Audible.
Yes, I saw that and the Night Before Christmas. Jim Dale tends to shine more when he has a longer work with lots of character voices. It's sometimes harder to get a feel for a reader on a shorter work like that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You can also "buy" them at a public library; my favorite source for audiobooks.
Depends on your public library. At mine they'd probably look at you wondering what you just said if you ask for anything electronic (be it ebook or audiobook)... Let alone in a foreign language.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I "read" the Jim Dale versions of the books and they were excellent. But then the BC Library got them in and they got the Stephen Fry versions. Even better.

You can't buy the Stephen Fry versions if you're coming from a North American IP address. But that's certainly correctable.

And yes, your public library almost certainly has copies to borrow. They really are very well read by either narrator. But expensive.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #23
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And yes, your public library almost certainly has copies to borrow. They really are very well read by either narrator. But expensive.
I've got the Stephen Fry versions on CD and don't really like to think about what I paid for them more than ten years ago (for the first four, that is). But as other people have already said on this thread, they are worth every cent as I have listened to them many many times.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #24
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
YEA!!! WOO HOO! Audible just announced that they are selling the Happy Potter Series!!!

Now I can use my monthly credits and purchase them!!!
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
YEA!!! WOO HOO! Audible just announced that they are selling the Happy Potter Series!!!

Now I can use my monthly credits and purchase them!!!
Dang; you beat me to it!