Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by File View Post
davidfor, I actually used the holding power button method but wasnt 100% certain it had reset since things went quickly. I then used the paperclip to be sure.
Holding the power button down doesn't reset anything. It does an ordered shutdown of the device. When it is complete, you should have a "Powered off" message on the screen. And the surrounds of the cover image will be black rather than white.
Quote:
On 10/23/15 10am, 98% battery life. I put the device back to sleep, and did not open it again until today 10/24/15 10am, 63% )= Perhaps I'll remove all the books I had added even those I thought would not raise issue. Device was in sleep the entire period, disconnected, no wifi etc etc.

The sleep mode background is set to show the book cover, but not fullscreen. That has been the setting the whole time throughout the thread.

Additionally what would be the need to touch the screen after setting it to sleep? That was mentioned a few posts ago.
I think I mentioned that. I was referring to accidental touches. There has been problems in the past that if something touched the screen as the device went to sleep, it didn't sleep properly and drained the battery. But, that was quite a while ago and hasn't been reported with any firmware the Glo HD has used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When it is complete, you should have a "Powered off" message on the screen. And the surrounds of the cover image will be black rather than white.
Is there anyway to reverse it, i.e. ordinary black on white?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Is there anyway to reverse it, i.e. ordinary black on white?
The firmware uses back of off and white for sleeping. I don't know how to change either, but it can probably be patched if someone wants to look through the executables.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by File View Post
Its on the agenda of things to try, I considered it but wanted to see about these other choices first. I wouldn't really lose a great deal of statistics since its only from the end of August I've had the device.
Honestly for that severe (and annoying) battery drain, a complete reset would have been one of the first things I tried. It's a trivial matter to just transfer your books again through Calibre.

You'll get over losing the stats soon enough after you've had to reset the device a few times and realize they end up doing nothing but irritating you when that happens. Wait until you need to reset after a year or more. Then you'll stop even looking at the stats.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
mkeles84
Enthusiast
mkeles84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/Glo/Kindle PW2
Have you tried using Koreader on Glo HD, may be different performance.
mkeles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeles84 View Post
Have you tried using Koreader on Glo HD, may be different performance.
In my case, KOReader eats battery juice like crazy!!! Has anyone experienced same? I only have 2 books!
When in KOReader, my Kobo never goes to sleep.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
File
File can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device has been draining as I expect a device like this to normally drain. Since 10/24/15 where I last posted at 63%, I have been using it normally and not charging. I am down to about 43% battery with intermittent ~hour of reading day to day.

Seems to lose charge rapidly after disconnect (if not used right away?). I havent made any adjustments between now and then. I'll see about doing a factory reset in the coming days and report back any outcomes of that.
File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
In my case, KOReader eats battery juice like crazy!!! Has anyone experienced same? I only have 2 books!
When in KOReader, my Kobo never goes to sleep.
I don't know what's wrong with your Mini, but my Aura HDs should be using more power and I recharge whenever I notice them ~60% (maybe once a week). Now some would say that is excessive battery drainage, given the marketing claim of two months between charges. Their claim is based on ridiculously little daily use. I am very retired, and read a lot.

It is easy to leave the book you are reading and go to the File Manager (two pokes) [This will save your reading position and highlights and bookmarks.] Then two pokes more to get to KSM, and its "Power Off" function. Returning from Power Off takes me <15sec to the KSM menu, then I have Autoselect for Koreader in 10sec and Koreader set to start in the last open file. Which puts me back on the page I was reading at under 30sec.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #24
File
File can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Problem symptoms averted by powering off rather than stand-by between reading.
File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I don't know what's wrong with your Mini, but my Aura HDs should be using more power and I recharge whenever I notice them ~60% (maybe once a week). Now some would say that is excessive battery drainage, given the marketing claim of two months between charges. Their claim is based on ridiculously little daily use. I am very retired, and read a lot.

It is easy to leave the book you are reading and go to the File Manager (two pokes) [This will save your reading position and highlights and bookmarks.] Then two pokes more to get to KSM, and its "Power Off" function. Returning from Power Off takes me <15sec to the KSM menu, then I have Autoselect for Koreader in 10sec and Koreader set to start in the last open file. Which puts me back on the page I was reading at under 30sec.

Luck;
Ken
I do believe battery life marketing is based on reading only 30 minutes a day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #26
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I do believe battery life marketing is based on reading only 30 minutes a day.
Fast reader will have more page turns in 30 minutes resulting shorter battery life. Turning reader off and on probably uses more battery life than page turns or sleep.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery life, kobo glo hd, sleep mode