Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Here are some other things that are not officially supported by Kobo:

* Using the built-in web browser
* Sideloading KePubs
* Using Calibre to sideload (and much more)
* Installing third-party software
* Patching the firmware

How many people here don't depend on at least one of those things to make their reading experience better?
I don't have an issue with non-supported options being used. I just think if a non-supported feature has a problem, then don't call it a bug. Sure you can try to work around it or try to fix it, but it's not a bug since the feature isn't supported. That's all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #32
Jarrett
Jarrett began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
* Using the built-in web browser
Using the web browser on e-ink amuses me more than anything. I tried YouTube
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #33
MewCore
MewCore began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I have Glo HD on 3.17.3 but there are no notifications to update when syncing via wifi or when connected to Kobo Desktop. How do I obtain this update?

Tnx
MewCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #34
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I have just updated my Mini to 3.18.0, notwithstanding it is not officially supported, and applied the patches.

I am reading without problems.

Thanks to all concerned.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #35
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Don't knock the mighty web browser - I ordered a DVD with it in double-quick time last night. And there's definitely a guilty thrill in using a Kobo Touch to purchase a Kindle eBook

I'll be honest, I'm a bit wary about letting another firmware upgrade install. The last two haven't gone particularly smoothly, and I've only just got everything loaded back on after having to do a full factory reset because of 3.17.0.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 AM   #36
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'm sure refreshing every page turn will have an affect on battery usage, but I don't think the effect would be that significant. I change my refresh options quite frequently and quite a bit of the time I have it set to refresh every page--simply to have clearer text on the page. I personally don't notice a difference in how long the battery charge lasts.

On the other hand, I can understand how this would be annoying to people who what to use the FullScreenReading setting and really don't like seeing the refresh.
I don't use the feature because it is having some problems, but as far as I know my old Sony does the page refresh also with every page turn,but it didn't do it before on the Kobo at every pageturn,and reading can be experienced a bit slower...and if you fiddle around a bit,it turns off the refresh all the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit I fail to understand why people insist on enabling the buggy / unsupported / unfinished FullScreenReading mode.
I don't insist on that,but if you see how much is taken from a page and converted to blanc space while reading kepubs and you know there is a setting to get all this space back,even when unsupported,I can understand why people like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get is why people say there are bugs in FullScreenreading mode and complain about them. It's an unfinished/unsupported/unofficial feature. So if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and it's not a bug that it doesn't work properly.
It's an open forum so anyone who wants to complain,can do it.
But following your logic, if people can't call it a bug, they call it a beatle and then it is okay for you to discuss about it ??
It do is important that it is known because a lot of people use it and it now have another behavior then before.

The patches of GeoffR are also unsupported by Kobo, but after every new update from Kobo,most people here are waiting installing it until GeoffR release the new patches.
Why ??
And imho,when even with a undocumented setting when sudden strange things happening in a device,you can call it a bug.
Because for further developement of the feature it can be important to know what happens and why,and it now reacts with the unsupported fullscreen,but it can also react with other related things that might occur.
If there must be a discussion about everything found/supported or unsupported,to call it a bug or not,then this forum can be closed for 80%.

Calibre isn't also supported by Kobo, all the plugins are not supported by Kobo.. so then we could not react on anything,and stop using it because it isn't supported ?

If Kobo would look at the patches and learn from it why we use it,and change their firmware in that way so we would not use them anymore,we would all be ready and content.. here we say , with the word IF, you could place the whole world in a bottle..

For GeoffR it is important to know some answers,and a lot of people depend on him,and trust him to turn the reader in something usable.
I don't think it is fair to discuss if he calls it a bug or not.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 09-25-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 AM   #37
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MewCore View Post
I have Glo HD on 3.17.3 but there are no notifications to update when syncing via wifi or when connected to Kobo Desktop. How do I obtain this update?

Tnx
Edit the affiliate.conf file on the reader to read:
affiliate=BestBuyCA

That location gives you the fastest updates. Which could be a curse though if you find out later there's a bug that annoys you and you'll need to downgrade then. I keep mine set to BestbuyCA always, but I never turn on wifi unless I want to download new firmware so it doesn't bother me. I sideload all my books through Calibre.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #38
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I reboot the device starts to sync even though I have no automatic syncs in the settings. It's also still turning on WiFi every time waking from standby even though I'm not using the web browser / shop / whatever at the time (the only legit reason for it to wifi anything). I wish it would stop doing that.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #39
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
On the Aura the bug causes the screen to no longer be refreshed. On other devices it causes a full screen refresh to occur at every page turn regardless of the "Refresh the screen every" reading setting.
I am on an Aura, and only refresh after a chapter. It would have taken me a while to notice this! It amazes me how quickly you folks find this stuff.

I will likely stay with 3.18 and see if this "unexpected behavior in an undocumented/unsupported feature" (rather than calling it a bug) bothers me.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #40
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
When I reboot the device starts to sync even though I have no automatic syncs in the settings. It's also still turning on WiFi every time waking from standby even though I'm not using the web browser / shop / whatever at the time (the only legit reason for it to wifi anything). I wish it would stop doing that.
There is a new setting in the [ApplicationPreferences] section of my Glo's config file: syncOnNextBoot=false

This must be related to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • After a sync that finds and applies an update, the regular sync is completed after update
One new thing I noticed since 3.17.3 is that after sync says it is complete, but is really still running in the background, when I turn wi-fi off I don't get a popup telling me sync is still running and asking if I want to cancel, it just turns wi-fi off and silently cancels the sync.

In some ways this is even worse than 3.17.3, because now I have no way to know for sure if sync is actually finished or not. I think the old way was best, before 3.17.3, where it didn't run in the background and I could see when it had really finished.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #41
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
PinchToZoom?

Last edited by Dryhte; 09-25-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: nevermind, found it: pinch to zoom still not fixed
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #42
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Also don't knock the web browser. I have used it to download .epub files directly to my device when I had no usb cable available.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I view the browser as being in a different class from the FullScreenReading mode; the browser has been officially exposed to us the user (albeit flagged as Beta), while FullScreenReading was only found by looking for strings in the firmware.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #44
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I view fullscreen mode as the way to make kepubs acceptable. One of the draws of the H2O to me was the screen size, giving up a chunk of that to what it arguably useless information was enough of a turn off that I didn't bother converting to kepub until sideloaded kepubs got some love.

Am I annoyed they changed things in such a way that it introduced issues with fullscreen reading? Yeah, it was working fine with patches. Do I consider it a bug or something worth reporting to Kobo outside of a desire to see fullscreen reading as a usable option? Nope. I'll just switch back to epub.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #45
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I view fullscreen mode as the way to make kepubs acceptable. One of the draws of the H2O to me was the screen size, giving up a chunk of that to what it arguably useless information was enough of a turn off that I didn't bother converting to kepub until sideloaded kepubs got some love.

Am I annoyed they changed things in such a way that it introduced issues with fullscreen reading? Yeah, it was working fine with patches. Do I consider it a bug or something worth reporting to Kobo outside of a desire to see fullscreen reading as a usable option? Nope. I'll just switch back to epub.
I totally agree (exept of it it a bug or not..) but I have asked Kobo many times to extend their screen a bit,unpatched you lost almost a cm on top of a kepub, and at least 2 cm on the bottom,making a 6 inch screen almost a 5 inch one.
Kobo knows,that with epubs, unpatched the same almost 2 cm footer is there.
It is for a lot of people the reason why they patch it.
As others pointed out so,it is not the responsibility of Kobo that an undocumented option is now disturbed, BUT if everyone keeps thinking we don't tell Kobo that we don't like it that they "steal" so much space by headers and footers,they will never change it. (and I know almost as a fact that they know we don't like it,for sure someone of Kobo is following the "patch" topic's..)
With my Sony, 6 inch,I never felt the need to patch something because the headers or footer space... and changing all the time from kepub to epub and vice versa just for lay-out changes,wasn't the first thing I was thinking about.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote