Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #256
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
If you download these to your PC for transfer to an E-ink Kindle, they are KF8. However, I believe the version that downloads to directly to devices is .AZW6. High resolution images are stored seperately. I think this allows a special zoom function for the comics. I know Kindle for PC doesn't support that. I don't know about the iphone app.

They could at least just send the KF8 file to Kindle for PC instead. If you run it through Alf's tools, it will open in K4PC.
I wasn't familiar with AZW6. I found a brief discussion on a Calibre bug report. Kovid doesn't seem interested in reverse engineering that one, at least as of last March.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #257
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I wasn't familiar with AZW6. I found a brief discussion on a Calibre bug report. Kovid doesn't seem interested in reverse engineering that one, at least as of last March.
It looks as if the new kfx format is a variant of AZW6.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #258
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Apprentice Harper on Alf's blog advises:
"I can confirm that Kobo Desktop 3.17 has changed the way the encryption key is stored, so that the obok plugin doesn’t work at present. It is still possible to download Kobo Desktop 3.15 from the Wayback Machine at

https://web.archive.org/web/20150505.../kobosetup.exe

Initial tests suggest that it is just the way the key is stored that has changed, not the key itself nor the encryption method used."
Now, if Kobo would have their programmers work on a contest that doesn't fail midway through, or delivering the ebooks that were actually ordered, etc., instead of playing another round of Hide-the-Key, they'd probably be in a lot better shape.

Anyway, I haven't yet encountered any Kobo or Amazon books that won't process. And I'm very grateful to the folks that help me read the books I've actually ordered.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #259
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
Kindle for PC version 1.12.2 is out. Seems to still work properly with the tools.

It has the Bookerly font as an option. I think that is new with this version of Kindle for PC.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #260
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle for PC version 1.12.2 is out. Seems to still work properly with the tools.

It has the Bookerly font as an option. I think that is new with this version of Kindle for PC.
Here is something interesting I opened ebooks that on the amazon site say have enhanced and they offer Bookery in new app, but then I open a book that says it does not have enhanced enabled the book does not offer any font options.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #261
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you mean when you say that the book does not offer any font options?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #262
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If I open a book in the K4PC that does not have the enhancements enabled it does not offer me a chance to change fonts, it does offer font sizes.
If the ebook had enhancements enabled then I have the choice between Bookery, and Georgia fonts.
The file type has not changed at all.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #263
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
If I open a book in the K4PC that does not have the enhancements enabled it does not offer me a chance to change fonts, it does offer font sizes.
If the ebook had enhancements enabled then I have the choice between Bookery, and Georgia fonts.
The file type has not changed at all.
It doesn't offer sans serif anymore? I better not update.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #264
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I recently read Three Essays on Religion: Nature, the Utility of Religion, Theism by John Stuart Mill on my Paperwhite and it did not allow for alternate font options. I think it may have been a publisher choice, and if so, a poor one, for the font supplied with the book was perhaps the worst I'd ever seen. (Full disclosure: The publisher was Prometheus Books; a publishing outfit for which I usually have nothing but praise.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #265
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
BTW, Harry, once de-DRMed and converted to a mobi format, the font options were restored. They are still unavailable on the original, however.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:23 AM   #266
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
BTW, Harry, once de-DRMed and converted to a mobi format, the font options were restored. They are still unavailable on the original, however.
Yes, because restricting fonts is presumably enforced via the DRM, just like TTS is.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #267
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No actually, that book is an old Topaz book. The glyphs are hard coded. When loaded into calibre it became an htmlz ebook with all it scanning errors intact and so became text and could then have its font changed.

If you look at the first 3 bytes of the sample file you will see the TPZ magic bytes

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 08-27-2015 at 05:35 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #268
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wow, I didn't know Amazon still sold those!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #269
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ahh. Just jumped in here, by way of searching for the term "kfx". I only started deDRMing two days ago (late to the game) so my Alf software is newly downloaded; latest version. I went through my lists of books I had paid cash for, and re-requested them from Amazon to my Voyage, them asked Calibre to import them.

Out of about 300 books, 8 of them --- by no means the most recent purchases -- got sent from Amazon as .kfx files. Calibre didn't even SEE that they were on the Voyage. I hand picked them off the Kindle via USB cable, and dropped them into Calibre for storage, but no deDRMing occurred.

I gather that's what you've been saying? That we can't deDRM them?

No help for it, then, I guess. Oh well. At least I've got about 300 books (or more) saved which weren't two days ago. I won't worry about the 8 that aren't saved.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #270
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Out of about 300 books, 8 of them --- by no means the most recent purchases -- got sent from Amazon as .kfx files. Calibre didn't even SEE that they were on the Voyage. I hand picked them off the Kindle via USB cable, and dropped them into Calibre for storage, but no deDRMing occurred.

I gather that's what you've been saying? That we can't deDRM them?
KFX books are split across multiple files. Saving just the main file isn't going to preserve anything for you. You also need to save the files in the '.sdr' directory associated with the book.

There isn't any way currently to de-DRM KFX books. Protected books will only function if they are restored to the same Kindle from which they were copied. Only books marked by Amazon as "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" will open when transfered to another device that supports KFX.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote