Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
wolverine73
wolverine73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
e-reader ergonomics

Let me start by stating I am a big fan of the evolution of the reading experience to the e-reader medium. There is however, in my opinion, a glaring fault in the design of e-readers I have had the opportunity to handle. I'm posting here optimistic that someone influential in the industry peruses these forums and is inspired by my observation and suggestion.

E-readers are hard to hold.

My hands are growing weary of gingerly trying to squeeze with a pincer grip the thin edge of the reader that surrounds the screen, all the while fearful of inadvertently brushing the touch screen with my skin and 'flipping' the page forward or back against my wishes. I would give anything for a proper handle on the device and would gladly sacrifice size and aesthetics to achieve this end. This handle should permit the reader to hold their device in either hand as to their preference.

A proper handle, please!

Please also embed a simple mechanical switch within the handle for turning the pages forward or back, perhaps with a subtle movement fore and aft of the end of my thumb. Touch screens are nice, but it would also be very nice to have this option.

Kind regards,

Wolverine73
wolverine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I know that recent Kindles use a capacitive touchscreen -- so using gloves would mean the touchscreen isn't triggered. Meanwhile, the Voyage has page turn buttons, which might be enough for you with or without gloves.
Or older models didn't have a touchscreen at all. The Kindle Keyboard for example is still a perfectly serviceable device, and can be gotten pretty cheaply too. I am unsure what non-Amazon devices compare, though.

As a general rule of thumb, the market is heading towards touch-everything, and it is assumed that everyone can cope with them just fine.
But you don't seem to be the only one who has trouble with accidental-touch page turns.
I personally have never suffered that problem. I naturally gravitate towards holding my Kindle by the back though -- maybe that helps?

Perhaps a case would add enough bulk that you could hold it by that and thus avoid touching the screen when you don't mean to?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you don't want a case on the device, don't want to put a Sling Grip or similar on the back, and the device size: hand size ratio is too large to comfortably hold the device as you might a smartphone, and you don't want to use a stand (if you read at a table): grab some sturdy elastic, make two loops, loop them over diagonal corners of the device so they form an X at the back of the reader, and slip your hand in.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I tried my new Voyage without a case for several weeks. It was too thin to be comfortable. Adding the standard Amazon case was just enough extra thickness to make it comfortable. And I like the "buttons", but actually preferred the slight lip that the Paperwhite had between the bezel and the screen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sadly, the JetBook Lite has been discontinued. You really sound like you'd appreciate the "battery bump" on the back!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Didn't really like using my voyage naked, tried a book cover case, that didn't really do the job either, so bought one of these and find mainly reading with hand through strap at back. Very comfortable. Case is a tad bulky but happy to accept that trade off.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...rch_detailpage
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, ergonomics, handle