Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #91
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
I couldn't find a general fiction thread. It's late, I'm tired, and I don't feel like creating a general fiction thread for September. This thread will have to do.

Got this in an email. I live in the United States, I don't know if the offer is good elsewhere.

Rosetta Books is offering the ebook An American Tragedy for free. I assume that it is the book described at http://www.amazon.com/American-Trage...erican+tragedy (this is not where you get the free book, keep reading).

I don't know from personal knowledge if this book is any good or not--I know almost nothing about modern fiction. But the Amazon page says that it has a rating of 4 1/2 stars. That's out of 195 reviews. So, I figure that it must be good.

I don't have a smartphone so as to test this out, but Rosetta says that you can download the ebook "in the RosettaBook app" at one of the following places:
In the (Apple) App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rose...33447%3Fmt%3D8.
On Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2e0391be5fd11c.
At (Barnes & Noble) Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rose...D2940147180440.
In Samsung Apps: http://apps.samsung.com/mars/topApps...e=RosettaBooks.

It looks like the above URLs might just give the apps and not the book itself--again, I don't have a smartphone, so I can't test it out. If so, check Rosetta's website (http://www.rosettabooks.com). I notice that there is a thumbnail of the book cover, that is "clickable," about 3/4 of the way down the page. If this doesn't get you to the free book, try doing a search for "Banned Books Week."

This giveaway might be ending on Sept. 28.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-25-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #92
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I couldn't find a general fiction thread. It's late, I'm tired, and I don't feel like creating a general fiction thread for September. This thread will have to do.
Are you aware of this thread?: Free and Bargain People & Cultures - Fiction
Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Are you aware of this thread?: Free and Bargain People & Cultures - Fiction
If a book doesn't fit any of the genre threads, just create a new thread for that book alone. These threads are here for convenience - they don't fit every circumstance.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #94
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post

Got this in an email. I live in the United States, I don't know if the offer is good elsewhere.

Rosetta Books is offering the ebook An American Tragedy for free. I assume that it is the book described at http://www.amazon.com/American-Trage...erican+tragedy (this is not where you get the free book, keep reading).

I don't know from personal knowledge if this book is any good or not--I know almost nothing about modern fiction. But the Amazon page says that it has a rating of 4 1/2 stars. That's out of 195 reviews. So, I figure that it must be good.

I don't have a smartphone so as to test this out, but Rosetta says that you can download the ebook "in the RosettaBook app" at one of the following places:
In the (Apple) App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rose...33447%3Fmt%3D8.
On Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2e0391be5fd11c.
At (Barnes & Noble) Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rose...D2940147180440.
In Samsung Apps: http://apps.samsung.com/mars/topApps...e=RosettaBooks.

It looks like the above URLs might just give the apps and not the book itself--again, I don't have a smartphone, so I can't test it out. If so, check Rosetta's website (http://www.rosettabooks.com). I notice that there is a thumbnail of the book cover, that is "clickable," about 3/4 of the way down the page. If this doesn't get you to the free book, try doing a search for "Banned Books Week."

This giveaway might be ending on Sept. 28.

I'm a fan of Theodore Dreiser and collect his books in hardback.

I read this back when I was in my 20s.

Dreiser is an important American writer, but his style is very clunky. He's a very 'wordy' writer and goes into great detail, but this is an aspect of his writing that I enjoy.

His first novel, "Sister Carrie," was banned for a short time (if my meory is correct) due to a moral controversy at that time.

This is in the public domain and is available at a number of places, I would imagine.

Thanks for mentioning this title.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #95
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free from the small-press re-publisher via KDP Select @ Amazon:

The Flower-Covered Corpse by the late Michael Avallone (SYKM, Wikipedia), 19th in his Ed Noon series of vintage pulp PI mystery adventures, this one originally out from Robert Hale/Curtis Books in 1969. We've previously gotten a few others in this series free a few years back, if you'd like to give a try to reading them in some semblance of order.

Startup imprint Story Merchant also offers a couple of other newer non-backlist freebies in various genres if you're interested: linkage for the lot

The first bad vibration came when a famous Guru was found swinging on a Greenwhich Village meat hook. The next arrived when someone used a bomb to blow more than hippies minds. The summer of love was over, and the only trace of flower power was the scent of poppies. The only way Ed Noon could turn off a turned-on killer was to take the ultimate trip to the depths of the Underground, where speed, sex and Satanism ruled supreme, and everyone was cool. Especially the corpses.

The Adventures of Ed Noon, Private Eye, spanning over 30 novels written between 1953 and 1990. Noon starts out dirt poor with a tiny office in Midtown Manhattan (his “Mouse Auditorium”) but success moves him to better digs, a lovely secretary (Melissa Mercer) and, eventually, the most important client of all: the President of the United States. The series concludes with a daring turn towards science fiction in the last two novels. Through it all, the wisecracking Noon is consistent: a movie and baseball-obsessed romantic who always fights the good fight. And, more often than not, wins.

Free from the author via KDP Select @ Amazon:

The Wrong Thing by Barry Graham, 2nd in his Phoenix Noir series of literary fiction crime-exploring novels, originally out from specialty small publisher PM Press (who've given us story collection sf/fantasy freebies from moderately obscure award-winning authors in the past) in 2011.

NOMINATED FOR THE SPINETINGLER AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL OF 2011

They call him The Kid. He's a killer, a dark legend of the Southwest's urban badlands, "a child who terrifies adults." They speak of him in whispers in dive bars near closing time. Some claim to have met him. Others say he doesn't exist, a phantom blamed for every unsolved act of violence, a ghost who haunts every blood-splattered crime scene.

But he is real. He's a young man with a love of cooking and reading, an abiding loneliness and an appetite for violence. He is a cipher, a projection of the dreams and nightmares of people ignored by the economic boom…and a modern-day outlaw in search of an ordinary life. Love brings him the chance at a new life in the form of Vanjii, a beautiful, damaged woman. But try as he might to abandon the past, his past won't abandon him. The Kid fights back in the only way he knows – and sets in motion a tragic sequence of events that lead him to an explosive conclusion shocking in its brutality and tenderness.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-25-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Remember seeing another.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #96
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you, ATDrake.

I just now got both of them.

I'm especially a fan of Michael Avallone, and was glad to get another free and wacky Ed Noon book.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #97
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Ahhh, you lucky ducks...
Looks like most of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books are 99p on Amazon UK (they're also in KU.) Also seem to be multiple publisher versions - Head of Zeus are on sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...2Cdigital-text

ETA: not on sale on Kobo UK (least not now)
Old 09-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #98
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

End of Enemies: A Briggs Tanner Novel
by Grant Thornwood

At BN.com FREE

Quote:
Overview:

#1 New York Times bestselling author Grant Blackwood introduces Briggs Tanner in a trilogy that Clive Cussler raves is “Pure fun, pure adventure.”

One Man.

Covert agent Briggs Tanner doesn’t like coincidences. In his business, they always mean trouble. So when a man is professionally assassinated right in front of him, Tanner wants answers.

One Mission.

Who pulled the trigger and why? And what is the mystery behind the key the man clutched in his dying hand—the key that Tanner now possesses?

One War Without End.

His search will lead him on an international trail, city to city, from the depths of the Pacific Ocean to the bullet-ridden back alleys of Beirut, all the way to a deadly secret—buried since the end of World War II—that only Tanner can keep from falling into the wrong hands.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #99
Froide
Wizard

Today's Open Road Media freebie:

The Thirty-Nine Steps (Richard Hannay Series, #1)
by John Buchan

At:

Quote:
Overview:

A young mining engineer must elude both foreign agents and British authorities to save his own life and expose a plot with catastrophic implications for Britain.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #100
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Ahhh, you lucky ducks...
Looks like most of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books are 99p on Amazon UK (they're also in KU.) Also seem to be multiple publisher versions - Head of Zeus are on sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...2Cdigital-text

ETA: not on sale on Kobo UK (least not now)
Thanks! I've been waiting for a good sale on the Cadfael books. Hmmm... wait and see if they appear on Kobo UK, perhaps couponable, or go for them on Amazon now?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks! I've been waiting for a good sale on the Cadfael books. Hmmm... wait and see if they appear on Kobo UK, perhaps couponable, or go for them on Amazon now?
It's a one-day deal on Amazon, so I wouldn't wait if I were you.

Inevitably, they waited until I'd bought the entire series at full price .
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #102
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a one-day deal on Amazon, so I wouldn't wait if I were you.

Inevitably, they waited until I'd bought the entire series at full price .
An Amazon daily deal? OK then. Hmmm... I think I have enough budget left. I just need to see which ones I already have.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An Amazon daily deal?
Precisely:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...577623&ie=UTF8
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #104
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Amazon UK freebie:

Stolen Child by Laura Elliot (Avon)

Product Description
Quote:
SHE WILL FIND THE WOMAN WHO TOOK HER DAUGHTER

It's every mother's worst nightmare

Carla Kelly wakes to find her two-day-old baby daughter's cot empty.

Isobel has been taken.

Susanne Dowling has kept a terrible secret following her fifth agonising miscarriage. When at last she welcomes her new baby daughter into her life she realises they will both be safe as long as Susanne keeps her daughter close, and confesses her lie to no one. Ever.

Carla, a top model, launches a fierce national campaign to find her baby – but the trail is cold. She receives threats and recriminations from strangers – she flaunted her pregnancy in the media, she cashed in on it, she deserves everything she gets – and, pressured by well-meaning loved ones to move on, she begins to fall apart.

But one letter Carla receives stands out from the rest, offering support from a surprising quarter. It sparks a chain of events that opens wounds and exposes shocking secrets from Carla’s past that suggest what happened to her daughter was revenge a long time planned .

And it will bring Carla unknowingly close to the stolen daughter she has sworn she will do anything to get back …
Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #105
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Amazon UK freebie:

Stolen Child by Laura Elliot (Avon)
That's also been free @ Kobo UK since late last night and will probably pop up at B&N UK in a few more days as well in the typical pattern for non-iTunes-pricematch HarperCollins UK freebies.

Free from the author via KDP Select @ Amazon:

Another Quiet Night in Desperation and Other Stories by Michael Lister (SYKM), a collection of shorts. Lister, as mentioned upthread, has been an Adams Media-published author from whom we've previously received official publisher promo freebies.

4 dark crime stories by Michael Lister.
Closed Thread