Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #76
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhilndr View Post
Thanks for answering Nate. Just to clarify that I meant the small bezel directly around the screen, not the wider outer part. It seems shiny in reviews and photos, just like the one on the old Nook classic. If it doesn't catch light and stand out while reading, then I will pre-order one.
Ah, now I understand. Yes, it is shiny. But in order to notice that it is shiny I actually have to intentionally hold it at an odd angle so it will reflect the light.

I don't think it's an issue.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #77
luvhilndr
Connoisseur
luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Ah, now I understand. Yes, it is shiny. But in order to notice that it is shiny I actually have to intentionally hold it at an odd angle so it will reflect the light.

I don't think it's an issue.
Thank you. I'm still on the fence about ordering though.

Last edited by luvhilndr; 09-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.
luvhilndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #78
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I haven't finished the review but I did post something which might interest you:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...creen-quality/
From the article:

Quote:
... For example, the Aura H2O doesnít like any of the USB cables other than its own: the Aura HD is less picky and will work with any cable that has the correct-sized plug. ...
What a PITA. What was Kobo thinking?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #79
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I'm going to try to write it this weekend.
It's Tuesday...
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #80
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's Tuesday...
He did mention in one of these threads that his full review was delayed.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #81
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's Tuesday...
Actually, it's Wednesday...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #82
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
They're on the same firmware now, so this is probably redundant, but when I am reading all i see is the text and the page number at the bottom of the screen. There's no header.
That's because you are reading an epub, so you are using built-in Adobe RMSDK renderer.

The header only appears in kepubs (the "enhanced" epub version from kobo) which are rendered by ACCESS (another renderer).

(Unless you buy and download a book directly from Kobo bookstore, the best way to convert epubs into kepubs is through KoboTouch Extended Driver plug-in for Calibre. Although you need DRM-free books..., native or with the help of an Apprentice called Alf).

EDITED ---

I've just seen your pictures and in fact it seems there's a clear difference:
  • Whites are whiter AND blacks are blacker. It really seems Carta advertisement is going to be true after all...
  • White balance is always a tricky issue but it really seems that HD is more yellow than H2O. Although that is pretty strange to me. If I had to say something about my HD white tone I'd say it's somehow bluish, and this is not what your pictures tend to show...

Last edited by arspr; 09-16-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Blog watched
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #83
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
That's because you are reading an epub, so you are using built-in Adobe RMSDK renderer.

The header only appears in kepubs (the "enhanced" epub version from kobo) which are rendered by ACCESS (another renderer).
Ah, I don't use Kobo enough to have picked that up. Thanks, you've given me another reason to avoid them.

To answer his question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Nate, thanks for taking questions. Does the h2o light have a cooler or warmer tone than the HD? Also, can both header and footer be turned off for maximum screen real estate.
I do not see a way to turn off the header and footer. I just double checked all of the settings menus.

I think we're stuck with using that one hack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo aura h2o header footer.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	128452  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #84
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ah, I don't use Kobo enough to have picked that up. Thanks, you've given me another reason to avoid them.
You're welcome

Quote:
To answer his question:

I do not see a way to turn off the header and footer. I just double checked all of the settings menus.

Now, watching your thumbnail, you are reading a Kepub...
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #85
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
You're welcome

Now, watching your thumbnail, you are reading a Kepub...
The review unit came with a few ebooks preloaded. I also own a handful of ebooks bought from Kobo.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #86
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
Quote:

Hi

Which hack is that? I googled and there are several discussions about it but it's not clear which one still works for latest firmware.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #87
Ryzir
Enthusiast
Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I'm pretty sure it's this one he is talking about.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245204
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Hi

Which hack is that? I googled and there are several discussions about it but it's not clear which one still works for latest firmware.
I'd suspect the one that permits you to disable the header/footer. Under [FeatureSettings] in the Kobo eReader.conf file, add FullScreenReading=true. You then get an extra entry in the Reading Settings to allow showing or hiding the header and footer.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
Screenshots=true
The screenshot shows the setting. Removing the check mark disables the header/footer.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	header-footer.png
Views:	964
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	128455  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #89
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd suspect the one that permits you to disable the header/footer. Under [FeatureSettings] in the Kobo eReader.conf file, add FullScreenReading=true. You then get an extra entry in the Reading Settings to allow showing or hiding the header and footer.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
Screenshots=true
The screenshot shows the setting. Removing the check mark disables the header/footer.

Regards,
David
FeatureSettings is not mentioned in that file on the Aura H2O, but as an exeriment I added all 3 lines and the option to remove the header and footer did indeed appear in the settings menu.

That was easy. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on Kobo.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #90
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
FeatureSettings is not mentioned in that file on the Aura H2O, but as an exeriment I added all 3 lines and the option to remove the header and footer did indeed appear in the settings menu.

That was easy. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on Kobo.
Change Screenshots=true to false or your power switch will be taking screenshots rather than sending your ereader to sleep mode.

Should have removed that line but enabled for the screenshot with my original message.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote