Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Is it possible to prevent copying of calibre portable

I am new to calibre. I am using calibre portable on my 64 gb pen drive and have added about 800 books to its library. Everything is working fine and I have tweaked calibre to my liking and needs.

I will be giving be giving this library to my students for regerence work sometimes. I dont have any issues with them copying individual books from my calibre library. But I dont want them to copy the whole calibre portable library.

But calibre portable should retain all its functionality but the whole folder should not be copied off.

I tried a few apps to prevent usb copying, but they also prevent some of the functionality of calibre from running, like addind new books and editing metadata and sending individual book file to hard disk.

How can this be achieved?
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@drmadhupk - I doubt that it can be done. Even if you did find a way to do it then I daresay your students would see it as a challenge and crack it within a couple of days.

Have you considered making your library available via the calibre server so that your students access it via a browser. This is a bit out of date, but I think the gist of it holds true ==>> How To Access Your eBook Collection Anywhere in the World

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By trust only...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Thanks guys. But found a app called "usb copy protection" which fulfils all my needs. But its $50 for 10 usbs. I need to copy protect only one which is not worth. So I let go.
Have decided opt for solution provided by @PeterT..... TRUST
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unless your books are in the public domain, allowing your students to copy them is copyright infringement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Copy your library to a second flashdrive, and remove the books that you don't want/legally can't share.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

or shift format to password protected pdf or zip - but it would be tedious to invent & then not forget 800+ passwords .

if you plan to circulate data , surely burn-to-cd is safer than flashdrive - no-one can add a virus or alter content on a finalized CD - if you have a lack of trust issue then do you really want to re-mount that flash drive once it's returned ?

PS many flash drives come with their own pre-installed security software, so you can protect the whole drive to various levels , depending on how smart that software is
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And how smart the student is....
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm AFAIK a well chosen password made of random stuff, not some word from a dictionary, is pretty much uncrackable for both PDF & ZIP. it need social engineering skills to deduce & persuade, rather than CPU power.

There are tools that will take a pdf or zip file & run an entire dictionary of all words of a given length, but brute force vs random gibberish of arbitrary length is different -

but ithe latter is also impossible to memorise, & once you create passwords file as an aide memoire, well there goes your security
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote